Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Need to get back to 4-3-3 to get Hourihane back in the team. Hourihane can win you games. He scores goals.

We actually look worse defensively playing 5 at the back so i don't see the point in it. All we do is losing an attacker/midfielder.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Need to get back to 4-3-3 to get Hourihane back in the team. Hourihane can win you games. He scores goals.

We actually look worse defensively playing 5 at the back so i don't see the point in it. All we do is losing an attacker/midfielder.

Can’t be playing a back 5 and conceding 23 shots at home - midfield far too open  the 3 central defenders are not good enough to make a back 5 work , I agree we need to go back to 433 ,  Samatta is a decent option to hold the ball up front and we need that extra midfielder . 

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

We look worse without Mings in there, simple as that.

I know you're not his biggest fan VL (mainly on that dodgy run he had around November) but simple stats are: Conceded more than two goals in four games he's started this season: Man. City twice, Spurs away and Arsenal away.

Without him we crumbled v Leicester and shipped three today, three at Watford and three at home to Southampton.

We looked weak playing 4-3-3 at start of the season so don't think it's the formation but more playing a very high line which has negatives v opposition with quick forward players like today.

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Genuinely don’t understand people calling for the managers head.  Then again, our fan base is pretty pathetic at times. 

What were people expecting this season?!

Personally I was not expecting a manager to continue playing players like Wesley and Drinkwater when it has been obvious that they are useless, or am I missing something? Perhaps you are suggesting that team selection is someone else's responsibility?

Regards,

VLD

• Like 1

We're going down. 

What, if anything, that means for Smith's future, **** knows. We haven't been truly dreadful much this season, but we've had so many soft losses and so many sucker punch moments.

I've more concern about the squad we'll be taking into the championship. We've been reliant on key squad members for a while with the rest of the squad being a bit shit. Those key players will all be off. I don't think we'll come straight back up.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

We're going down. 

I've thought it was clear for months.

There's a tiny glimmer in that there's a couple of other sides not better than us above us who could drop in.

Feels like everyone else is able to nick points they don't deserve and we have to absolutely kill ourselves for anything and still miss out on points we do!

35 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Can’t be playing a back 5 and conceding 23 shots at home - midfield far too open  the 3 central defenders are not good enough to make a back 5 work , I agree we need to go back to 433 ,  Samatta is a decent option to hold the ball up front and we need that extra midfielder . 

i feel we have gone full circle with formations - and were still in the same position.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

i feel we have gone full circle with formations - and were still in the same position.

I think Samatta offers more than Wesley up front , playing a central back 3 is ok if they are decent at the system but our players are poor in possession and midfield looks too weak with just 2 drinkwater and luis - certainly nakamba offers more than drinkwater ,  I’d expect a middle 3 certainly once McGinn is fit 

The most damning indictment of Smith is that I think we're worse now than at the start of the season. We cannot defend, its beyond comprehension how bad we are. He talks a lot about improving players, I'm not sure he's improved any at Villa. 

(Jack has got better, but he's a different conversation altogether). 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I've thought it was clear for months.

There's a tiny glimmer in that there's a couple of other sides not better than us above us who could drop in.

Feels like everyone else is able to nick points they don't deserve and we have to absolutely kill ourselves for anything and still miss out on points we do!

Today, and I write this satirically (I think), we were doing our absolute best to lose. Engels, Hause etc. made so many hideous little mistakes with the ball at the back it just looked as though one of them was desperate to make sure we didn’t hold on. In the end though, Engels took charge and thought ‘right lads, they’ll definitely score if I do this’. 

What is wrong with playing long down the channels? Just put your foot through it. Honestly, Smith/Terry need to realise we just don’t have the personnel to play this stupid tika-take stuff at the back. We need to go back to basics and that is to get it long early, win the second ball and build from there. Ideally, just give it to Grealish as soon as possible in the final third. 

6 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

The most damning indictment of Smith is that I think we're worse now than at the start of the season. We cannot defend, its beyond comprehension how bad we are. He talks a lot about improving players, I'm not sure he's improved any at Villa. 

(Jack has got better, but he's a different conversation altogether). 

Would be a damning indictment if it was true. I think we’re much better now than we were at the start of the season. Recent form would support that.

27 minutes ago, Chindie said:

We're going down. 

What, if anything, that means for Smith's future, **** knows. We haven't been truly dreadful much this season, but we've had so many soft losses and so many sucker punch moments.

I've more concern about the squad we'll be taking into the championship. We've been reliant on key squad members for a while with the rest of the squad being a bit shit. Those key players will all be off. I don't think we'll come straight back up.

My thoughts exactly. The absolute cynic in me thinks we’ve assembled a 100m pound team that would struggle to compete in the championship. 

We’ll probably find out soon. 

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

Would be a damning indictment if it was true. I think we’re much better now than we were at the start of the season. Recent form would support that.

Don't let facts get in the way of a good moan mate. 

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

As we currently sit outside the relegation zone how has it "been clear for months" that we are going down?

Dear me..

It’s not clear we’re going down but we’re on a downward trajectory and with the fixtures we have, you’d be hard pressed to find many confident Villa fans. 

We are relying on other teams losing every week. That in itself is massive cause for concern. 

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

First five games of the season we lost three, won one and drew one - conceding six.

Last five games of the season we have lost three, won one and drew one - conceding 13. Even taking away the City spanking, we've conceded more than the first five games.

We've conceded 50 goals (the most in the league). Incapable of beating teams who have less players than us. Errors are more prevalent than ever and we're playing five defenders each game.

May I ask where you think we are "much better"?

Â