Dean Smith

Demitri_C

17 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

I'm happy to be where we are. I'm unhappy that we are only here because of these basic tactical errors. He didn't evvn bother with the basic time-wasting tactic even though we had basically 3 dead weights on the pitch for 30 minutes in mcginn, barkley and traore. 

You're trolling now. We're "only" where we are because of basic tactical errors?

You ever thought we're competing as high as we are through being able to assemble, set-up, motivate and progress a squad of players? 

Spending money still needs a lot of work put in to get points back. 

18 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Its not the end of the sleeve, its a point on your arm in line with where your armpit is. Or was when Watkins decisions was made. He had extremely long sleeves on his top and i assume made them draw the line in the wrong place. 

That's not what they were saying on Sky.

For me, it should be the apex of the shoulder but I dunno what the rules are if we're basing it on what brand of shirt players are wearing.

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

That is not at all what I'm saying. And with you twisting my words so much I can see where villalad21 is coming from. Jesus Christ that is insufferable. 

You said we would be higher in the league if he made simple changes. That's not twisting words. 

I reckon the no subs thing was done on purpose to save others for the midweek game. Let’s not forget we will have had six games in 18 days starting from the Man City game, so, rotation is going to be key.  Three games down now, change things for the next batch of games to help us through it. I’ll be surprised if we play the exact same team on Wednesday. 

Edited by Tayls

6 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

We could be higher if he just made simple changes. 

We could also be lower if we made changes

You can’t state that without agreeing to the opposite.  If we had made a change tonight we may not have won for whatever reason. All we know is that we won tonight based on the decisions Dean made.  Changes to that could’ve lost/drawn the game, made us more comfortable at 1-0 or increased the score line in our favour.  The same with most games.

So you have to accept that we could be higher or lower (I guess you assume higher) but Dean makes the decisions and I’m ok with that because most Villa fans would’ve been delighted at the start of the season to be on 32 points by half way.  We can criticise him but we don’t know and can’t factually claim that if he had made some decisions we wanted then we would be higher in the league.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Wezbid said:

You're trolling now. We're "only" where we are because of basic tactical errors?

You ever thought we're competing as high as we are through being able to assemble, set-up, motivate and progress a squad of players? 

Spending money still needs a lot of work put in to get points back. 

We have been the better team in 15 of our 18 games. If we made better in game adjustments we would have won more than 2/3 of those. When you have the vest player in the pitch you should expect to win. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, bose said:

Smith is the best manager we've had for at least 25 years. Brilliant. Transformed the club. No question for me.

The thing with the subs for me is more of genuine lack of understanding of his thinking in that situation. Of course he has more info but it's a fair question to ask. Tired legs like Barkley and then Traore who is very limited defensively, when you have players like Trez and Nakamba on the bench.

But anyway we won the match and we're five points off a champions league place with a game in hand. Which is ridiculous - the progress is phenomenal and that's why the subs thing just doesn't worry me on the whole going forward.

I also think in general the lack of subs things is a very, very common criticism from fans of most clubs. It's a bit easy - for example saying in a game, that we've lost, that if we had subbed player X off at 70 minutes we would have won. That's just jumping to conclusions which is very easy to do.

This is why I hate the argument so much. It's such an easy moan for those that can't help themself.

Personally, I'd have liked to have seen a change or two tonight with about 15-20 minutes to go. We looked tired jn parts. 

For the West Ham game, I'd like him to give Traore and Barkley a rest, maybe Dougie as well. But, I can't see it happening. Deano likes continuity. If it works then who are we to argue. 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

You said we would be higher in the league if he made simple changes. That's not twisting words. 

I never said he was holding us back. I said we could be better. Now stop replying to me. Or I'm just going to block you. Because this is really annoying. 

• Haha 1

We have been the better team in 15 of our 18 games. If we made better in game adjustments we would have won more than 2/3 of those. When you have the vest player in the pitch you should expect to win. 

Haha so no praise or credit for being the better team in those games. Just that he's held us back with poor in game adjustments. You make it sound so easy. 

Just now, MotoMkali said:

I never said he was holding us back. I said we could be better. Now stop replying to me. Or I'm just going to block you. Because this is really annoying. 

Haha 

You said he has an obvious flaw. 

You said we would be higher in the league if he'd make simple changes. 

You can back track all you want but it was a ridiculous thing to say. 

10 minutes ago, Farlz said:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-southampton-transfers-19737009

I wouldn't say outstanding but I definitely agree with not wanting to upset the balance. Turns out it was the right decision. 

Makes sense! Whether you agree with him or not, he obviously thought about it, made a decision and won the game.

3 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

If we took the easy chances in the games we would be higher. The changes weren't needed today. It was an intense game where a change could have resulted in a major lapse. 

The players looked fitter today and stronger. 

Sorry but that is literally nonsense. 

For a start you are taking a series of unknown factors and projecting an outcome of your own choosing. I mean that isn't even confirmation bias, I don't know what it is at best it is a fiction.

In addition, had Smith made more changes in games it is entirely possible we would have lost some of the games we have won!

Do I think he should have made a change at 2-1 against Burnley? Yes I said so at the time but we still don't know what if any difference that would have made. 

Claiming we would have won 2 or 3 more games if he made more in game changes is utterly without foundation.

• Like 4

Just now, TrentVilla said:

Sorry but that is literally nonsense. 

For a start you are taking a series of unknown factors and projecting an outcome of your own choosing. I mean that isn't even confirmation bias, I don't know what it is at best it is a fiction.

In addition, had Smith made more changes in games it is entirely possible we would have lost some of the games we have won!

Do I think he should have made a change at 2-1 against Burnley? Yes I said so at the time but we still don't know what if any difference that would have made. 

Claiming we would have won 2 or 3 more games if he made more in game changes is utterly without foundation.

Run out of likes today, but need to respond as I couldn't agree more and very well said. 

I can kind of get the argument for subs at times. I've done it myself, as has probably every fan at some point. 

The thing that gets me, is this idea that some believe making the subs they want, when they want them, will always lead to positive results. It's crazy. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

We could be higher if he just made simple changes. 

We've only conceded 7 goals and 'lost' 5 points in the last half an hour of games all season. 4 of those goals and 4 of the points were in the last 15 mins of the Man City and Burnley games. The other point was Pogba's soft penalty at Old Trafford.

You now appear to be using that Burnley game as evidence that Smith has a fatal flaw repeatedly costing us, that other managers are easily turning around games against us late on due to his lack of changes.

For Man City, it all happened after we'd made all 3 subs, so actually if he hadn't made those 'simple' changes, we would be higher, no?  

And again, to be clear, i think Smith should use his bench more, to help keep the squad fresh (and to keep my stress levels down).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

If we took the easy chances in the games we would be higher. The changes weren't needed today. It was an intense game where a change could have resulted in a major lapse. 

The players looked fitter today and stronger. 

If it was so intense how did we win when we were carrying the dead wood of 3 players for 30 minutes? 

Â