Jacob Ramsey

sir_gary_cahill

in terms of carrying what he has is the ability to run at full speed with the ball never leaving his body, its perfect close control, its not stuck under his feet, its not far enough from him for the defender to commit

his first touch for both his goals are absolutely sublime

its what made bale what he was too and obviously grealish

• Like 2

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

they changed the word dribble to carry a few years back, its defined as something travelling with the ball continuously for a set distance something like 5m, they then add them all up, if you run with it for 4m it doesnt count, i dont know what the actual set distance is

unsurprisingly its an americanism, stolen from running with the ball in the NFL and also a term in basketball and of course they stuck a stat on it

However it's calculated, its good to have a player good at it.  Something we've lacked without JG.

• Like 1

Just now, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

SG's influence on this man is incredible. Clearly there was a player there -- and he was showing some flashes of quality under DS -- but my word: the last few months have been incredible for him. The fact that he can even be on the same wavelength as Coutinho (and revel in it) is just remarkable. 

A great partnership forming hopefully.

• Like 1

Could easily get to 10 goals this season in league. Love the way he finished both goals.

Who was last CM we had who got into double figures in prem? Guessing Milner but half of them were penalties.

Incredible how good he's looking compared to 12 months ago where he was coming on and looking neat and tidy. Both our current and previous manager should get credit for his development as textbook example of how to bring in a young player slowly but at correct speed into premier league.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

SG's influence on this man is incredible. Clearly there was a player there -- and he was showing some flashes of quality under DS -- but my word: the last few months have been incredible for him. The fact that he can even be on the same wavelength as Coutinho (and revel in it) is just remarkable. 

The summer he spent in the gym/at Bodymoor was the foundation for this IMO. Both Smith and Gerrard deserve credit but the real development comes from within a lot of the time and he has a superb attitude.

• Like 2

IIRC he only made his first PL start against Wolves in December 2020? In a little over a year he's gone from occasional starter to regular starter to one of our most important players. Every 6 months or so he seems to take his game up another notch.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

IIRC he only made his first PL start against Wolves in December 2020? In a little over a year he's gone from occasional starter to regular starter to one of our most important players. Every 6 months or so he seems to take his game up another notch.

He's a guaranteed starter for me now, and when Nakamaba returns or when we sign a DM, McGinn/Luiz/Sanson are fighting for the last CM spot

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mantis said:

His rise is monumental. Honestly, at the level he's at now, he's a guaranteed starter and one of our most important players. Now just imagine how good he'll be in 12 months time...

I expect interest in the Summer. We need to offer him a new, long term deal and build around him. Or sell him for £100m and put that pure profit against FFP and build again...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

His rise is monumental. Honestly, at the level he's at now, he's a guaranteed starter and one of our most important players. Now just imagine how good he'll be in 12 months time...

I expect interest in the Summer. We need to offer him a new, long term deal and build around him. Or sell him for £100m and put that pure profit against FFP and build again...

He has a deal until 2025, but will probably be offered a pay rise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

they changed the word dribble to carry a few years back, its defined as something travelling with the ball continuously for a set distance something like 5m, they then add them all up, if you run with it for 4m it doesnt count, i dont know what the actual set distance is

unsurprisingly its an americanism, stolen from running with the ball in the NFL and also a term in basketball and of course they stuck a stat on it

Not the same. Carry is when you bring the ball forward with it at your feet. Dribble means you've beaten a man. 

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

He's a guaranteed starter for me now, and when Nakamaba returns or when we sign a DM, McGinn/Luiz/Sanson are fighting for the last CM spot

Will be McGinn pretty much guaranteed the other spot. Its not an accident that McGinn takes the right side and Ramsey the left. System works better with players' stronger foot on the inside. So McGinn has some advantage being the only senior left footed option for the '8' roles. Was noticeable the difference it made with Sanson there against United, often naturally drifting wide onto stronger foot when ideally we needed him coming inside.

37 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

Will be McGinn pretty much guaranteed the other spot. Its not an accident that McGinn takes the right side and Ramsey the left. System works better with players' stronger foot on the inside. So McGinn has some advantage being the only senior left footed option for the '8' roles. Was noticeable the difference it made with Sanson there against United, often naturally drifting wide onto stronger foot when ideally we needed him coming inside.

Ramsey is genuinely two footed, I think. He has 5 PL goals now, 3 with his left and 2 with his right, and those are proper finishes off his left, not just spray and pray.

I'm not sure it matters a great deal in CM which foot you prefer, it's pretty far down the list of concerns. A top CM should be able to play on either side. And most top CMs are comfortable off both feet (with a few exceptions like Scholes, who was very right footed).

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

Ramsey is genuinely two footed, I think. He has 5 PL goals now, 3 with his left and 2 with his right, and those are proper finishes off his left, not just spray and pray.

I'm not sure it matters a great deal in CM which foot you prefer, it's pretty far down the list of concerns. A top CM should be able to play on either side. And most top CMs are comfortable off both feet (with a few exceptions like Scholes, who was very right footed).

It does matter if you always favour the one foot and wont shoot with the other one like many modern players. Its another string to his bow. 

....catching up with Bellingham for me...In terms of ability.

The kid has everything, and certainly will have by the time he has finished developing.

I think he has the right character too.

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

It does matter if you always favour the one foot and wont shoot with the other one like many modern players. Its another string to his bow. 

In centre mid? I get the point in the front 3, but I don't think what you're saying is true about centre mid. We have a left-footed RCM in McGinn, but it's not a rule that you normally play a left footer there.

Look at Man City's line up last night, KDB (right footed) plays RCM and Bernardo (left footed) plays LCM. I don't think this thing of requiring your 8s to be on a particular side matters at all.

The reason Sanson looks worse than McGinn at RCM is that McGinn is a better player.

And returning to topic, Ramsey could play all over the midfield tbh. He's doing well at the moment at LCM, but I'm sure he could play either side of the front 3, as a central 10, or alongside a DM in a 4-2-3-1. He's got a really good all round game.

• Like 1

Â