Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I haven’t seen the whole match, and wasn’t able to watch Arsenal, but what would we lose in trying youngsters? We’re doing very bad either way. Smith needs to act quickly, we can’t take 3-4 games each run to understand where is the mistake then act. 

4 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I wasn't taken with Smith's appointment but looked towards his Brentford team and wished we could mirror it and leave the dark day's of Bruce ball behind.  I was one of those so just got onboard regardless of my concerns and the cavalier reports of up/down/up/down with Smith. The reality is though, his Villa team have never played anywhere near the same as Brentford. 3 Years now and we still can't hold the ball and play and move 5-10 yards. We look currently like a Bruce team not a Smith team. Devoid of ideas, direction, rudderless on the pitch and off it. This is my biggest disappointment with him and the reason I'd be happy for a change. 

I think you are being way too harsh. Regardless of what is happening now, up until the start of this season he had done an amazing job at Villa. Yes, we are poor at the moment, but let's not rewrite history. Even if he is sacked tomorrow, I would consider the job he has done here to be excellent. 

• Like 1

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it but the throw in bullshit needs to end. Ridiculous holding play up so long, dragging players across the pitch just to throw a ball to nobody. Absolutely ridiculous the manner in which we are using the long throw. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

The problem for me is changing the coaching team. The players are looking at a new coaching system and a new way of playing. This is definitely going to upset a few if not the whole team. We know how frustrating it is, when people want to change things which in reality, were not broken. It's looking more and more likely they are not getting on with Shaky and Dank's. They just don't look happy on the pitch and Ming's being benched I think, would have been down to the coaching staff more than Smith surely.

This is my take on the matter anyway, I think he has to win the next 3 games, or guaranteed he'll be gone, the board cannot afford this and I doubt will allow it.

I await @DCJonah comments😂

It's not good for the managers credibility when a relatively successful coaching set up is torn up. I can't imagine that's was DSs idea.

9 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

This place is very nice tonight. No meltdown as some predicted and a rational conversation about Deano on the back of 4 losses. 

Inside most people feel like this haha

spacer.png 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

You have to look at the defending we literally couldn't keep west ham from scoring.

First goal was I think six minutes.

Then after we equalised we held west ham for around two minutes.

Basically we west ham needed to score - they could.

Totally agreed. Once we got to 1-1 you see who was going to score next, defo not us. We only got the goal because of West ham complacency.

1 minute ago, avfc1982am said:

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it but the throw in bullshit needs to end. Ridiculous holding play up so long, dragging players across the pitch just to throw a ball to nobody. Absolutely ridiculous the manner in which we are using the long throw. 

Spoke about this in the match thread, but as far as I can tell, McPhee is basically earning a living because Hause won a header, and Ings scored an overhead kick out of nowhere. Not much to shout about over 10 games, is it?

Other than that, we're woeful at set peices, we continue to do FAFC, and we look more fragile at defending them than ever. I'd happily tell him to **** off.

After the manure game i said that the thing that would mean Deano was a good long term manager was if he could show consistency from there on in and build on that result. 4 defeats in a row   12 goals conceded, players showing dissent and absolutely no building on that result whatsoever suggests that he cannot give that to us. Compare and contrast West Ham who look a proper football team. Strong and nasty spine with no little skill with very good players around that spine . They remind me of Manure under Ferguson more than any other side in the premier.  

My massive issue with Smith is his insistence that he buys players to improve them. All well and good if you do improve them but this is the most competitve league on the planet, probably in any sport.  Recruitment isnt looking great at the moment based on what we have seen from the summer signings. Buendia is unfortunately just too small and Bailey doesnt look anywhere near as quick as what i was led to believe. 

I really hope we can get things together and beat Southampton as i like Dean and everything he stands for but if he doesnt then he has to go. Especially looking at Decembers fixtures. 

14 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Ironically - today was Bailey's first start and first start alongside Buendia and I thought they showed glimpses of why recruited both. But it looked like Ramsey was being played wider than Buendia, which again makes no sense as that mean Ramsey was just a passenger till injured.

But starting Nakamba, McGinn and Ramsey screamed 'UH OH' and it was their lack of pressing and physicality that allowed the space for those two soft goals. Bringing Young on made it marginally worse as their midlfielders just jumped all over him and the ref gave us absolutely nothing.

