Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Arsenal stick with Arteta during his reign and despite his struggles, we can clearly see his vision and how he wants his team to play... Smith is with us for 3 years much longer and all I can think of is his Jack Grealish show, nothing else.. 

1 minute ago, Ingram85 said:

I do get what you’re saying but you’re  coming across as just as extreme but at the opposite end of the spectrum. He isn’t above Villa. 

I never said he was. I just hate hypocrisy, and entitlement. 

I think they are the banes of the internet age. 

The folks on here lambasting Grealish (including myself) for selling us down the river, are more than happy to throw DS under a bus because they demand immediate success. 

Anyway, I'm not saying we should keep DS here in perpetuity, I'm just saying it's fair to give him more than a quarter of a bloody season to sort shit out, especially since he is only partially involved in player recruitment. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

And then Mid table last year. Continuous improvement. You are fed up of people using continuous improvement over the last three seasons as a reason to justify giving DS the opportunity to fix the season, which is 10 games old?

This has been the reason for me having so much belief in where we were going with Dean. And patience in the patches of bad form. My worry is now this seasons potentially turning into survival, I genuinely do think it’s that serious. I’m just starting to believe he’s taken us as far as he can. 

4 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

We may well be, but how were playing lately we won't be anywhere near Europe this season.

Maybe, but that is speculative. IF we play like that for the rest of the season. 

6 hours ago, tomav84 said:

when you're in a sticky patch every game looks tough though. a few weeks back we were eying up this period to really kick on this season

i fancy us friday. there will be a reaction. saints are shite

Love the supreme optimism of Villa fans. Shite, maybe, but also one place above us in the league.

So what does that make us? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IrishVilla10 said:

This has been the reason for me having so much belief in where we were going with Dean. And patience in the patches of bad form. My worry is now this seasons potentially turning into survival, I genuinely do think it’s that serious. I’m just starting to believe he’s taken us as far as he can. 

Look I get your worry, but there are 5 points between 8th and 17th in the table. We are a million miles away from survival. 

5 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Maybe, but that is speculative. IF we play like that for the rest of the season. 

As others have mentioned already, Dean Smith has been close to the sack twice already.

Once in the championship before Grealish returned from injury and we went on a 10 game winning streak that seen us eventually get promoted.

We were dismal the other season just before lockdown happened and I recall we were due to play Chelsea and he was on the verge of the sack then before Covid prevented that.

He has no Covid to save him this time and no Jack Grealish to rely on.

It's the acid test and it's going to be a case of third time unlucky for him now which will ultimately cost him his job.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

I think its time to go, get the right man in place ahead of the January. As has already been pointed out, we are being ever so polite about this because Smith is also a fan, but the ugly truth is we have been very poor for nearly 11 months and look no closer to a winning system without Jack at its centre. Our defence is shattered, our midfield isnt performing, and I think we have an over reliance on myth that is McGinn, who frankly hasnt really performed anywhere near consistently well since promotion. McGinn looks like a pub player at times. I think we need an upgrade on Mings as a first team starter, and increasingly looks like Targett flattered to only deceive and is now average. Is Smith able to makes these big calls?

The management action and decision making is all too slow for me, our pre-season was shocking which resulted in a terrible start and 5 dropped points in first few games, and the petulance shown by a few players now indicates there is no fear or enough respect in the camp.

I would love him to get a result this weekend and turn the corner, it is possible and I would value continuity over a fresh face, but for me Smith needs a chameleon like change in himself and the first team this week.

I have no illusion that with eroding confidence, and the competitive nature of this division, especially this season, we could well be struggling by Christmas, it looks like heads have dropped already and Bailey/Ings/Buendia are all wondering whether they have made a mistake after only 10 games.

Just now, mrchnry said:

Does anyone think if Smith gets sacked he'd be offered another prem job or end up back in the Championship? 

I could see Norwich approaching him if they let Farke go.

Maybe Southampton but cannot think of many other PL teams.

3 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

As others have mentioned already, Dean Smith has been close to the sack twice already.

Once in the championship before Grealish returned from injury and we went on a 10 game winning streak that seen us eventually get promoted.

We were dismal the other season just before lockdown happened and I recall we were due to play Chelsea and he was on the verge of the sack then before Covid prevented that.

He has no Covid to save him this time and no Jack Grealish to rely on.

It's the acid test and it's going to be a case of third time unlucky for him now which will ultimately cost him his job.

You have just illustrated precisely why decisions made on the basis of short term form are bad decisions. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

Look I get your worry, but there are 5 points between 8th and 17th in the table. We are a million miles away from survival. 

We’ve just lost 4 on the bounce and look clueless on the pitch. After Southampton we have Brighton, palace, city, Leicester, Liverpool and then Norwich on 14th December. It would be naive to suggest Southampton is an easy fixture, and the 5 games after that won’t be easy at all.

Just now, IrishVilla10 said:

We’ve just lost 4 on the bounce and look clueless on the pitch. After Southampton we have Brighton, palace, city, Leicester, Liverpool and then Norwich on 14th December. It would be naive to suggest Southampton is an easy fixture, and the 5 games after that won’t be easy at all.

Look, i'll make you a promise. If we don't win any of the games you mention then I will come on here and say I was wrong and Smith out. THAT WILL NOT HAPPEN.

1 hour ago, pas5898 said:

Unless of course Craig Shakespeare is so highly regarded they might feel he could do a good job in the interim.

That’s a disaster waiting to happen. I’d say a fair few of our recent problems are down to Shakespeare. If we were to go down that route, and I doubt we will, then very serious questions need to be asked of Purslow.  The supposed chat with his chauffeur would be cosy compared to his chat with a certain gentleman from Montana and his friend. 

• Like 3

Â