Jacob Ramsey

sir_gary_cahill

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

To be fair he's been crap for 2 years. His highest level was actually quite a short portion of his villa career. He's been average for far more of it than he's been good.

Obviously there was a big injury in there, which explains it. But the further away that good period got, the less confident people became that he'd ever get back there.

Even now, Tuesday was the first time he's looked anywhere near that level for 2 seasons. And it was against a very poor team.

I'm hugely encouraged to see that performance. And I really hope he can maintain some form. Because at his best he's a hell of a player.

But it's no surprise that people were beginning to lose faith when it's been so long since he's shown any good form

2 years? He's only been injured for 1 season. Prior to that he was one of our best players and was crucial to us getting Conference League. His colossal performance against Brighton on the final game of the season was 15 months ago.

• Like 1

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair he's been crap for 2 years. His highest level was actually quite a short portion of his villa career. He's been average for far more of it than he's been good.

Obviously there was a big injury in there, which explains it. But the further away that good period got, the less confident people became that he'd ever get back there.

Even now, Tuesday was the first time he's looked anywhere near that level for 2 seasons. And it was against a very poor team.

I'm hugely encouraged to see that performance. And I really hope he can maintain some form. Because at his best he's a hell of a player.

But it's no surprise that people were beginning to lose faith when it's been so long since he's shown any good form

Did you get an extra season between him being brilliant in 2022-23 and injured in 2023-24 that wasn’t available to the rest of us?

• Haha 2

I don't agree with him being crap for 2 years. In 22/23 only Ollie bettered his Premier League G&A contributions with 6 goals (joint second), 7 assists (top provider) in 31 games, that's decent for a then 21 year old. last season was write off, especially considering he broke his metatarsal and the subsequent operation was botched, causing more complications. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

:crylaugh:

You're so bitter about being called out for not rating Ramsey early on.

Let it go man. It's fine.

Don't need to make things up.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

2 years? He's only been injured for 1 season. Prior to that he was one of our best players and was crucial to us getting Conference League. His colossal performance against Brighton on the final game of the season was 15 months ago.

Yeah an exagerration to be fair, my bad. 15 months then

The point was that as that purple patch got further and further away, people begin to lose faith. It's only natural.

Tuesday was the first time he's been at that level since. Which again is perfectly understandable given the injury problems he had. But the longer it goes without him regaining that form the more people are going to forget it

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

:crylaugh:

You're so bitter about being called out for not rating Ramsey early on.

Let it go man. It's fine.

Don't need to make things up.

Huh? What am I bitter about?

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Not sure about others, but I never lost faith in him. He was the only player to improve under Stevie G, at a time when players that are now monsters under Emery (McGinn, Watkins, Konsa, etc...Luiz too...) looked pretty average. He was always going to kick on massively given some injury free time under Emery. 

• Like 1

Just now, VillaTO said:

Not sure about others, but I never lost faith in him. He was the only player to improve under Stevie G, at a time when players that are now monsters under Emery (McGinn, Watkins, Konsa, etc...Luiz too...) looked pretty average. He was always going to kick on massively given some injury free time under Emery. 

Weirdly his best period in a villa shirt was under Gerrard imo.

(and that is absolutely not in any way giving any credit to Gerrard :D )

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Huh? What am I bitter about?

Ramsey for some reason.

Hammering him constantly because you once didn't rate him and others did.

For example:

35 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah an exagerration to be fair, my bad. 15 months then

'Ramsey has been crap for 15 months.'

So. He got injured July 2023. He's started playing again August 2024.

You think he's been crap this season in the one month he's played and at the end of 22/23 season for one month? Come on.

Is that a sensible way to talk about any player? Out for 13 months, CRAP after one month of being back.

Edited by Tomaszk

37 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Ramsey for some reason.

Hammering him constantly because you once didn't rate him and others did.

For example:

'Ramsey has been crap for 15 months.'

