Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

24 minutes ago, JPJCB said:

He’s been very badly treated by Southgate/England. Why exactly was he dropped when he’s comfortably one of the best English left sided CBs in the PL and never let England down? 

I'm positive there is something more to it. Southgate's reasoning was very wishy washy. 

It'll come out one day. 

33 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I can’t believe he’s still the England manager. Should’ve been sacked after the WC loss instead of given more time.

Southgate is a moron but he’s playing a different game than we think he is. He has a cushy £6m a year coming in and wants to keep it.  He’s kept the morons at the FA happy who think his job is to keep them as cosy as he is, not cause any trouble, say nothing in the slightest controversial and generally be a jolly good chap. He keeps players in the squad who can’t get a game at their clubs because they form a protective barrier around him. Since most of them play for the “big” clubs that generally appeases them and the pundits. So nobody ever asks any difficult questions when things go wrong. When results really start to go south the favoured squad members inevitably rally to his support, which is why they’re in the squad. 

Tyrone plays for us and we’re not deemed worthy. That Joe bloke who used to play for us was in a similar position, possibly made worse by not falling to his knees in front of England’s saviour when he was the U21 manager. No bad boys for saintly Southgate. Between them he and the FA have wasted a generation of talent at a time when some of the big hitting nations, Brazil, Germany, Holland, Spain etc weren’t quite at their best. Ironically neither are Italy but they still had enough to beat England at Wembley when it mattered. 

I can’t imagine him getting a job in the PL with any decent club. Although I can imagine us appointing him under Lerner. Once again thank God we’ve got NSWE pulling the strings. Mind you I’m not overly confident that appointing him wouldn’t be the kind of trick Purslow would pull off. Thankfully Nas took a grip of the management situation just in time. 

Sorry I may have drifted slightly off topic, what I’m trying to say is Tyrone Mings should be playing for England. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I couldn’t give a shit whether or not he plays for England, he was excellent today.

i do when multiple players walk into the squad just because they play for scum 6 teams

mings could sign for utd or spurs and would england call ups to every squad. look at that spurs defence today...mings is easily good enough for that level

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Another game where no one will say much about how solid he is. Then one error in a few weeks and he'll be slaughtered.

it's funny how seldom commentators make reference to it during games though. you'd think a player who has been in previous england squads would get a bit more airtime. as others have said, he did a right job on kane today, but sky never mentioned it

to be fair, i defend ty on here (and off here) ad nauseam when he's criticised but i too forget to bump the threads of the defenders when we have a great win because often it's the attacking players that take the majority of the plaudits

anyway...if there was a player of the season vote tomorrow he'd have my vote. arguably his best so far in a villa shirt which makes his omission from the england squad even more criminal

• Like 3

On 01/01/2023 at 18:57, JPJCB said:

He’s been very badly treated by Southgate/England. Why exactly was he dropped when he’s comfortably one of the best English left sided CBs in the PL and never let England down? 

I mean he hit a little 'rocky patch'  and was instantly out almost as if Southgate was looking for a reason. It's all a bit sus and especially when you consider the Maguire scenario Where he's been so bad yet Southgate kept the faith. 

If someone speculated it was racial I wouldn't dismiss the idea tbh. Defo some weird anti BLM agenda still exists and we all know Ty is a big supporter of the cause. 

2 hours ago, KAZZAM said:

I mean he hit a little 'rocky patch'  and was instantly out almost as if Southgate was looking for a reason. It's all a bit sus and especially when you consider the Maguire scenario Where he's been so bad yet Southgate kept the faith. 

If someone speculated it was racial I wouldn't dismiss the idea tbh. Defo some weird anti BLM agenda still exists and we all know Ty is a big supporter of the cause. 

If we were into conspiracy theories I’d be less about direct racism and more about him directly attacking (quite correctly in my opinion but I’m not the FA) a government minister and calling her a hypocrite.

However I think his form had dipped and, as others have said, Southgate is an idiot anyway. I’m delighted for Tyrone he went from a constant injury mess to regular games for us in the Championship to winning 17 England caps and getting to the final of the Euros. I’m sure he wishes he’d gone to Qatar but I doubt he expected to play for England at all a few years ago. Good for him.

