Racism in Football

Zatman

1 hour ago, colhint said:

So now we hear the Spanish team were singing Gibraltar is Spanish in Madrid after beating England. 

Obviously completely off topic, but the number of idiots in Spain is huge. The Gibraltar thing is so brain-dead. They literally have two nigh-on identical regions in the north of Morocco just across the water. The topic could easily be broadened out into the Canary Islands too. If you bring any of this up with this type of Spaniard a reaction happens in their faces as if their brain just malfunctioned. 

There are likely racists in the Spanish team too, and plenty more in Spain as a whole. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

There's a post come out from Jackson trying to defend Enzo. Don't think it's gone down to well. 

Michael?

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, picicata said:

It happened, I've seen it on TikTok

It was a bit blurry but definitely him.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, QldVilla said:

If you look at the history of Argentina in the 1930’s and after WW2, a lot of Germans migrated to Argentina especially members of the Nazi party. At one stage it was approx 5% of the population.

It’s not a surprise that after 3-4 generations those opinions appear in small parts of the population. 

If you look at the post war colonial history of Africa , Zimbabwe, South Africa , Botswana and so on and how it’s been swept under the rug you’d soon realise that what was done there as Nazis as it comes. Go further back It was actually a British man (Cecil Rhodes)that inspired Hitler’s “idea”  racism is a problem world wide let’s not pretend that slurs and racism are not a problem world wide and that certain parts of the world are perfect.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, a-k said:

I don't think that's what the song said, did it?

That is what the racist song in question is about though. What else would you say "their Mum is Nigerian, their dad cameroonian, but in their document, nationality: French." means. 

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

If you look at the post war colonial history of Africa , Zimbabwe, South Africa , Botswana and so on and how it’s been swept under the rug you’d soon realise that what was done there as Nazis as it comes. Go further back It was actually a British man (Cecil Rhodes)that inspired Hitler’s “idea”  racism is a problem world wide let’s not pretend that slurs and racism are not a problem world wide and that certain parts of the world are perfect.

No one was saying the world was perfect. The comment was in relation to Argentina and their sordid history which is well documented with the Nazis post WW2.

2 hours ago, sne said:

This ⬆️

Well if you don’t know the history, you would call it a stretch.

I don’t believe the players were affected by anything to do with the Nazis, but Im  also not surprised when I see a brazen racist sing along considering the country’s sordid past and indifference to other races.

4 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

I don’t believe the players were affected by anything to do with the Nazis, but Im  also not surprised when I see a brazen racist sing along considering the country’s sordid past and indifference to other races.

Everyone knows about Argentina and Nazis, everyone. It's taught in school and has been hammered home in movies, books, tv-shows and probably video games too. There is even little villages that are pretty much miniature German towns when you travel the countryside. You get German style beer and food and a lot of Argentinian players have had German sounding names.

It's just connecting it to this situation that's a stretch. It's as daft as thinking Joe Gauci will steal our players wallets in the locker room just because Australia used to be a penal colony.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, sne said:

Everyone knows about Argentina and Nazis, everyone. It's taught in school and has been hammered home in movies, books, tv-shows and probably video games too. There is even little villages that are pretty much miniature German towns when you travel the countryside. You get German style beer and food and a lot of Argentinian players have had German sounding names.

It's just connecting it to this situation that's a stretch. It's as daft as thinking Joe Gauci will steal our players wallets in the locker room just because Australia used to be a penal colony.

nah that was Noel Blake, small heath vermin :crylaugh:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, QldVilla said:

You’ll be shocked when ya see what we were upto in kenya in the 1950’s. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rolta said:

Obviously completely off topic, but the number of idiots in Spain is huge. The Gibraltar thing is so brain-dead. They literally have two nigh-on identical regions in the north of Morocco just across the water. The topic could easily be broadened out into the Canary Islands too. If you bring any of this up with this type of Spaniard a reaction happens in their faces as if their brain just malfunctioned. 

There are likely racists in the Spanish team too, and plenty more in Spain as a whole. 