So. He got injured July 2023. He's started playing again August 2024.

You think he's been crap this season in the one month he's played and at the end of 22/23 season for once month? Come on. Is that a sensible way to talk about any player? Out for 13 months, CRAP after one month of being back.

I'm not bitter about Jacob Ramsey. Why would I be?
And I don't hammer him constantly. I was one of the first people in this thread on Tuesday complimenting him because he was excellent.

And what are you talking about out for 13 months?
He made 21 appearances last season. 
Now who is making things up? :D

All I was doing today was making a point about time. That the longer his good form goes into the past, the more people will lose faith in him. I didn't say whether it was right or wrong, just explaining why some might have wanted him sold in the summer (not me by the way!)

Edited by Stevo985

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm not bitter about Jacob Ramsey. Why would I be?
And I don't hammer him constantly. I was one of the first people in this thread on Tuesday complimenting him because he was excellent.

And what are you talking about out for 13 months?
He made 21 appearances last season. 
Now who is making things up? :D

All I was doing today was making a point about time. That the longer his good form goes into the past, the more people will lose faith in him. I didn't say whether it was right or wrong, just explaining why some might have wanted him sold in the summer (not me by the way!)

Woah, fair enough. Stunned he played 21 games!

I thought he was out all year apart from one attempted comeback.

I think "crap for 15 months" is harsh regardless.

I do think he was probably playing through pain before the reveal he needed surgery again. He only made 8 apps of any meaningful mins.

Currently, I think it's sadly likely he's the FFP sale at the end of the season if his form doesn't take a big jump.

I think last season he hadn't properly recovered from his injury so even though he was playing I don't think he was fully fit or up to speed.  Season before that he was excellent, including the Gerrard part.  This season he still doesn't look fully up to speed and seems more reluctant to run at defenders like he used to, but he's still made some excellent contributions and will be a real asset when fully up to speed.  

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Where is this narrative coming from?  2 years ago he was ever present on the left side of our team that finished 7th in the PL. 13 goal contributions from the midfield for an under 21player is elite production. 

Last year he wasn't crap, he was injured. The last time you could call Ramsey crap, was under Steven but that was due to him being managed by a League 1 manager. Everyone was crap under his tenure. 

Before his injuries last season, he was rightly rated as one of the best young players in the Premier League, I've no doubt if it wasn't for said injurys he would be a full England international by now, and I wouldn't be surprised if that comes before long, maybe this season even.

There's a very good reason why the likes of Spurs, Newcastle, Liverpool, and Bayern Munich have shown an interest in him, and it's not because he's only had twelve or so good games for us, on the whole he's been very good since coming into the team, of course he's had bad games, and outside of his bad games last season, but has arguably been one of our most important players in that time, and he's going to be important this season, if he had have left us in the summer, or if he leaves in one of the coming windows, it would be to a top team, maybe one expected to do better than us

If injuries don't get in the way, he will have a top career at a very high level, by which I mean playing in one of the top leagues, and international experience to speak of, hopefully it's with us, but alas with dreaded specre of PSR you can't be sure on these things

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rightdm00 said:

Where is this narrative coming from?  2 years ago he was ever present on the left side of our team that finished 7th in the PL. 13 goal contributions from the midfield for an under 21player is elite production. 

Last year he wasn't crap, he was injured. The last time you could call Ramsey crap, was under Steven but that was due to him being managed by a League 1 manager. Everyone was crap under his tenure. 

I honestly think his best period in a Villa shirt came under Gerrard. 

He basically single-handedly dragged the team through games. He was the only thing about us that wasn’t shit. 

Watching his goal from Tuesday again, he has 3 involvements,  and they are all great, all showing indifferent sides of his game. First, when Tielemans is fouled, he keeps it alive and picks out Digne with a really nice pass. Then it's  his closing the defender that triggers the awful back pass that Ollie gets to. And then there's the quick thinking and feet to score. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â