On 01/01/2023 at 12:22, Xela said:

I'm positive there is something more to it. Southgate's reasoning was very wishy washy. 

It'll come out one day. 

As we know he's not only a very principled guy but he's a few levels of intelligence above the average footballer (no insult intended.)

So it wouldn't surprise me, if, behind the scenes, Tyrone had said that he didn't want to play in a world cup based in Qatar because of the politics surrounding hosting the world cup there - but also didn't want a big fuss made about it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

As we know he's not only a very principled guy but he's a few levels of intelligence above the average footballer (no insult intended.)

So it wouldn't surprise me, if, behind the scenes, Tyrone had said that he didn't want to play in a world cup based in Qatar because of the politics surrounding hosting the world cup there - but also didn't want a big fuss made about it.

I did think that was a possibility, and yes it would also make sense to do it privately, as he would get crucified as a woke attention seeker for it.

However, most of our players who were in contention for the World Cup missed out due to Steven Gerrard being a shit manager, and making them all look shit too. So it’s likely the more mundane explanation is true.

Personally I’d have taken him as his England form has always been good, and that’s kept other players in the squad during rough patches at their clubs.

IMO Mings is a victim of modern brainless social media football culture where everything is reduced to little clips of moments of magic or glaring errors. It’s created a narrative around him which isn’t really true if you watch him for 90 mins week in week out. He’s a solid centre back who’s proved he can mix it with world class players. He’s not the tidiest footballer, but that’s pretty typical of big ball winning centre halves.

No doubt he’ll make a mistake against Wolves and this thread will have another 15 pages, but let’s appreciate him when he’s playing well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

If we were into conspiracy theories I’d be less about direct racism and more about him directly attacking (quite correctly in my opinion but I’m not the FA) a government minister and calling her a hypocrite.

Yes, his Tweet about Priti Patel would have gone down like a lead balloon within the upper echelons of the FA and whilst someone like Kane would have just had a warning, Mings is more dispensable to England. Not saying he got dropped purely because of this but he did suddenly fall out of favour not long after.

7 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I did think that was a possibility, and yes it would also make sense to do it privately, as he would get crucified as a woke attention seeker for it.

However, most of our players who were in contention for the World Cup missed out due to Steven Gerrard being a shit manager, and making them all look shit too. So it’s likely the more mundane explanation is true.

Personally I’d have taken him as his England form has always been good, and that’s kept other players in the squad during rough patches at their clubs.

IMO Mings is a victim of modern brainless social media football culture where everything is reduced to little clips of moments of magic or glaring errors. It’s created a narrative around him which isn’t really true if you watch him for 90 mins week in week out. He’s a solid centre back who’s proved he can mix it with world class players. He’s not the tidiest footballer, but that’s pretty typical of big ball winning centre halves.

No doubt he’ll make a mistake against Wolves and this thread will have another 15 pages, but let’s appreciate him when he’s playing well.

The social media thing isnt helped by any goal we concede some sections of our own fan base jump on him

None of the rest of the back 4 get as much unfair or even deserved criticism. Mings gets a majority of the blame

43 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The social media thing isnt helped by any goal we concede some sections of our own fan base jump on him

None of the rest of the back 4 get as much unfair or even deserved criticism. Mings gets a majority of the blame

Well there’s definitely a big element of his so-called “personality” (ie appearance and political views) winding up the more Neanderthal sections of our fanbase.

But I do think a lot of it is his playing style and the types of mistakes he makes. He always takes responsibility, he’s the leader at the back, and he’s a big unit who moves a bit clumsily and likes to have the ball and take risks from time to time.

Konsa is a more technical player, tidier, but nowhere near Mings’s level in the air, and I think gets caught out positionally more often. But these often don’t look like mistakes unless you watch it back a few times.

Or Young (rightly) got plaudits vs Spurs but played Perisic onside for the Kane header, which from memory was a pretty bad mistake given the other 3 had stepped in line.

Mings’s mistakes tend to be more obvious stuff like stumbling on the ball or smashing a pass into touch. But he’s the only player in our squad capable of pocketing Haaland.

But yeah it’s also just one of those things that has become fashionable. Half the people saying it have barely watched him play.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â