In Sickness and in Health

mjmooney

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I think she was, yeah. The statins prescription just seemed to a precautionary thing (some GPs think everybody over a certain age should take them as a matter of routine). 

She drinks (wine) only moderately, at weekends. She does love her coffee, though. 

I'll check on the brand and dosage later. 

EDIT: Alzheimers UK says 

Which is why I lean towards coming off the drug for a period. If she doesn't then improve, we can at least rule it out, and pursue other lines of enquiry. 

EDIT 2: Another possible factor is interaction with the other drug (Methotrexate) that she takes for rheumatoid arthritis. You'd think a medical professional would at least want to investigate this, but the GP didn't even look at it. 

As bonkers as it might seem, have you tried having a chat with chatgpt? I've use it for loads of things not just relating to health. I asked it 'does Methotrexate interact with statins?' it replied with the following:

Methotrexate and statins generally do not have significant drug-drug interactions, but there are some considerations to keep in mind:

1. **Liver Toxicity:** Both methotrexate and statins can cause liver toxicity as a side effect. When used together, this risk may be slightly increased, so liver function should be monitored regularly.

2. **Drug Metabolism:** Methotrexate is primarily excreted by the kidneys, while most statins (except pravastatin and rosuvastatin) are metabolized by the liver via the CYP450 enzyme system. Since these drugs have different primary pathways for elimination, direct interactions are not common. However, some case reports suggest that combining methotrexate with certain statins (like atorvastatin or simvastatin) may increase the risk of muscle-related side effects, although this is rare.

3. **Monitoring:** Due to the potential for liver issues and other side effects, regular monitoring of liver enzymes and kidney function is advisable when methotrexate is used in combination with statins.

In summary, while there's no well-established, clinically significant interaction between methotrexate and statins, close monitoring is recommended due to the overlapping side effects, particularly related to liver function and potential muscle toxicity.

This does all depend on how much you trust a LLM AI over a GP though. From past experience I think the AI is winning at least 6-0!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Lipitor atorvastatin 20mg. 

Funnily that’s the brand I switched from, I’m now on atorvastatin xiromed, though I’m not sure what sort of difference there is. 20mg is frankly really low. How is her cholesterol? Statins can be really heavy on cholesterol and reduce it below the ‘good’ levels. Cholesterol is important for brain function.

43 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Funnily that’s the brand I switched from, I’m now on atorvastatin xiromed, though I’m not sure what sort of difference there is. 20mg is frankly really low. How is her cholesterol? Statins can be really heavy on cholesterol and reduce it below the ‘good’ levels. Cholesterol is important for brain function.

As with BP, only slightly higher than normal. Of course there is the good/bad cholesterol thing, I'd have to check her records. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Xann said:

Sorry to hear this Mike.

This is what should be happening.

Read on...

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/dementia/symptoms-and-diagnosis/tests/

Yeah, thanks. That does suggest that there should be more testing than the simple 3 question thing. The GP seemed to think that because she could ace that, there need be no referral to the memory clinic. She also didn't want to consider the dizziness/nausea as in any way connected to the memory issue. I couldn't get across to her how frequent and how remarkable these memory 'blanks' are. And that's before you get on to the quite disturbing 'fugue state' she briefly exhibited a fortnight ago. Her not recognising yesterday's very familiar walk route just reinforced my alarm. We're going to wait on the blood tests and then get another appointment, regardless. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Some concerns with my missus. 

For about a year now, she's been getting occasional bouts of nausea and dizziness. This has been happening since she's been on (GP prescribed) statins - and it's a known side effect. 

But during the same period, her memory has been getting steadily worse. Nothing like serious dementia so far, but she tends to have no memory of, say, a film we watched a week or so ago, or the place we were on holiday earlier this year. She also has a condition called MGUS, which can increase the risk of blood cancer - and can have similar side effects to the above. 

A couple of weeks ago she had one of her dizzy spells, but this time she became very confused, and for a couple of minutes clearly had no idea where we were, or how we'd got there. Quite concerning. 

So we thought we'd get her a GP checkup (with me in tow). Which was completely unhelpful - the doc pooh-poohed the statins theory, grudgingly ordered a blood test for the MGUS thing, and gave her the 'standard' dementia memory test - basically, do you know what day it is, can you remember an address for two minutes, etc. If you fail that you're already far gone, and of course it gave her no problem. Sent away with what amounted to "There's nothing wrong with you". 

We came away rather unsatisfied, but went for a walk in one of our regular haunts. It's a riverside walk that we've done regularly for years,  literally scores of times. It was all new to her, she didn't recognise it all. 

Not sure where we go from here. 

