Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We play like we did against Chelsea for most of the season if we got 38 losses we’d be the unluckiest team there’s ever been. Just ain’t going to happen. 

As I said, I totally agree with your premise. But at the end of the day the results must come or Dean will be in trouble, especially with the quality in the squad now.

For what it's worth, if we build on the Chelsea performance (i.e chances and general play rather than the result) I think we will absolutely batter someone in the near future and that will set us off running. 

We need a catalyst to kick start the season, something like a J. Ramsey 30 yard winner would be ideal. 

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

You can do both. The extreme of playing poorly and keeping winning 1-0 is rare IME.

You can't guarantee results.

All you can do is work hard to try and play well.

Smith's focus on performance and calling out when we're poor is one of my favourite things about him.

If we could play badly and win every week, of course Smith and the fanbase would love it, we'd win the title every season. Isn't going to happen though is it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We need a winner.

Not just vibes.

Managers aren’t winners and losers. They suit a job or they don’t.

Dean Smith has done and is doing exactly what is needed at Villa.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Unless a top tier manager is available I wouldn't be for sacking for the sake of it.

Smith needs at least 10 games before his sacking would be considered imo. It would be crazy to sack him now, if they were to sack him now they should have sacked him at the end of last season. But they kept him and trusted him so he will stay for a bit longer at least. I am sure that CP and others have a list of potential replacements and if the time comes they will be prepared

Just now, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

The man is class- instantly creates an even deeper family feel after our loss in the summer because thats what he and we are UTV

Its a business, the product is sport and the value proposition is entertainment. Jack was an asset we sold at a profit.  If CP or NSWE treat AVFC as a family and get sentimental about it we will fail. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

Its a business, the product is sport and the value proposition is entertainment. Jack was an asset we sold at a profit.  If CP or NSWE treat AVFC as a family and get sentimental about it we will fail. 

Seems like they did though the second they walked in the building. They knew and took the time to learn what AVFC was all about. Acted like nothing but top professionals & dignified men from all the appointmemts, to the investment; they trust Purslow who trusts Smith. No question about it. You say they sold like they had a choice. Jack engineered it and the release clause had no comeback from- they did all they could to persuade and keep him because they knew what it meant to the fans my guy

• Like 1

The squad is better than last seaosn, he has more options now but wonder if he knows his best 11 when all are available. At the end of the day its all about points on the board. We haven't made the best start to the season and we cant afford to loose tomorrow.

42 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

sadly, you are right.

but they won't.

9 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Onuoha will naturally have regrets about how it transpired at City, he probably feels a different coach would have elevated his career at that point - it is important to remember Nedum was loaned to QPR at the time they won the Premier League, so some resentment will linger about not being involved and contributing to that. It is perfectly natural to be honest and understandable. I am wary of former players talking about ex coaches, especially when it is one sided. Not everybody is going to like you and that is fine.

At the end of the day, It is all about what happens on the pitch for us fans, we all crave success at whatever cost. Morals have no say in who wins or loses. You are more likely to win silverware with a Mancini than you are with a lot of current managers. If we are all being honest we would take a manager like Mancini in a heartbeat. 

Over what Dean Smith has built at Villa, the young players he’s nurturing, and the squad instability since Jack left, no I wouldn’t.

Talk to me in 2 years.

I also don’t crave success at any cost.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Spurs, Arsenal and Everton.

All of those teams are established premier league teams.

All of those teams finished above us last year taking 7th, 8th and 10th.

It's no conclusion, just going by what Deano is stating.

He's saying the complete opposite of what you said. He said it's very difficult, because they're established. I don't know how you can conclude that we need to finish 6th-8th now because of that.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Deano laughing at Peps plea for fans in the presser 😆

I think he's right.....but,some of the questions in that presser, you would expect from juveniles....such low grade.

I'm not sure what Dean must think, when he leaves the room.

Just now, TRO said:

I think he's right.....but,some of the questions in that presser, you would expect from juveniles....such low grade.

I'm not sure what Dean must think, when he leaves the room.

He’s always respectful though which I like. I’ve seen how some managers respond and it’s cringe worthy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, a m ole said:

Over what Dean Smith has built at Villa, the young players he’s nurturing, and the squad instability since Jack left, no I wouldn’t.

Talk to me in 2 years.

I also don’t crave success at any cost.

Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking what we have achieved under Smith's leadership. I have loved every bit of the ride under DS. Dean Smith has many strengths. He is an educator with a excellent track record of developing players. He comes across as a fantastic human being and really likeable. He has helped to transform the squad/club since he arrived. He has a local connection with Villa. I want him to achieve more & more.

I do not take any of that for granted but I am not blinded by it. I have doubts about whether he can become a coach that is at the top end of the Premier League and wins silverware (which has been the stated aim by NSWE). We must not be sentimental and make excuses for DS when we lose games and under perform. That is wrong too.  We will be stuck on a hamster wheel with that mind set. Praise when it is deserved, criticise when it is deserved. That is the fairest way. There may be a time when the club needs  somebody else to progress, all totally healthy and does not take away from what Smith has done here.

I crave success for Villa, I cannot speak for all the fans but I am fairly confident that a large percentage want us to be truly successful again. If we have to change coach and look for somebody with a proven track record then so be it. Aston Villa needs to be great again, it is an injustice that we have not had the success the club deserves over the last twenty plus years

Â