Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m concerned but I think we need to give him at least about 10 games of the season before we know where we are with him as manager. 

That sounds fair. Im not suggesting sack him like the ridiculous thread asking for next villa manager after ONE league game. But we need to see a vast improvement quickly. As yesterday was awful and shite 

As much as i say mings is a 1 in 5 konsa is a 1 in 10 last season

• Like 1

For me the issue isn't just him not playing yesterday in isolation, outside of it being for Konsa anyway, as Chambers has more than made a case for himself with his performances. It's the combination of that along with the general manner in which the captaincy situation was handled and Gerrard's comments on him yesterday. He's trying to make a statement with it and is coming off worse for it.

6 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Let’s not forget, Mings was poor this pre season he shouldn’t have started.

It’s crazy that the same fans that were slating him are the ones now backing him..

We're backing him over how this situation has been handled. No need for Slippy to wait until the last week to strip the captaincy, demote him, and humiliate him with sly digs in interviews

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

It’s crazy that the same fans that were slating him are the ones now backing him..

A lot of fans were saying he shouldn’t be starting for us anymore.  It’s a daft stick to beat Gerrard with. We shouldnt be losing to Bournemouth regardless of who our centre half pairing was.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

A lot of fans were saying he shouldn’t be starting for us anymore.  It’s a daft stick to beat Gerrard with. We shouldnt be losing to Bournemouth regardless of who our centre half pairing was.

In isolation it is but it's part of a whole raft of mistakes that led to such a poor performance yesterday. What ever your view on Mings ability, Gerrard has treated him poorly in terms of captaincy.

19 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I don’t think anyone is saying Mings is undroppable. No problem with playing someone ahead of him.

The issue is saying for months he’s captaining the club under review, letting that fester all pre-season, then stripping him of the captaincy a few days before the opening game, not including him on the list of vice captains or club captains or people he talked about as leaders in the club, benching him for the first game away against Bournemouth, his former club, so he sat basically amongst their fans getting abuse, and then giving clearly disingenuous answers where he implied Mings wasn’t mentally ready but also dropped in “he has a bit of a niggle” as an afterthought. 

• Like 2

I was surprised to see Mings on the bench and bewildered stripping him of the captaincy.

Yesterday Konsa is poor and Carlos is still finding his feet, the team needed Mings.

Both CBs resorted to hoofing the ball up the park at every opportunity...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We shouldnt be losing to Bournemouth regardless of who our centre half pairing was.

ability wise, agreed, but we needed a leader out there yesterday, which mings provides. there was no one driving that team on yesterday. i saw no one jeeing up that team when heads dropped (certainly not our actual captain, or either of our vice captains)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Neither should Konsa. If it was about preseason form than Chambers should’ve started.

And if there are fans that were slating him but now backing him, it’s not as if they’re flip-flopping for no reason. Tactically his height would’ve been incredibly useful against a tall Bournemouth team but also, and more importantly, it’s about how Gerrard seems to be treating him since he arrived.

Edited by Aston_Villan4
  • Like 1

This thread would have you believe that Gerrard had dropped Baresi and stripped him of the captaincy. 

Gerrard has said that he would make a decision on captaincy after pre season. He spoke repeatedly about issues with the mentality of the team last season and even went to the lengths of publicly calling this out. Mings was captain throughout this period so let’s not get all revisionist and somehow think that Mings has some mythical Terry/Keane type leadership skills that make the team better etc.

Furthermore Gerrard has again publicly stated that the first person he spoke to about the captaincy was Mings himself and told him the basis for his decision was to give him the space and room to focus on improving his own consistency. A respectful approach and one focussed on supporting the player. 

When asked the question yesterday he said that Ty is carrying a niggle and will be given every opportunity to get his place back. I don’t understand how anyone can view that as hanging the player out to dry and significantly implies that he wasn’t dropped - he just wasn’t in the right condition to start. Any other conclusion is absolute guesswork on those who want something else to beat the manager with.

He was then asked specifically about the captaincy issue and answered honestly that it had  impacted Mings (as we would all expect) hence the “look me in The Eye” comments. 

This is the sharp end of professional sport. It’s not some kindergarten office where everyone is watching their p’s and q’s.

I have misgivings regarding Tyrone’s long term future at the club but I hope that this is the kick up the arse he needs to be the best player on the pitch he can be. We all know we can’t find a better man off the pitch but unfortunately that doesn’t get you any points. 

Re Gerrard, the jury is clearly out but he absolutely has the right to pick his own captain and it’s not as if Tyrone has led this team imperiously over the last season. I suspect that McGinn won’t be a long term captain either but unfortunately it’s slim pickings re the rest of the outfield starting players. In retrospect he probably should have gone with Martinez but many managers don’t like a GK as captain so that’s understandable as well. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Tbh I'm indifferent to Ming's starting yesterday. We have 4 decent CB's now with arguably the form player in Chambers not getting a sniff of the starting 11. So because of this I find it hard to feel sorry for Ming's. Where I do draw the line I suppose is managers making unnecessary public comments.

It must have been seriously difficult for Tyrone to take the losing of the captaincy. Whichever way you cut it, demotion in any form unless opted for is a kick in the nuts. Readjusting to a new scenario and the questions you would ask yourself regarding where to go and what to do as a next step are going to occur. That's why I find it hard to accept Gerrard's approach to Ming's. Have more thought to the person. Whether you dislike, don't agree with or feel better about others, at least understand how that individual might feel and for some time after you've made a decision that effects them and their standing. Especially one who has an exemplary record and history with the club. 

The way I see it Tyrone has done nothing publicly or as an employee of our club at anytime since he arrived to deserve to be mugged off. Gerrard needs to wise up fast because if he starts alienating those held in high regard in a petty fashion, just because thing's aren't going his way he'll be up the road before long.     

• Like 1

We and Gerrard can talk of mentality yet when changes have been made to improve our mentality we still look fragile. Perhaps even worse.

I've always thought of Mings as a leader on and off the pitch.

Gerrard has wanted his own man yet it seems like a battle he didn't need to fight.

McGinn was poor again and showed no leadership qualities and his performance against Bournemouth was usual for him.

Looking at Bournemouth's threats, and our choice of CBs, Mings should have started. Easy decision. 

If he's injured (which sounds a bit of a smoke screen) then I guess the decision is made by that. However, I imagine there have been plenty of times when he'll have played through a jiggle for the cause.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â