I have no medical input to offer but man I am really sorry to hear this. While nothing like this has run in either my wife’s family or mine it scares the hell out of me. Fingers crossed that it is something they both solve and fix ❤️

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Unfortunately, I'm all too familiar with dementia. My Dad had Alzheimers, it made my Mom's life hell caring for him until he eventually died in a care home. My son-in-law's parents had a similar story, his mother eventually succumbed with covid. And we recently had a neighbour woman knocking on our door in a state of distress, until we managed to find her clearly frayed husband to take her home. Believe me, it scares me, too. But if that's what the future holds, I at least want to be as prepared as possible to deal with it. 

Powerful sharing. Thank you.

11 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Some concerns with my missus. 

For about a year now, she's been getting occasional bouts of nausea and dizziness. This has been happening since she's been on (GP prescribed) statins - and it's a known side effect. 

But during the same period, her memory has been getting steadily worse. Nothing like serious dementia so far, but she tends to have no memory of, say, a film we watched a week or so ago, or the place we were on holiday earlier this year. She also has a condition called MGUS, which can increase the risk of blood cancer - and can have similar side effects to the above. 

A couple of weeks ago she had one of her dizzy spells, but this time she became very confused, and for a couple of minutes clearly had no idea where we were, or how we'd got there. Quite concerning. 

So we thought we'd get her a GP checkup (with me in tow). Which was completely unhelpful - the doc pooh-poohed the statins theory, grudgingly ordered a blood test for the MGUS thing, and gave her the 'standard' dementia memory test - basically, do you know what day it is, can you remember an address for two minutes, etc. If you fail that you're already far gone, and of course it gave her no problem. Sent away with what amounted to "There's nothing wrong with you". 

We came away rather unsatisfied, but went for a walk in one of our regular haunts. It's a riverside walk that we've done regularly for years,  literally scores of times. It was all new to her, she didn't recognise it all. 

Not sure where we go from here. 

MJ - get a second and third opinion. Ultimately, a GP is just doing what they're trained to do, and I've had personal experience of a GP misdiagnosing a something serious for a sore throat - please get it checked by someone else.

Also, and this doesn't get said often enough, a water infection, particularly after a certain age, can really really rattle people, mentally, physically, emotionally.

Take care mate, do what you think you need to do and then do it again at a higher level. The NHS are fantastic but the person you really need to speak to, isn't the person who's helping you. Keep pushing mate, fight for the clarification you need.

Sending nothing but love Sir 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, mjmooney said:

As with BP, only slightly higher than normal. Of course there is the good/bad cholesterol thing, I'd have to check her records. 

It's worth noting that even 'bad' cholesterol is 'good' below the recommended level. Go below this and the effects could be similar to what she's experiencing. All it does it transport cholesterol to our tissues, but too much will create plaque in the arteries. Both too much and too little can create the symptoms she's experiencing as plaque will decrease blood flow to the white matter in the brain.

Sorry to be asking this, but is she taking her recommended dose? Might be worth getting a tray with each day as a compartment if she's struggling with memory. I had to do the same or else I forget mine.

Last thing, is there any mold in your house or where she works/spends time? Brain fog is a well known effect of mold exposure. Worth checking the car, the windows, in corners behind furniture, behind the washing machine, under cabinets etc.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, T-Dog said:

Also, and this doesn't get said often enough, a water infection, particularly after a certain age, can really really rattle people, mentally, physically, emotionally.

This, this, and this again, my mum was taken into hospital with all the symptoms after falling at home.  Water infection diagnosed.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Sid4ever said:

This, this, and this again, my mum was taken into hospital with all the symptoms after falling at home.  Water infection diagnosed.

Honestly, a simple water infection (simple not the right word but you know what I mean) can send people absolutely potty, I never realised the impact but man it's bad.

• Like 1

Day two of a Covid infection. Not huge fun. Managed to get started on Paxlovid within 12 hours of my first positive test. So far, no terrible side effects. My Covid so far seems familiar to me, no breathing issues, just aches and malaise and a low fever. Hoping I'll be able to be back at work on Monday. 

4 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Day two of a Covid infection. Not huge fun. Managed to get started on Paxlovid within 12 hours of my first positive test. So far, no terrible side effects. My Covid so far seems familiar to me, no breathing issues, just aches and malaise and a low fever. Hoping I'll be able to be back at work on Monday. 

Paxlovid? In the UK we get some lemsip and get on with it ;)

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, Sid4ever said:

Had to Google water infection, never heard that before. Here it’s called a urinary tract infection (UTI)

Just now, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Had to Google water infection, never heard that before. Here it’s called a urinary tract infection (UTI)

It is here too. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, magnkarl said:

Paxlovid? In the UK we get some lemsip and get on with it ;)

Well, we're wusses in the USA (when we're not psychotic cult members). I figured I could test it for you all and let you know what I think. It's weird. Worst tasting shit since ... actual shit? Can't really tell if it's doing much.

On 20/08/2024 at 17:12, mjmooney said:

Lipitor atorvastatin 20mg. 

I would seriously think about coming off the statins and see what happens. High cholesterol is dangerous in the long term so 2-3 weeks without it shouldn't do any long term damage. Obviously discuss with the doctor, over the phone.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â