Dean Smith

Demitri_C

10 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

It may be possible, but it certainly 100% should not be an expectation. Many many factors have to align for that to happen. Plus what happens next year, the year after. Hardly anyone, Leicester excluded maintains those good runs and actually elevates themselves from the pack and becomes top drawer for any period of time, and Leicester did not do it by spunking money up the wall, they did it by carefully building a team from the bottom up over a number of seasons that could maintain the challenge. 

Plus West Ham haven't finished 4th yet, we have only played 10 games.  

West Ham have been able to field the same 8 players every game this season. Similar to us start of last season. Let’s see how they get on when injuries kick in. Tbf they have a decent squad though as have been rebuilding for about 10 years now with good financial backing. We’ve had 3 years. 

People seem to forget this. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

West Ham have been able to field the same 8 players every game this season. Similar to us start of last season. Let’s see how they get on when injuries kick in. Tbf they have a decent squad though as have been rebuilding for about 10 years now with good financial backing. We’ve had 3 years. 

People seem to forget this. 

At what point are we considering the beginning of a team's "rebuilding" phase? And at what point does a team finish their rebuilding phase. Because honestly, I could argue pretty much every team that's not having success atm are in their "rebuilding" phase, which makes the meaning of rebuilding a bit useless.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

At what point are we considering the beginning of a team's "rebuilding" phase? And at what point does a team finish their rebuilding phase. Because honestly, I could argue pretty much every team that's not having success atm are in their "rebuilding" phase, which makes the meaning of rebuilding a bit useless.

Well, yeah. 

But if you have to gut the team after relegation, then I'd say that was rebuilding. 

8 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Fair point. I guess my point is they are several years ahead of us as an established premier league team trying to push on every season. It’s an unfair comparison in my opinion. 

10 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Agreed. There's no such thing as rebuilding in football, it's not US sports where there's a draft.

As for Dean if he doesn't get the team to produce a good performance Friday night then I think that's the end of him. If he's really the manager we want he should be able to get a reaction out of the misfiring squad. 

Edited by villa89

Is Dean the boss? Does he have the final say on what happens on the pitch and on the training ground?

If he is the boss then he must take responsibility for the fact that we aren't as fit as other teams (we run less, press less and cover less kilometres per game that 80/90% of our opposition).

After three years he must be responsible for the fact that our players can't pass accurately to another Villa shirt. Pass completion failures and the continual loss of possession is unacceptable.

We play our eleventh game of the season on Friday night and if we put in a good performance for ninety minutes it will be the first time we have done so since the summer break.

I keep reading that Dean has successfully improved players but the evidence of my own eyes is that most of our players have regressed this season.

If he has improved players then why do they look so average and almost disinterested? Is there a morale problem that would explain the lack of confidence.

I'm aware that I'm painting a negative picture of where I believe we're at currently, and I would love you guys who think we're going to magically bounce back to be right.

However, I don't think that we're just struggling because of bad luck with injuries. I think that Dean and his staff have lost their collective way on the training pitch and then again on match days. 

We look confused and disorientated, and ultimately that is down to the boss.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

If the players back Smith and the problem is Shakespeare, for example, then sack Shakespeare. Hopefully they will identify whatever is at the root of our malaise.

Agree with this. For once, I'd like to see the less easy route taken. Personally can't help but think DS is being hampered by background noise, and would love to see the noise sorted rather than the less expensive removal of a manager. I think what he's done so far deserves any such backing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

A better manager would get a better tune out of these players.

That's all I'm saying.

Its a midtable team in terms of quality so to expect a massive improvement under any manager is wishful thinking. To put it in perspective, we are 4 pts off 10th , which isn't a large deficit for your better manager to reach and certainly not worth getting rid of Smith for at the moment. 

6 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Just listened to this, for Smith to say in the last 4 games we’ve only had one bad 45mins, would love to know what he’s been watching compared to what we’ve seen

You think by saying 'our players are shit' he'll get a better performance out of them?

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

You think by saying 'our players are shit' he'll get a better performance out of them?

Admitting they've not been up to standard is very different to saying they're shit.

Feels like Smith is losing the plot a bit.

5 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Admitting they've not been up to standard is very different to saying they're shit.

Feels like Smith is losing the plot a bit.

He did say that we've not been on our game. Is that not similar 'not been up to standard'?

Feels like folks are hanging onto semantics.  

12 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

A simple " We haven't been good enough, or anywhere near the standards required, but are determined to put it right " or something along those lines would have probably sufficed.

The notion that we've " only had a bad 45 minutes " and have lost the other games " marginally " is frankly, farcical.

The " Margins " have probably been us being large margins shitter than the opposition, and that 45 minutes was us just watching us be shite with no action for 45 minutes.

Not having any emotions about them either way, as right now, it's simply become media, manager speak to me.

It's on the pitch it matters.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â