Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Mings was an injury prone left back laughed out of Bournemouth who became an England squad regular centre back after joining Villa

Grealish has also credited Smith in the famous ITV interview for his rapid improvement

Then we have Trez, El Ghazi, Martinez, Konsa, Hause, Targett who have all improved since he came in

Hause had improved a lot as well and is now a dependable PL CB. 

Also Konsa's improvement is very underrated. Many people think he is our best CB and should be picked for England. He certainly wasn't that player when he joined us.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

If Ming's was that poor, we wouldn't have signed him.

As for the other's you mention. We must have signed some right shite if you claim Smith has improved Targett, El Ghazi and Trez. Also our defence has gone to shite now Terry has gone, so I doubt we can credit him for Konsa and Hause

An he hasn't improved Martinez, he was class the day he came.

Do you not remember Targett and Trez in their first seasons? They came on leaps and bounds in their second, and Targett even won our POTY award.

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Do you not remember Targett and Trez in their first seasons? They came on leaps and bounds in their second, and Targett even won our POTY award.

Our defence has gone to shite. Some claim Smith has improved Ming's and Hause?  So why are they as inconsistent as the day they walked through our door, you can include Targett in that too!

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

He has improved nearly every player that has played under him at Villa including making 3 England internationals, 2 Brazilian, an Argentina and a future Polish international

You would expect to see players improve though  and be internationals after spending £300 mill and this is bandied about like no other manager has done similar … if you gunna use that metric than welcome Eddie Howe who you can argue has shown more ability than Smith in developing players… just sayin and not calling for his appointment necessarily. 

Edited by thabucks

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Has Eddie Howe done that? He made no effort to develop Mings and cant remember any of that Bournemouth squad developing and they leaked goals for fun. All them Liverpool youngsters he signed did nothing 

Erm check out the players who were with him from division 1 to go on and 5 years in the prem… also Callum Wilson. My point was you can name a shit load of managers who have improved players and I’m not sure it’s a viable metric to use myself when trying to justify a mangers worth or position. 

10 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Good coach?

He's been largely clueless without Grealish.

I would expect a good coach to not be so overly reliant on individual brilliance.

There is a big difference between a coach and a manager.

8 hours ago, Keyblade said:

True 

Whatever the criticisms we have of Smith, we can't all suddenly deny the positives, conveniently.

The likes of Trez, Targett 2.0 ( Seems they haven't updated this year's version yet ), Jack, Ollie etc all improved immensely.

Traore was looking good as well then got injured ffs.

I don't doubts Dean's ability as an actual coach.

It's other doubts I have, like proactivity in games, and authority, etc.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

Has Eddie Howe done that? He made no effort to develop Mings and cant remember any of that Bournemouth squad developing and they leaked goals for fun. All them Liverpool youngsters he signed did nothing 

Did Howe also drop huge sums on the likes of Solanke and Ibe and neither are anywhere near PL standard. So even the players he bought in to develop didn't work out. 

14 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

Our next 2 games are against Saints and Brighton, they are both higher placed teams. Only Watford, Leeds, Burnley, Newcastle and Norwich are lower placed than us

I didn't mean lower than us , I meant low in the table compared to the other 30

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Villastine said:

We'll win our next 3 and the bed wetters on here will shut up. Then we'll lose to City and they'll want DS sacked. 

That sounds like wishful thinking to me. We've been waiting for a " reaction " for a few games now.

And when in the past, would any fan want Smith " sacked " for losing to the likes of Man City?

I'm now seeing quite a shifting in goalposts by people who have tunnel vision.

Now everything under the sun is to blame, aside from the Manager. Lange, Shakespeare, Danke, Mcphee, Purslow and El Nino.

When things were going well, who was responsible 🤔

So now the narrative is that Deano is a victim.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

These debates can get so silly when folk so blindly hitch themselves to one side of it without being willing to see any nuance. I caveat this by saying as much as I love Dean I think the writing is on the wall for him in the near future...but to act as though he hasn't been pivotal in improving a number of players? Come on man.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

Our next 2 games are against Saints and Brighton, they are both higher placed teams. Only Watford, Leeds, Burnley, Newcastle and Norwich are lower placed than us

The mildly encouraging thing is we still have 3 of those to face before the end of the year, so we could expect to bolster our points total/league position a bit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

That sounds like wishful thinking to me. We've been waiting for a " reaction " for a few games now.

And when in the past, would any fan want Smith " sacked " for losing to the likes of Man City?

I'm now seeing quite a shifting in goalposts by people who have tunnel vision.

Now everything under the sun is to blame, aside from the Manager. Lange, Shakespeare, Danke, Mcphee, Purslow and El Nuno.

When things were going well, who was responsible 🤔

So now the narrative is that Deano is a victim.

It depends. As I’ve said I think most of this is down to player recruitment, which is demonstrably not solely on Dean. Dean has to take some responsibility, as he’s part of the group, but not sole responsibility.

I don’t remember that many folks (certainly not myself) saying when things are going well that it was down to good recruitment by DEAN. 

31 minutes ago, Villastine said:

We'll win our next 3 and the bed wetters on here will shut up. Then we'll lose to City and they'll want DS sacked. 

Yeah, that's bollocks. Win our next three and those that are unsure will be back fully behind Smith. The Man City result wont change anything. The 'bedwetters' , as you call them, are merely worried because we don't show any signs that we can win the next three games, quite the opposite. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, picicata said:

Yeah, that's bollocks. Win our next three and those that are unsure will be back fully behind Smith. The Man City result wont change anything. The 'bedwetters' , as you call them, are merely worried because we don't show any signs that we can win the next three games, quite the opposite. 

Truth is, a win at Southampton alone would go some way to upping the mood.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â