Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, andym said:

To be fair, when that assumption is based on that situation getting called offside every other time it has ever happened, i can see why he made it...

You can’t be offside from an opponent playing the ball to you. It’s really not an assumption he should have been making (I don’t think he did either, I think he just messed up the cutback).

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

You can’t be offside from an opponent playing the ball to you. It’s really not an assumption he should have been making (I don’t think he did either, I think he just messed up the cutback).

That's how I saw it, only Mings will know that whether in the heat of the moment he had in his mind that he was safe due to the player being offside anyway. Perhaps I should be giving him the benefit of the doubt but he does have an undeniable nonchalance to his game which makes me think he'd try it anyway.

He was excellent on the whole though it has to be said, it is very easy to end up debating one point and ending up polarised on the whole subject but I really like Mings and he's one of the last players i'd be looking to replace but he loves to flirt with danger a little more than I'm personally comfortable with for a defender.

• Like 1

I don’t really get the error here at all. He’s chesting a ball down because if you ignore the guy who’s miles offside he’s in acres of space. Why would he just head it or hoof it back to the opposition? 

Edited by tom_avfc
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Insane officiating aside, why chest down the ball there when he could've just headed it? Its really annoying. 

Why would he if there's nobody onside anywhere near him? A header out likely goes straight back to City.

17 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Does the defender here make a mistake not just hoofing it?

The confirmation bias is wild. Replace this for anyone outside of Mings and probably Traore in our starting XI tonight and it's a different story.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, maqroll said:

He's not as clever as he thinks he is and his dallying led to their goal, we've seen this show before.

Again Maq, it isn't clever. It's the high % play in this situation. Nobody onside is anywhere near him; he doesn't dally, he just brings in down.

He just headers or hoofs it away, likelihood is, it goes back to City and we remain under pressure.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

He's not as clever as he thinks he is and his dallying led to their goal, we've seen this show before.

Nope, poor refereeing led to their goal.

Didn’t really have time to dally soon as he chested the player was on him, how that’s not given as an offside despite all their excuses is baffling.

23 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Does the defender here make a mistake not just hoofing it?

No - the defender makes a mistake by touching it at all. He had to let it run so that the officials could call the offside player, well, offside.

At least, that's what was needed for Mings.

Mings mistake or not this is basic officiating. Sunday league would be able to call that decision correctly. It’s a farce. Really is. 

If city hadn’t missed a lot of chances I’d be a lot more angry right now. But on balance they probably deserves the win and whilst we defended brilliantly you could tell the players weren't at their sharpest which is understandable.

But still it’s such a shit way to concede a goal.

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

They've just read the law out. Key word is recieving. He didn't receive it he took it.  They've just stumped themselves.

There's so much heavy lifting going on to justify this outrageous decision.

• Like 1

It's poor officiating and it starts and ends with the linesman for me. He is making an assumption that Mings and Villa are at and advantage and in control of the ball. You've no grey areas here if you blow up for every obvious offside. Sure it slows the thing down but your not leaving yourself, as officials, open to what's coming at them tonight. Joke goal. The minute Rodri runs back he's active. 

Â