Dean Smith

Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Getting Villa up there, keeping us up there, not enough for you?

If I am being honest - It is a very low bar for Villa mate. You are letting some of the charlatans that owned us off the hook thinking like that. Back to Smith, I'm well aware what he achieved here and I appreciate his good work - he did what was asked of him with promotion and survival - but you can't ignore how it ended here or him struggling and failing with Norwich. Smith had no plan B without Jack, it was Jack or nothing.  Wasn't Smith blaming Norwich fans too? 🤣

Imagine if Bruce or Gerrard had got this gig or similar, there would be no end to the outrage, ridicule and anger on here.  Zatman would lose it 🤣

Smith is incredibly lucky to have landed a Premier League role given his recent record but fair play to him. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

If I am being honest - It is a very low bar for Villa mate. You are letting some of the charlatans that owned us off the hook thinking like that. Back to Smith, I'm well aware what he achieved here and I appreciate his good work - he did what was asked of him with promotion and survival - but you can't ignore how it ended here or him struggling and failing with Norwich. Smith had no plan B without Jack, it was Jack or nothing.  Wasn't Smith blaming Norwich fans too? 🤣

Imagine if Bruce or Gerrard had got this gig or similar, there would be no end to the outrage, ridicule and anger on here.  Zatman would lose it 🤣

Smith is incredibly lucky to have landed a Premier League role given his recent record but fair play to him. 

It might be a low bar for Villa if you take into considertation the club's entire history. 

But a team containing Trezegut, Samatta and Bjorn Engels? Keeping them up is an achievement.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Well that low bar you speak of, Bruce failed to clear it in two years (busy failing at his third attempt when he was asked to leave) and Gerrard was doing his best to take us back there a year being in charge.

So yeah, from a Villa fan perspective, if Bruce landed a premier league gig having had a spectacularly bad spell with a championship side (let’s say, ooooh…West Brom) yes there would be ridicule. Rightly so.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

It might be a low bar for Villa if you take into considertation the club's entire history. 

But a team containing Trezegut, Samatta and Bjorn Engels? Keeping them up is an achievement.

I appreciate that he got us promoted and kept us up (which he is paid to do). You are being very selectively and looking at Smith too emotionally and sentimentally (which is your right) but if you judge Smith's recent record objectively - no way should he be getting Premier League jobs -  he is very lucky to be managing Leicester currently but credit to him. 

2 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

I appreciate that he got us promoted and kept us up (which he is paid to do). You are being very selectively and looking at Smith too emotionally and sentimentally (which is your right) but if you judge Smith's recent record objectively - no way should he be getting Premier League jobs -  he is very lucky to be managing Leicester currently but credit to him. 

Leicester are desperate to stay in the league. He kept Villa up so can evidence that he is able to do what they require. 

Out of interest, who of the following managers do you think deserve to be in the Premier League:

Arteta, Emery, O'Neil, Frank, De Zerbi, Lampard, Hodgson, Dyche, Silva, Gracia, Klopp, Guardiola, Ten Hag, Cooper, Selles, Stellini, Lopetegui. 

46 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Well that low bar you speak of, Bruce failed to clear it in two years (busy failing at his third attempt when he was asked to leave) and Gerrard was doing his best to take us back there a year being in charge.

So yeah, from a Villa fan perspective, if Bruce landed a premier league gig having had a spectacularly bad spell with a championship side (let’s say, ooooh…West Brom) yes there would be ridicule. Rightly so.

Fair enough. It is blatant double standards but if that sits well with you then fair play, I personally couldn't be that disingenuous with myself. 

And btw, you do know after the Play Off Final - Deano said every credit had to be given to Steve Bruce for promotion 🤣 - so maybe you need to give more respect to Brucie for his work in that promotion. 😉 And what was the five game losing run that cost Smith his job? We were heading downwards with a better squad under Deano too, like you say that we were going to under Gerrard. 

I'll always respect and love Deano for what he did for us. As a Villa fan, he got us out of the Championship, kept us up and then turned us into a very decent team. However, i think he will be like Little and Gregory, in that he will never top his time at Villa and won't have success anywhere else. He'll be a Villa icon but won't have a wider legacy. Still a legend though!

Edited by Xela
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

The only reason Emery is here is because Smith got us up, kept us up and progressed the club. 

Yes, probably the right time for him to leave and he isn't capable of what Emery has done. I don't care if he fails at every other club, what he did for us was massive. 

I'll always remember that. 

Yeah but what if you didn't like him at the time because he wasn't a big name, or indeed one Stephen Roger Bruce? You have to feign amnesia.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

The only reason Emery is here is because Smith got us up, kept us up and progressed the club. 

Yes, probably the right time for him to leave and he isn't capable of what Emery has done. I don't care if he fails at every other club, what he did for us was massive. 

I'll always remember that. 

I agree. Unfortunately you're wasting your time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Villa_Vids said:

Fair enough. It is blatant double standards but if that sits well with you then fair play, I personally couldn't be that disingenuous with myself. 

And btw, you do know after the Play Off Final - Deano said every credit had to be given to Steve Bruce for promotion 🤣 - so maybe you need to give more respect to Brucie for his work in that promotion. 😉 And what was the five game losing run that cost Smith his job? We were heading downwards with a better squad under Deano too, like you say that we were going to under Gerrard. 

Wow. Amazing that someone could live through the same experiences as the rest of us for the last few years and yet come out with this. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

If the job is short term does that mean even if he keeps Leicester up they will look for other options in the summer 

I assume they'll take a little time and re-evaluate after the end of the season. 

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

If the job is short term does that mean even if he keeps Leicester up they will look for other options in the summer 

I get the feeling they're going all in for Potter if they stay up.

That said if DS can get them over the line he'll have other opportunities in prem so there's plenty at stake for him. Said before he'd be a good fit for Palace with how they presently are as a club and commitment to developing young players, Southampton aswell if they stay up.

• Like 1

Â