Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

It’s honestly one of the most baffling things I’ve seen in my time supporting Villa 

Some of the utter shite  we’ve had at CB in recent times including circling the drain in the PL for years and struggling in the championship and Mings gets more stick than anyone in that time period. 

He makes some mistakes but literally every goal we concede is somehow linked back to him. Why is it? Why doesn’t Konsa get the same grief? He doesn’t hide like the others do. That’s all I can guess. And people don’t like that he’s a big black confident lad not afraid to speak his mind. 

I can’t understand it any other way

and it isn’t because I’m a Mings fan or whatever other childish slur people want to throw around

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

think it's just easier to accept that for some, hell be at fault for every single goal in some shape or form and not get wound up about it

I'm just curious about the reasoning behind it.

1 minute ago, Skruff said:

I'm just curious about the reasoning behind it.

I think part it stems from every goal has to be a mistake, its not good attacking play from the opposition or just poor play or their £100m striker being better than our £2m defender, its a mistake

Why it then seems to fall on mings shoulders every time is mind boggling 

1 minute ago, HeyAnty said:

I actually don’t think he is very brave in the air.  He doesn’t compete with opposition players  in the air like a man his height should.

He certainly didn't compete with James who is nearly a foot shorter than him. 

The first goal will be labelled his fault but, I think he was unlucky. Rodrigo was offside and he was the one who caused Mings to screw up so that could have been ruled out. Also, the shot wasn't close to goal and not in the corner, I thought Emi was a bit slow getting down to that. 

The second goal is mainly on him. To not win that aerial duel seems just odd. 

The third goal is clearly on him too after not making that clearance. 

One thing I noticed about that third goal; he's not marking anyone. He marks the space but, he was static. Players are usually bouncing and on their toes. He was stood almost still and only moved when the ball was delivered into the area.

Something has happened. Something has changed. Look how many times Targett cleared at the back post. Digne also did a great clearance tonight. There is something not right about those central two. They've been together for pretty much three seasons now and I don't think they will be for a fourth. I see Gerrard bringing in a new starting centre back for sure. 

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

£80m defenders? Did anyone see slabhead defending the other day.? 

Being better than Maguire doesn't mean you're much good.

Mings is obviously better than him, and among many others, was terrible tonight.

• Haha 1

I'm a Mings supporter, but conceding three goals like that... he was a part of it. Konsa was far worse, but Tyrone wasn't great today.

What I like is the runs forward he has started to make. I hope they continue.

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It’s honestly one of the most baffling things I’ve seen in my time supporting Villa 

Some of the utter shite  we’ve had at CB in recent times including circling the drain in the PL for years and struggling in the championship and Mings gets more stick than anyone in that time period. 

He makes some mistakes but literally every goal we concede is somehow linked back to him. Why is it? Why doesn’t Konsa get the same grief? He doesn’t hide like the others do. That’s all I can guess. And people don’t like that he’s a big black confident lad not afraid to speak his mind. 

and it isn’t because I’m a Mings fan or whatever other childish slur people want to throw around

It's not just Villa fans, seems like England fans up and down the country have it in for him. Like the Leeds fans chanting at him after he misplaced a single pass. You would think he were Titus Bramble the way football fans go on about him.

Reality is not one man was at fault for their goals. It was a combination of a few but it usually ends with the last man. We should have made sure that the ball didn’t get near our goal. 

But Leeds are horrible to play against.

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Well I think it's a bit extreme to assume the criticism is solely a product of racism. I'm sure there are some people who react from that place but I simply think for most people, he's an easy target. Not because of his race but because of his "swagger" on the pitch. He acts like he owns the place, plus he has the added responsibility of being Captain, so when things go sideways or he isn't perfect the criticism seems higher because his standards are higher.

1 minute ago, Villarocker said:

The first goal will be labelled his fault but, I think he was unlucky. Rodrigo was offside and he was the one who caused Mings to screw up so that could have been ruled out. Also, the shot wasn't close to goal and not in the corner, I thought Emi was a bit slow getting down to that. 

One thing I noticed about that third goal; he's not marking anyone. He marks the space but, he was static. Players are usually bouncing and on their toes. He was stood almost still and only moved when the ball was delivered into the area.

Something has happened. Something has changed. Look how many times Targett cleared at the back post. Digne also did a great clearance tonight. There is something not right about those central two. They've been together for pretty much three seasons now and I don't think they will be for a fourth. I see Gerrard bringing in a new starting centre back for sure. 

Buendia actually stops Mings from pushing James out of it,  James wouldn’t have got his head to it if Buendia didn’t jump into him from the other side.
Both our centre backs have issues atm,  Mings will be replaced in summer IMO. But Konsa has a lot to work on too. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think part it stems from every goal has to be a mistake, its not good attacking play from the opposition or just poor play or their £100m striker being better than our £2m defender, its a mistake

Why it then seems to fall on mings shoulders every time is mind boggling 

It's probably because he was the only one actually trying to stop them today. He clears the ball like 3 times in a row, the 3rd time it falls to the opposition and they score. It's his fault, and not his ball watching teammates who a.) didn't stop the cross and b.) let the attacker run off them with no recourse.

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

How has being  "a big black confident lad not afraid to speak his mind" got anything to do with judging his good or bad performances? 

2 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I think the second goal was unfortunate. Watching the replay, the ball was spinning a lot as it was falling straight down so it put him in an awkward position. I think part of the reason he did his half jump/ shove is because he knew he couldn't get to the ball so he tried knocked James off and then Buendia brought him back into the play. Funnily enough I think the ball would've landed just perfectly for James regardless of Buendia slamming into him. 

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I couldn’t care less if he was white, black, brown , purple, confident, introverted. My eyes see what they see and you aren’t going to tell me he’s the easy target because he gets called out. He had the ball, couldn’t sort his feet out, ended up to James - Goal. Passed it directly to Llorente - Goal. 

I don't want to continually knock Mings but I said weeks ago I think Gerrard will replace him in the summer as captain and potentially let him go. I'll stick to that prediction. We need a leader on the pitch. There, I've said it.

Â