Dean Smith

Demitri_C

9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

13th next season would be pretty disappointing, can't really see how it would be spun any other way.

Currently we're 11th. As frustrating as it is we have to accept with wage bills and stuff there's no shock to all the teams above us bar Leeds being where they are. Leeds have hit great run in last 6 weeks taking many points off top 6 teams so that's given them the slight edge as it stands but still all to play for last 3 games.

Finishing two places lower would mean two of Wolves, Palace, Southampton, Brighton, Newcastle, Burnley or a newly promoted club coming up and storming it finishing above us. It really shouldn't happen bar Wolves getting Jimenez fit again and also signing really good players again rather than young projects which has cost them a bit this season.

Also no idea how we'd keep Grealish finishing in that position so don't think there should be this reluctance to keep trying to move forward all the time. After 06/07 we didn't finish bottom half for another 5 seasons for example so the upward approach and demands worked o.k for that period.

All Brighton need is a striker better than Maupay and instantly be 3 places higher up.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Most clubs don't have a lot of money. I think we're a fair bit wealthier than the clubs around us, and should be expecting progress.

I'd be more understanding if things stall around top 6, where our rivals are very rich. But for now we should keep kicking on.

My feeling (without yet having the summer transfer window) is that the target for the 21/22  season will be 7th. I’m basing that on the noises being made by the club about our summer transfer ambitions, which they’re not exactly playing down! So if we do have what looks on paper  like a better transfer window than the likes of Everton, West Ham, Leeds, Arsenal etc then we should realistically target 7th. Finishing a bit lower (say 9th) would probably be acceptable if accompanied by, perhaps, a league or FA Cup. Let’s wait and see what happens in the summer, it’s quite possible one or two other clubs have a blinding transfer window that makes the landscape look different once again. 
As you rightly point out, most clubs hit that wall around 7th. That’s when you need owners who hold their nerve and try to keep spending to break into the next level. I think there are currently a few clubs above us that we could target to finish above next season…..Leeds, Everton, West Ham. They’re clubs that it wouldn’t be a surprise if we finish above them. Of the so-called big 6, I think Arsenal, Spurs, and Leicester could be more susceptible next season to a challenger or two. I think next season we could be looking at the old school big 4 of Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool. Leicester perhaps could have a similar season, but I certainly see Arsenal and Spurs continuing to struggle. 

39 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Oh I totally agree re set pieces. We could have had 100 corners and wouldn’t have scored any of them. I wish we had someone like James Ward-Prowse or actual James Ward-Prowse. But yes, it’s an area Smith needs to work on.

Honestly if there is onw thing we need to look at in the summer is someone that can take a bloody corner.

Its either cant  beat the first defender or a short corner that breaks down the attack before it even gets to the box 

Some of this stuff with setpieces is so bad. Some of the worst ive seen in years from us

39 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Players have to take their chances. Mings 

edit: We’ve scored 10 goals from set pieces this season. 6th best in the league. 

Really. That is a massive suprise

48 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

All Brighton need is a striker better than Maupay and instantly be 3 places higher up.

Brighton are a top side based on xG

Think they would be a lot higher than 3 places higher up if they had players to finish off their chances

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Brighton are a top side based on xG

Think they would be a lot higher than 3 places higher up if they had players to finish off their chances

But you said Maupay was a top class striker 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I said he is better than Wesley which he is. 

If only there was a search function on here that proved you'd said more than just that...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I said he is better than Wesley which he is. 

Still debatable when you add in the fact his teammates hate him. Dean was right to stay away. 

16 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Still debatable when you add in the fact his teammates hate him. Dean was right to stay away. 

I was wondering the same about us not going in for Benrahma, a good player, but perhaps not good enough for where we want to go - and Deano would know. If he’d come in last summer with Traore it would’ve been difficult to justify replacing him already given the fee involved, whereas upgrading El Ghazi (about £8M was it?) this summer is a no-brainer. 

Perhaps Mr Smith knows what he’s doing after all..? 

1 hour ago, OxfordVillan said:

My feeling (without yet having the summer transfer window) is that the target for the 21/22  season will be 7th. I’m basing that on the noises being made by the club about our summer transfer ambitions, which they’re not exactly playing down! So if we do have what looks on paper  like a better transfer window than the likes of Everton, West Ham, Leeds, Arsenal etc then we should realistically target 7th. Finishing a bit lower (say 9th) would probably be acceptable if accompanied by, perhaps, a league or FA Cup. Let’s wait and see what happens in the summer, it’s quite possible one or two other clubs have a blinding transfer window that makes the landscape look different once again. 
As you rightly point out, most clubs hit that wall around 7th. That’s when you need owners who hold their nerve and try to keep spending to break into the next level. I think there are currently a few clubs above us that we could target to finish above next season…..Leeds, Everton, West Ham. They’re clubs that it wouldn’t be a surprise if we finish above them. Of the so-called big 6, I think Arsenal, Spurs, and Leicester could be more susceptible next season to a challenger or two. I think next season we could be looking at the old school big 4 of Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool. Leicester perhaps could have a similar season, but I certainly see Arsenal and Spurs continuing to struggle. 