From COVITE we condemn the graffiti with the names of Mikel Oyarzabal and Mikel Merino in Elorrio. We cannot tolerate these acts of hate and disrespect. We must continue fighting for a free, plural and diverse society.

@Jas10 Sorry for not quoting but work proxy is blocking some of the pages. Didn't know this particular song, seems it's relatively new. Lyrics:

No importa donde juegue Argentina, voy a estar a tu lado

dejando cualquier cosa de lado por la Selección

no importa lo que diga la FIFA, lo que digan los diarios

los pibes de Malvinas en el cielo quieren verlo campeón.

Ganar otra copa con Leo es lo que imagino

para traer la gloria a Argentina desde Estados Unidos

y demostrarles a todos lo que es ser argentino

y que los yanquis no puedan creer, cómo Argentina 30 años después

tenga la revancha que le deben al 10

las otras hinchadas del mundo no lo van a entender.

Without trying to reproduce the phonetic rhymes, translates to:

No matter where Argentina plays, I'll be by its side

leaving anything aside for the National Team

no matter what FIFA says, what newspapers say

boys from Malvinas in Heaven want to see it champion.

Winning another Cup with Leo [Messi] is what I imagine

to bring glory to Argentina from the United States

and show everyone what it means to be argentinian

and that yankees [referring to ALL people from US] can't believe, how Argentina 30 years later

has the revenge they owed to n° 10 [Maradona]

the other fan crowds in the world will not understand

• Thanks 2

Didn't realise Emi was potentially involved with the Enzo video and have been catching up on the last x number of pages. There still doesn't seem to be conclusive evidence either way? Just hope he wasn't as some of the tweets suggest but it's great to see the forum is both collectively disappointed by this and would expect some kind of statement rather than sweeping it under the rug

My 2p worth is that the stupidity/racism that created this song (not a historical song where time can mean its more ignorance) and chose to sing it in 2024, is unfortunately still rife in countries all over the world. In some places it's just more overt then in others. A recent(ish) Villa example....

• Was taking the missus to the Stevenage FA Cup game at VP last year
  • On the train into Aston and was near 3 chaps (20s-30s)
  • Get off and beginning walking up Grosvenor Road
  • The 3 chaps are now in front of us and are chatting away about the game when one sees an Asian guy with his 2 kids (both between 6 and 12)
  • He then says "See you let one **** in and they breed and bring the rest in" - the other 2 find this funny and laugh away

There was no motivation, no historical context or anything. He simply chose to make a racist and unnecessary comment.

The more these individuals are highlighted, the more you hope (as unlikely as it is) that others will see the outcry and reassess their views.

*Enzo has now put out an apology statement

Edited by _AA_786
  • Like 1

Very disappointing to say the least. But two things can be true at the same time. Is everyone on that bus racist? I don't believe anyone other than each individual player can answer that.

What we do know is every one of them is a total idiot and as always in cases like this, they're not sorry, they're just sorry they got caught.

Although "caught" is the wrong word. They werent covertly filmed, this is one of them recording it and even posting it on their social media which tells you they either think its funny banter or that they don't realise how racist what they're singing us. Or both. Or they might just not give a shit. They all seem very comfortable mugging to the camera though which says a lot.

Any apologies or other PR crap isn't worth the steam off my piss. All they will learn from this is doing stuff like that negatively affects their bottom line. Any expectation of soul searching about their views is very optimistic.

5 hours ago, spiezels said:

You’ll be shocked when ya see what we were upto in kenya in the 1950’s. 

I’m not English, but not a surprise for someone to go for the cheap joke, The English had concentration camps long before the Germans, that’s where they got the idea from. Let’s tell a joke about that…

6 hours ago, sne said:

Those players sing along didn’t just pop into their heads on a whim. They a rooted in a history passed down by generations of an Argentina that has always had an underlying issue with native Brazilians and other nationalities. It is why in the past their own ideologies on some level married with allowing war criminals into the country as they aligned with each other.

It’s easy to dismiss something, I don’t believe most of the players if any actually knew what they were singing, but reflective of what has been handed down by generations and just accepted.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â