Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Good coach?

He's been largely clueless without Grealish.

I would expect a good coach to not be so overly reliant on individual brilliance.

He has improved nearly every player that has played under him at Villa including making 3 England internationals, 2 Brazilian, an Argentina and a future Polish international

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He has improved nearly every player that has played under him at Villa including making 3 England internationals, 2 Brazilian, an Argentina and a future Polish international

True, but why are we struggling so much? 

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Not like Grealish was putting up monster goal involvement numbers either. He was used very effectively in our system, but that doesn't mean we were reliant on his individual brilliance. For example, Watkins, Traore and El Ghazi were all up there in terms of production. 

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

could be many reasons, for me confidence looks shot defensively since the Wolves game and some of our big players are bang out of form this season like Mings, Konsa and Watkins.

Sometimes its not always down to coaching

5 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Very good question, especially with the army of backroom staff that Smith also has behind him!

We could have a squad of 25 internationals, but if the head coach and his assistants cannot get the results we need with that group of players then there's something missing somewhere.

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

could be many reasons, for me confidence looks shot defensively since the Wolves game and some of our big players are bang out of form this season like Mings, Konsa and Watkins.

Sometimes its not always down to coaching

If it's not the coaching, What is it down to then?

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

See this is the bit I see as a bit of a myth. ROK and Terry made Grealish into the player he is, with Smith's guidance,, although hardly discipline.

I totally rate Luiz but he still has more bad games than good, was the same from day 1, not great coaching

Targett has good and bad games mostly bad

Don't think he's done much with Ming's

Cash you could argue has improved under Smith

No difference in marv, I could go on.

To put it this way, what players apart from Grealish would Smith put his name too and say, " I made him the player he is today".

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'd be gutted to lose Dean and Jack in such quick succession as having the two Villa fans at the forefront has been one of the best things about being a Villa fan in God knows how long.

Sadly, all good things come to an end.

8 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

The thing is Southgate and Guardiola have barely got a fart out of Jack, Dean doesn't get any credit for getting the best out of him and him looking like one of Europe's best players.  I also see the development of the 3-5-2 as a positive in Jack's absence, it's just he stuck with it too long and probably should have only used it when playing the top 4 teams, albeit we have had fitness issues with the wide forwards.  Hopefully Dean goes back to 4-3-3 for the next few games and if he is to go, he goes down fighting, on the front foot.  I'd be gutted to lose Dean and Jack in such quick succession as having the two Villa fans at the forefront has been one of the best things about being a Villa fan in God knows how long.

He looked like the best player in the league while at Villa, and everywhere else he looks great but nothing truly special. With that in mind, "relying on individual brilliance" might be an underrated skill if it means you can get the very best out of a world class talent.

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

See this is the bit I see as a bit of a myth. ROK and Terry made Grealish into the player he is, with Smith's guidance,, although hardly discipline.

I totally rate Luiz but he still has more bad games than good, was the same from day 1, not great coaching

Targett has good and bad games mostly bad

Don't think he's done much with Ming's

Cash you could argue has improved under Smith

No difference in marv, I could go on.

To put it this way, what players apart from Grealish would Smith put his name too and say, " I made him the player he is today".

Mings was an injury prone left back laughed out of Bournemouth who became an England squad regular centre back after joining Villa

Grealish has also credited Smith in the famous ITV interview for his rapid improvement

Then we have Trez, El Ghazi, Martinez, Konsa, Hause, Targett who have all improved since he came in

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Southampton favourite to beat us Friday on the betting. What are we becoming?😪

Betting odds go on the market, probably all the negative Villa fans these last 4 days betting the life savings 😉

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Southampton favourite to beat us Friday on the betting. What are we becoming?😪

Doesn't help that St Mary's is not a lucky stadium for us and I cannot remember the last time we won when we played on a Friday night.   🤔

5 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Doesn't help that St Mary's is not a lucky stadium for us and I cannot remember the last time we won when we played on a Friday night.   🤔

We have won 4 times there and only lost 3 in the league. Didnt even beat us the year we went down

42 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

If it's not the coaching, What is it down to then?

Ings has disrupted Watkins and fitting both in the starting 11 has disrupted everything else. If we signed a DM instead of Ings, we'd be in a better position. 

Also, injuries, covid and international duty hasn't helped team cohesion either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Mings was an injury prone left back laughed out of Bournemouth who became an England squad regular centre back after joining Villa

Grealish has also credited Smith in the famous ITV interview for his rapid improvement

Then we have Trez, El Ghazi, Martinez, Konsa, Hause, Targett who have all improved since he came in

If Ming's was that poor, we wouldn't have signed him.

As for the other's you mention. We must have signed some right shite if you claim Smith has improved Targett, El Ghazi and Trez. Also our defence has gone to shite now Terry has gone, so I doubt we can credit him for Konsa and Hause

An he hasn't improved Martinez, he was class the day he came.

Nice try though!

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Like 3

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â