Dean Smith

Demitri_C

14 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Just wondering whether there is any other walk of life (outside politics) in which this happens. Are there web sites where people argue passionately about whether the CEO of Shell or BP should be sacked for example?

There's a Reddit thread for everything under the sun mate. Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, the_eristic said:

kapitaltalk.com

Isn't that a forum where the overriding opinion is, that all CEO's should be murdered and that the means of production should be seized?

13 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I have to point it out.

Because when people start getting lumped into groups/categories " Either with us, or against us " style , it leaves no room for nuanced debate, or any sort of in between.

To the point where posters go as far as having vendettas against each other which will even come out in random unrelated posts/threads 🤦🏿

But yes indeed, we all do want the same thing.

For me it’s just procrastination from work. I’ve probably made the same point about Smith 10 times since Sunday and I’m not even as active as others. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

For me it’s just procrastination from work. I’ve probably made the same point about Smith 10 times since Sunday and I’m not even as active as others. 

True, you can miss a few days of posting, come back, and realise that it's the same circular argument, with the exact same people arguing points, and counterpoints. The exact same things, just maybe worded slightly different the angrier each gets. Lol

• Like 3

Woke up wondering if maybe all this had to happen - the explosion of views and opinions - maybe a delayed anger stage of the grief cycle? The proper anger I mean, not the immediate one most of us felt, but the dangerous one that simmers. Maybe most of us, club included, didn't handle the Joe saga anywhere near as well as we thought. Killed the belief in the project maybe, or more accurately badly wounded it, and it's taking us a while to recover. Psychically scarred?

This may all be vital in our recovery, one way or another.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, GrassyNoel said:

Woke up wondering if maybe all this had to happen - the explosion of views and opinions - maybe a delayed anger stage of the grief cycle? The proper anger I mean, not the immediate one most of us felt, but the dangerous one that simmers. Maybe most of us, club included, didn't handle the Joe saga anywhere near as well as we thought. Killed the belief in the project maybe, or more accurately badly wounded it, and it's taking us a while to recover. Psychically scarred?

This may all be vital in our recovery, one way or another.

That’s the first thing you wondered after you woke up? :)

• Haha 3

He's also had much easier games.

We really really need to beat Southampton. Because after the break I'm sure we'll be getting our annual schooling from Brighton.

I feel like Smith has faced the abyss fair few times here and he's come up with the goods just when you think it's over. Certain he's got the mettle, less sure of the squad's. Conversely, I'm the other way round with ability.

I feel for Smith. It’s a massive game on Friday and he has no Ings, Konsa, Luiz, Sanson and Ramsey. Now I know every team has injuries but that’s a whole midfield and a big money striker plus a reliable defender. 

I can’t see us winning this.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

True, you can miss a few days of posting, come back, and realise that it's the same circular argument, with the exact same people arguing points, and counterpoints. The exact same things, just maybe worded slightly different the angrier each gets. Lol

And yet here you are, back again for more with the rest of us 😂

The addiction is real!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, momo said:

Bielsa has had an equally bad 10 games, and he is sitting safe

7 points from their last 3 games isn't it?

Dean gets us a win from Southampton and Brighton and draw at Palace (as we're always rubbish at Selhurst Park whatever the form) and I'm sure he'll see in 2022 as Villa manager, up to him to make it happen.

Football is a results game and whilst I don’t share the clamour from those who “shout loudest” on here to sack Dean I do acknowledge the last four games have been poor.  

For me, Smith has lead the change in the entire culture of the club, it  has improved a million times more from Steve Bruce days, from youth through to first team, with a strong academy and players getting first team minutes.  Also, playing alignment (formations/roles/responsibilities)

There is/was a harmony and togetherness around the squad.  That said, you learn more about your players when losing than winning (as we are seeing!).  Players should demand more and better from each other, in the right way.

I get the scrutiny, however stability does bring growth (isn’t Moyes in his second stint at Spam?), sometimes things have to click.  This is a new and still young team, it just needs to click and hopefully that happens Friday 

Edited by macandally

Remember when we our second string outplayed Chelsea at Stamford Bridge only to go out through peno's? Everything seemed to be progressing smoothly from the youth upwards. Things have changed fast, and can equally change again. We desperately need some luck, a barnstorming performance, and a bit of youthful magic sprinkled in.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I feel for Smith. It’s a massive game on Friday and he has no Ings, Konsa, Luiz, Sanson and Ramsey. Now I know every team has injuries but that’s a whole midfield and a big money striker plus a reliable defender. 

I think I'm coming to accept that Smith is getting sacked, because the injury crisis is too bad, and another 1 or 2 losses will see most fans turn.

The reality is that if we're still starting Marvelous Nakamba in Premier League games 2.5 years after we signed him on a whim from Belgium, something has gone wrong. Nice lad and good attitude, but he's miles and miles off the required level.

Smith has been desperately unlucky with the Brazil/Argentina situation, but it's just exposed that at GK and DM we only have one credible player in each position. Surely we should have anticipated that our non-European players would need more squad cover.

Is it Smith who's got this wrong or the club? I don't know. Whoever's to blame, it's costing us a lot of points at the moment, and will probably do for Smith's Villa tenure, unless he pulls something out the hat on Friday.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Are Luiz, Ings and Sanson definitely out? To be honest it might work better for him. It does give him an excuse if we do lose. It would also give him a big plus if he gets a win despite the absentees. The way we have been playing, this is a likely lose fixture whatever!

6 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Are Luiz, Ings and Sanson definitely out? To be honest it might work better for him. It does give him an excuse if we do lose. It would also give him a big plus if he gets a win despite the absentees. The way we have been playing, this is a likely lose fixture whatever!

As far as I’m aware they are out but haven’t seen confirmation yet.

• Like 1

Lifted from Mischa on Facebook, I'll try to find the article and link, if it hasn't been posted somewhere here already.

From the The Athletic:

‘Owners Nassef Sawiris, who takes a daily interest in Villa, and Wes Edens are not ready to press the panic button just yet, but sources suggest a Villa defeat at Southampton on Friday night could lead to a review period during the international break.’

‘The majority of the players are understood to be behind the head coach. It is understood that the players did not feel the 3-5-2 formation was beneficial to their game.’

‘Mings was understood to be furious at the decision (to be dropped), announced to him 24 hours in advance. He cut a dejected figure during the warm-up and sat with a face like thunder until called upon to fill in for the red-carded Ezri Konsa.’

‘Carney Chukwuemeka is no closer to signing a new Aston Villa contract.’

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â