I think framing it this way in terms of teams we want to overhaul in the table next season is much better than a specific league place. Spurs, Everton and Arsenal look like prime targets, which should place us maybe 7th or 8th, but changes the focus. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OxfordVillan said:

Next year, if we are to aspire to european football, is a great opportunity to get right in there. As those clubs continue to battle on multiple fronts, we'll still benefit from the lack of that distraction from the time being. it's a distraction we ultimately want of course, but needs investment alongside it. West Ham, through over-achieving are probably more likely to slip back a few places. Leeds is hard to know how well they sustain / can push  on from there, but will be our rivals nevertheless alongside Everton. Definitely I think trying to finish best of the rest next year is a realistic goal.

But I would love us to properly go for it in the cups though. Nothing beats adding a trophy to the cabinet list. 

Forgive me, but it's quite rare that we have much debate about Smith's Villa tactically isn't it? Mainly because we are rightly grateful for the results under Smith, but what are the areas we can improve on?

- Imo our pressing off-the-ball needs a lot of work, though it has improved a bit recently.

- Are we a bit one-dimensional in trying to get it wide and get overloads? Does it work enough nowadays? Smith always talks about overloads but if you nullify our wide play we are a bit lacking going forward. Maybe playing Jack number 10 and buying a good winger sorts that out (or buy a number 10).

- Are we good enough at set pieces? Having started the season strongly, we have fell off a cliff offensively in that sense. There doesn't seem to be a lot of nuance going on there. We probably need a set piece taker tbh, but also I'm not sure what the actual idea is behind the balls in atm.

Positively:

- We are a very cohesive defensive unit nowadays.

- We look confident at breaking the press and can play openly now. Last season we were absolutely shockingly open because we weren't good enough to play as high and open as we were, but we are a lot better (a lot of that is due to Dougie btw).

- We have very good players in many positions. I genuinely believe Martinez, Konsa, Targett, Grealish, Luiz (maybe next season), Watkins could all start for top four teams. A few more additions like that and we could push Europe.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Players have to take their chances. Mings missed a sitter. Konsa probably could have had double figures the amount of chances his had from set pieces this seasons. Had he even taken a couple of those chances you’d be saying we are good at set peices. 

edit: We’ve scored 10 goals from set pieces this season. 6th best in the league. 

They do, and it has to be a factor in consideration, when we talk about improving.

We still make too many mistakes, to be a top team......we have to reduce them, if we are to progress.

To be in the first team all players, must reduce their errors, else they will find themselves as just squad players, if we have any ambition.

If the owners stomp up another huge purse....the pressure will build on all, for more consistency. They will not stand by and accept a level of consistency that spells mid table.

3 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Some of the people demanding top 6 next season need their heads testing, have they forgotten that we were only promoted last season and stayed up by the skin of our teeth?

Were very much a work in progress and what Dean has achieved so far has been nothing but amazing for this club.

I'd be more than happy with a top 10 finish again next season as were no where near the top 6 in terms of squad depth and this will require more time and significant investment.

In Dean and NSWE i trust.

Who’s actually demanded it though? Think there’s been some misunderstandings here.

The amount of money that’s been spent, and the age of the squad, I think a lower half finish would justifiably raise eyebrows. Grealish won’t be 25 forever.

I say all this as a very big fan of Dean Smith, and I think he will deliver it. Something like 7th or 8th next season would be a par effort IMO.

7 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Who’s actually demanded it though? Think there’s been some misunderstandings here.

The amount of money that’s been spent, and the age of the squad, I think a lower half finish would justifiably raise eyebrows. Grealish won’t be 25 forever.

I say all this as a very big fan of Dean Smith, and I think he will deliver it. Something like 7th or 8th next season would be a par effort IMO.

Why does everyone keep mentioning money like we have spent more than those around us. Sheffield United spent £70 million, Wolves £90 million, Spurs £115 million. Our outlay of about £100 million a year is solidly average for the modern day PL. Nothing special. It's what you have to spend to just stay competitive. 

It's why this summer we will likely see a similar number spent but on targets who are either under valued or young and full of potential. It's the only way we can compete baring a Man City like £200 million plus outlay. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

I have no idea of the quality, we are expecting to bring in, so that could temper my thoughts...but  assume £100 mill will be spent.

I am expecting to finish, 8-10th next season, thats assuming we play the same way as we have this season, I predicted 12th this season, so not too far off.

I think it will be huge season for Dean, because the more money we spend, the expectation will rise accordingly and subsequently the pressure will be felt.

I think this policy of everything going out wide, will limit our overall ability to find the consistency, to reach any notion of European football.

I think Dean to have a chance, He needs to focus on the centre of midfield and bring in some real quality, with players who can stay on the ball with some aplomb..

We need another striker for sure, to compliment Ollie.

I have no fanciful expectations, I think it will be hard to secure, the right quality.....no more lightweights, no more fly by nights, no more Mavericks.....and we might have a chance for loftier, expectations....but right now 8-10th for me...or same again 12th.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Why does everyone keep mentioning money like we have spent more than those around us. Sheffield United spent £70 million, Wolves £90 million, Spurs £115 million. Our outlay of about £100 million a year is solidly average for the modern day PL. Nothing special. It's what you have to spend to just stay competitive. 

It's why this summer we will likely see a similar number spent but on targets who are either under valued or young and full of potential. It's the only way we can compete baring a Man City like £200 million plus outlay. 

Completely agree and the teams we are trying to compete with have a starting advantage of seasons to build their squad and we are only into our second season playing catch up.

• Like 2

Â