Dean Smith

Demitri_C

7 losses out of 11 games and 20 goals conceded (only the bottom 2 have let in more) is going to have any manager on thin ice. Add in how the second half of last season went and he's probably been given more time than most managers get.

And I think he'd have been given more time still if there was any hint of a turnaround, if it had been a case that we'd played ok and just been a bit unlucky in this losing run. But we haven't, we've been awful - the first half against Soton was one of the worst 45 minutes you will see from any side all season. He started flailing around with line ups and formations, dropping the captain etc and once that starts happening its only ending one way.

It's a shame because it's been a great 3 years overall, and he's a top guy.

But he had to show he could grow as manager as expectations grew at the club, and he hasn't. There's still the same knocks you can put on him as when he first arrived - slow to react tactically, liable to streaky results, and after looking like he had sorted it last season, a reversion to being disorganised defensively. We have consistently been one of the poorer sides for keeping possession and accurate passing, and that is always going to hold a team back if they want to push for the higher places.

Good luck wherever you end up Dean!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, est1874 said:

So, just so I'm clear on your view, you think we should definitely have stuck with Dean?

I'm torn on it if I'm honest 

I think the players aren't performing, it's not the win percentages that bother me, it's not even the 5 game run, it's the bottom of the table for distance covered, tackles made, successful presses, aerial duels won etc the passing percentages from our midfielders, I don't know what's caused it and I don't know if Smith could fix it

I definitley feel sorry for him, be it the players let him down, the staff changes, the injuries and covid, selling Jack, we're back to having problems that are bigger than a manager but ultimately its the manager who pays the price

we're not quite up to Lerner levels but bottom of the league for distance covered? Something stinks at the villa again 

Edit - so to be clear... I understand the decision but I'm disappointed it had to happen, whether or not its the right decision depends on what happens next, this will be pure hindsight unfortunately 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Considering where we were thats not a bad win %.

It will take a lot more money than that to reach 45-50%

The roundly-maligned Tim Sherwood had a very similar win ratio of 35.71% and without the bump Dean got from 37 of his 124 league games for Villa being in the Championship. Devil's advocate perspective for reference.

Edited by est1874

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

The roundly-maligned Tim Sherwood had a very similar win ratio of 35.71% and without the considerable bump Dean got from 37 of his 124 league games for Villa being in the Championship. For reference.

Sherwood was a clown, no comparison I'm afraid

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Sherwood was a clown, no comparison I'm afraid

He was. But my point is you're defending a pretty poor conversion rate due to sentiment.

I loved Dean but he was just a chapter for us. We need to acknowledge it hasn't been good enough for quite some time now and look forwards.

Edited by est1874
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

He was. But my point is you're defending a pretty poor conversion rate due to sentiment.

I loved Dean but he was just a chapter for us. We need to acknowledge it hasn't been good enough for quite some time now and look forwards.

Not a lot of sentiment, just acknowledgement of where we were.

I think many folks have forgotten that part.

Totally accept that results need to be better though 

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

The socials seem to be full of people saying "Big mistake" and similar.

Dean had a 36% win percentage during his time at Villa.

As much as we loved him, I don't understand how anyone can go defending that, especially with the money spent.

I assume his win percentage without Grealish was much lower. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Sorry to stray off-off-topic, but that 'we' doesn't sit right with me anymore. NSWE have just shifted into 'they' territory. Disgusting decision. 

Agree. I've been livid all day. 5 games FFS.

The "want it all now" voices strike again.

• Thanks 1

Have to say I'm already tired of the media putting their oars in and acting as if this was some kind of terrible decision. The fact that many Villa fans are very keen on him on a personal level but still believe it was the correct decision to sack him shows just how little they know.

• Like 2

Dean did a great job in bringing together the football club,at a dark time, his ability to create harmony, cannot be surpassed. No one has or will question him as a person....He is a top man and will always be remembered fondly as so.

In many ways a victim of his own success....by taking us in to the Premier league, has arguably took us to level, that is as far has he can go.....this league now, has some heavyweights, in terms winning football matches.

The results sequences doesn't lie, and judging by the performances, it was unlikely to change....that will obviously remain as conjecture.

The decision today was only part of it, we have to get the next part right....The new man has to have proved his leadership skills and ideally has a winning mentality, above all else....He has to be able to convince this squad, they are better than this,

The timing, for me was pretty inevitable, 10 games in, gives the new man time to set about, keeping us in this division,primarily.

A sad day in lots of ways, lets hope its just a chapter in this clubs history and on to better things.

Best of Luck, Dean

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Absolute Villa legend. Only time will tell if this was the right decision, personally I'm sceptical. If we get a top dog who turns us around fair enough, but my assessment is it's not the manger that is the issue this season. So much love and it will be gutting to see him doing well elsewhere, which I am sure he will do. 

Big up Deano, I hope we both thrive from here on in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

Lineker still an idiot

Its inevitable that pundits, who don't give a toss, about our clubs status, make these comments...I would think so many other clubs were delighted to see us floundering.

Chelsea do it, and its foresight from the board.....we do it and we are mean.

Right now, no one can be sure, if its right or not......but losing matches in an unconvincing style, with plenty of basics absent, could not continue, unchecked.

4 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

Absolute Villa legend. Only time will tell if this was the right decision, personally I'm sceptical. If we get a top dog who turns us around fair enough, but my assessment is it's not the manger that is the issue this season. So much love and it will be gutting to see him doing well elsewhere, which I am sure he will do. 

Big up Deano, I hope we both thrive from here on in.

so where does the problem lie?

Poor Dean. Not what he'd have envisioned. At least he's got a golden parachute and plenty of good will intact. He can afford to unwind with his family, take a long holiday and wait for the inevitable job offers to roll in. He'll be alright, but he will still feel like there's unfinished business at Villa. Frustrating end.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â