Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

I hear this a lot, but I don't see it any more than I do every other player in a claret and blue shirt.

I remember quite a few errors and lapses from both Tuanzebe and Konsa vs Wolves - but only the yellow card sticks out for Mings. Outside that he was solid.

If I venture forward a bit, so many lapses and errors from Buendia, McGinn (who both had a good game) and Watkins.

I suppose all of those mentioned players are good enough from a technical perspective but too inconsistent for Europe....

... maybe we should move them all on too?

Defenders errors and lapses will be highlighted much more due to the position they play and the consequence or potential consequence of their errors. I agree that against Wolves Tuanzebe and Konsa made mistakes but I am not just referring to the Wolves game. I just see Mings making errors and having lapses far too often. Tuanzebe is a loan player, so I will view him differently and I don't expect him nor want him to sign a permanent contract in the summer. He impressed be when with us in the Championship but he isn't doing it for me this time around. Konsa is still young and learning and I think he has a great future ahead of him. He looks like there is a real quality football there and he could develop to be a stalwart for Villa and England. Mings is at the prime / on the down from prime of his career and is an experienced player. He should be well past making mistakes. The fact that he hasn't managed to rid them from his performances suggest to me that he never will.

Buendia, has hardly played for us and way too early for me to judge. I can't say I saw much of him at Norwich

McGinn, A solid player, like Mings but needs to improve a consistent level of performances. He is good enough to keep at Villa to try and break into Europa

Watkins, Definitely a player to have in the squad to get into Europa. Work rate and application is excellent. He will never be a really prolific scorer but a really valuable member of the squad

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

Yep, he is a good enough footballer from a technical perspective. The problem I see with Mings is the very recurring errors and lapses. At the level of competing for Europe every point is sacred and dropping unnecessary points can mean the difference between qualification or not. The PL is a very strong league and if you are prone to errors you will be punished by the opposition. As much as I like Mings and REALLY appreciate the service and wonderful times he has helped Villa to enjoy I think we are moving on to a different place than one that can live with the errors

Teams that qualified for Europe last season had Eric Dier, Harry Maguire, Nat Phillips, Lindelof, Aaron Cresswell starting weekly

Hardly elite 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Teams that qualified for Europe last season had Eric Dier, Harry Maguire, Nat Phillips, Lindelof, Aaron Cresswell starting weekly

Hardly elite 

Still some very good players in that list. Maguire is a top class CB. I am not saying we need to replace Mings with an elite player, I would love to do so but we need a CB that will not make errors so frequently. 

4 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Still some very good players in that list. Maguire is a top class CB. I am not saying we need to replace Mings with an elite player, I would love to do so but we need a CB that will not make errors so frequently. 

Maguire is not a top class centre back. Was disgraceful at the weekend and was nothing to do with fitness. He was also shit vs us

Guy is a chancer

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Maguire is not a top class centre back. Was disgraceful at the weekend and was nothing to do with fitness. He was also shit vs us

Guy is a chancer

Before this season I’ve always felt that Maguire was a very good CB that got some unfair criticism, but he’s been really poor this year.

On topic, Mings is just going through a poor spell for me and talk of selling him is laughable.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

Before this season I’ve always felt that Maguire was a very good CB that got some unfair criticism, but he’s been really poor this year.

On topic, Mings is just going through a poor spell for me and talk of selling him is laughable.

I think it was Daka who scored for Leicester but if Mings did what Maguire did people would want him sacked

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

Maguire is not the example you're looking for here :D 

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

I hear this a lot, but I don't see it any more than I do every other player in a claret and blue shirt.

I remember quite a few errors and lapses from both Tuanzebe and Konsa vs Wolves - but only the yellow card sticks out for Mings. Outside that he was solid.

If I venture forward a bit, so many lapses and errors from Buendia, McGinn (who both had a good game) and Watkins.

I suppose all of those mentioned players are good enough from a technical perspective but too inconsistent for Europe....

... maybe we should move them all on too?

People see what they want to see. On purpose or subconsciously.

• Like 1

There is something with Mings I can't put my finger on.

It's not that he lacks concentration, or that he isn't very good. He just behaves... unwisely.

The yellow card for time wasting was bad. Then, while at 2-2, he pushed the ball away when the wolves keeper had it set up for a goal kick. Instead of trying to speed up the game for us to attack, he wanted to waste even more time.

He does those stupid things, which is really weird. It's really not a concentration issue, this has been happening time after time over the last 3 years. 

He just doesn't behave in the right way. It's not a good trait to have in a club captain. 

He is a good player and we should keep him. But I think we can get a more solid defender, and I think this 'sillyness' has to be dealt with by Smith. The fact that it hasn't been for a long time now is concerning. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AVTuco said:

The yellow card for time wasting was nothing. Nothing.

It's nothing, because it's so stupid and unnecessary. It happened around 60 mins in, 1-0 up, in our own half. If you want to waste time, just pass it to the keeper.

It's nothing, but it's unnecessary and gives him barrier to make a hard tackle in the remainder of the game.

It's just not very smart, and Mings seems to make those calls on regular basis. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

The yellow card for time wasting was nothing. Nothing.

Ignoring these 'nothing' acts of stupidity cost us points. They won't impact us in every game we play but with consistent acts of stupidity we will concede goals and drop points. These lost points can cost us league position and potential qualification for Europe. They must be eliminated

4 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

It's nothing, because it's so stupid and unnecessary. It happened around 60 mins in, 1-0 up, in our own half. If you want to waste time, just pass it to the keeper.

It's nothing, but it's unnecessary and gives him barrier to make a hard tackle in the remainder of the game.

It's just not very smart, and Mings seems to make those calls on regular basis. 

It was dumb, I agree, but it didn't have any relevance to the end result. 

• Like 1

Just now, AVTuco said:

We don't know that. We were winning before the stupid yellow and we lost the game. It is not good having a CB playing on a yellow as it tends to change their play and remove some of the aggression which helps to allow the other team back into the game.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

It might also have relevance in December, when Mings collects 5 yellow cards and misses a game against a top opponent.

• Like 1

Mings does make errors leading to goals, there's no denying that, but his leadership skills and ability mean that we play and defend better when he is on the pitch. 

I think he's one of a few casualties of the new formation Smith is trying to implement. It's driving me mad. Just pick Watkins or Ings, don't shoehorn both players and then sit a £33mil class player in a central position or on the bench. Playing a defensive full back as an attacking wing back. Play 3 centre backs who play better in a back 4 in a 3. 

It's no surprise that Cash is getting plaudits and everyone else takes it in turns to get pelters. They're all out of position. 

Been crying out for Smith to mix it up and not always go 4-3-3, he finally does it as soon as we have the strongest starting XI in ages that fits that formation. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, skarroki said:

Mings does make errors leading to goals, there's no denying that, but his leadership skills and ability mean that we play and defend better when he is on the pitch. 

I think he's one of a few casualties of the new formation Smith is trying to implement. It's driving me mad. Just pick Watkins or Ings, don't shoehorn both players and then sit a £33mil class player in a central position or on the bench. Playing a defensive full back as an attacking wing back. Play 3 centre backs who play better in a back 4 in a 3. 

It's no surprise that Cash is getting plaudits and everyone else takes it in turns to get pelters. They're all out of position. 

Been crying out for Smith to mix it up and not always go 4-3-3, he finally does it as soon as we have the strongest starting XI in ages that fits that formation. 

As others have pointed out, it’s most likely a product of the injuries to Traore and Bailey. Once they’re back and hopefully stay fit then I would think we will see a switch to different formation. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â