Even if I think Mings shouldn't be undroppable (nor any player) Hause should have been sent off and his actions helped get Konsa red carded. he didn't really look better than Mings, so not sure Mings should have been dropped.

On reflection it was a very strange decision 

1 minute ago, Xela said:

I think you are being way too harsh. Regardless of what is happening now, up until the start of this season he had done an amazing job at Villa. Yes, we are poor at the moment, but let's not rewrite history. Even if he is sacked tomorrow, I would consider the job he has done here to be excellent. 

I don't think I am being harsh tbh. We played so great counter attacking football in the run in to the championship finale, last year we also played some great counter attacking football. We have never though looked like mirroring his previous team who have looked very comfortable in possession. I'm not saying the last 3 years have been shit, far from it as I would be negative for negative sake. But our style of play, or lack of, has been disappointing to me. Other than the counter attacking team we were last year, nobody can say with conviction what we are stylistically. We have no particular style. This is the point I'm making. 

• Like 1

On the way to the ground today my boy asked if I thought Smith would be sacked if we got beat badly, I said no. I thought there would be the usual hyperbole that follows every defeat but felt there was enough credit in the bank to to see him through a sticky patch. 

By sticky patch I mean defeats, we haven’t been great all year but losing Jack who we relied on so much was always going to take time to recover from. So to my mind 4 defeats wasn’t enough to pull the trigger. 

But after a bit more reflection the manner of those defeats is concerning. Like many I struggle to get tickets for away games so only saw Arsenal and Spurs on TV, but I’m at every home game and watching Wolves and West Ham up close, it’s been a shambles. The glass half full guys will point to the early injury to Ramsey and the sending off, but truth be told neither made a difference, they were the better team from the first minute. 

This is the managers thread so I don’t want to go OT by hammering players, but MT was a disaster today, top managers drag him off at HT, but there was nothing, no plan to stem the tide. When Smith first came to the club for the first 5/6 game we were passing for the sake passing, we didn’t have the players to do it, but I didn’t mind it because i thought he was trying to embed a philosophy and sometimes you have to take a step back before you can take a step forward. For some reason we ditched that after half a dozen games or so and since then I find it difficult to describe our style of play. 

Im in my 40’s now and because I joined the Army when I left school I missed the UTD and Leeds cup wins so the playoff final was the first time I watched us win something at Wembley, and I’ll never forget that. Maybe that’s the reason I’m not quote Smith out just yet, because he’s given me some of my happiest moments as a fan, but doubts are starting to creep in.  

We have no particular style. This is the point I'm making. 

Our only style now is to lump it forward after 4 or 5 sideways passes in midfield. Even from the first half kick-off I could have sworn we passed it straight back for one of our players to hoof it toward the corner flag.

Pretty sure we used to do that in U15’s Sunday league football, and mostly because we were shit.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Spoke about this in the match thread, but as far as I can tell, McPhee is basically earning a living because Hause won a header, and Ings scored an overhead kick out of nowhere. Not much to shout about over 10 games, is it?

Other than that, we're woeful at set peices, we continue to do FAFC, and we look more fragile at defending them than ever. I'd happily tell him to **** off.

All the talk about specifics, the little things on the pitch making the difference. We've forgotten to do the basics worrying about the bullshit. Today for instance, I would hate to think how much time we wasted in possession farting around at throw ins. Most the fans got pissed off with this 2nd half it was that ridiculous.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Our only style now is to lump it forward after 4 or 5 sideways passes in midfield. Even from the first half kick-off I could have sworn we passed it straight back for one of our players to hoof it toward the corner flag.

Pretty sure we used to do that in U15’s Sunday league football, and mostly because we were shit.

This 100 times.

Ignoring everything else that has happened (hard to i know) we had a chance to improve our wafer thin, horribly unbalanced midfield in the close season and yet again we didn't.

• Like 2

All the talk about specifics, the little things on the pitch making the difference. We've forgotten to do the basics worrying about the bullshit. Today for instance, I would hate to think how much time we wasted in possession farting around at throw ins. Most the fans got pissed off with this 2nd half it was that ridiculous.

I've been saying it for a while. The whole club seems to have been overthinking things.

All this data analytics and recruitment yeah sure most clubs have it - but are there too many fingers in the pie.? 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â