Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

well it sounds like you were expecting it which is extremely naive if honest. We havent finished in the top 10 in this league until 2011

You are digressing....."expecting" is not the word, but you have to remain ambitious.

As an example......Liverpool after conquering Europe under Paisley....went through a dark period fir some time, but the fervent ambition and the partisan passion of their fanbase, drove the club on.....nothing is enough for them, thats where drive and determination lands you.....always striving for improvement.

A Team like them, don't get there by chance.....its the constant grind of the drive, that leads to the promised land.

we are a million miles away from them but everything is relative.....we can drive like them in our own little world, being appreciative for what we have so far, is fine....its being grateful or courteous.

but we can't take our foot off the gas.....we should know what we have to do to stay in this league and not pay lip service to it........we have to do it.

we have 13 games left, before we know where we are ,it will be 3.

we cannot afford to keep saying, we will get it right next game.....they have to be up for every game.

Injuries have been cruel.....but we have to get on with it and not feel sorry for ourselves.

Edited by TRO

4 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Just did a quick google, this was his quote.

"Our goal is, that when we arrive in the Premier League, we are ready with a Dean Smith team – players that fit his playing profile and that give us the best possible chance to make a real impact next season – not just making up the numbers. "

So it does seem like he was specifically referring to this season. But tbf, it does seem like he is saying he hopes that Villa aren't just making up the numbers rather than actually expecting it. 

I think a lot of us were optimistic. I certainly thought we'd be a lot better than we are right now, purely from optimism from the fact that we've massively improved our team that went on a 10 game winning run and won promotion. I vastly underestimated the gelling process and the difficulty to integrate an almost entirely new squad from different corners of the earth, most of them quite young. To the board and scouting team's credit, they've tried to mitigate that as much as they could with the signings by signing players who've played together and who have the right character etc. We've seen many glimpses of what this team could be, it hasn't been all bad this season unlike the McLeish and Lambert years where there was no hope but we somehow stayed up in all of them. It's gonna be tight, but if we stay up this season and with some key additions in the summer, this team will go from strength to strength.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I think a lot of us were optimistic. I certainly thought we'd be a lot better than we are right now, purely from optimism from the fact that we've massively improved our team that went on a 10 game winning run and won promotion. I vastly underestimated the gelling process and the difficulty to integrate an almost entirely new squad from different corners of the earth, most of them quite young. To the board and scouting team's credit, they've tried to mitigate that as much as they could with the signings by signing players who've played together and who have the right character etc. We've seen many glimpses of what this team could be, it hasn't been all bad this season unlike the McLeish and Lambert years where there was no hope but we somehow stayed up in all of them. It's gonna be tight, but if we stay up this season and with some key additions in the summer, this team will go from strength to strength.

I do hope this really is the case but part of me remembers that first year under Lamber where we tried going with kids to prepare us for the long term. We survived, but we didn't get better the next seasons. Aston Villa were still basically the Benteke show and we were down as soon as he left. I can't help but feel perhaps a similar story might happen to us with Grealish fulfilling the Benteke role for us.

I also wouldn't say we had no hope under Lambert. There were some good times to be had here and there. I still remember when we beat Liverpool 3-1 or when we beat Man City 3-2.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

On 02/02/2020 at 19:07, Bazmonkey said:

I'm sorry but people need to take the claret and blue glasses off and see the bigger picture.

Apart from a few players...This is a poor team ran by a poor manager.

Although we lost yesterday it's not an over reaction by people to raise their concerns...its been the same all season.

Most shots on goal...most goals conceded....least possession in most games...giving points away points from winning positions....the lack of movement....the lack of quality...the lack of basic football skills.

Without Jack and Heaton...or whoever's is goal this team would be bottom.

I read constantly that we defended well...we dont dont defend well...we retreat and hope.for the best.

Leicester watford Brighton same inept performances but somehow we came away with 3 points and a trip to Wembley.

The constant formation changing...rotating players it's just not good enough.

To say we will be ok if we went down is crazy. Smith got lucky last season with Jack.. tammy...mcginn and mings playing well.

We would lose all three and to think some think smith would be ok....not a chance.

El gazi...poor at championship poor here...hourihane the same...we would be relying on these to get us back up.

The last transfer window..a player in drinkwater who hasnt played in years is going to save us...a random player from Swansea with one goal is going to save us..samatta...possible based on the two games will had something and pep...actually look ok.

I wasnt expecting us to be challenging for the top but what I did expected is for us to at least show on our day we can compete and maybe have a bit of faith every Saturday that actually we might be alright today.

To stay in this league this season is more important than ever...to keep our better players and bot be stuck in the championship for years.

Smith need to.wake up and stop blaming players and look at himself. Pick a team that can play...pick team on more than one occasion. The fact it's taken 25 games and he still doesnt know is a major concern regardless of what league we are in.

I have seen us play well in parts and I've sat their and thought...we look good but something happens and it a goes to rat.

There are 13 games left and everyone is a cup final...to stay in the league...to keep our better players....to build on next year not have to rebuild 

Can we do it...I think we can...will we...no I dont 

As much as it kills me to say, for admitting our shortfalls a Brilliantly concise post.

I am sure we can do it will we do it, for the reasons above, I am unsure.

I think last Saturday, suggested its not confidence.....on the back of a tremendous semi final result and a fighting performance against Watford, how could it be?

I worry its a lack of discipline....why do we have to wait until half time for a rollicking, why are we not up for it, from the first whistle.....its as if from the last training session to match day...the work just evaporates.

I am with you going down is just armageddon.

30 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

This is not a loaded question, i mean it genuinely

How can you be sure, they will gel?

I want them to more than i can explain, and i get no joy in opening my heart up to how I see it......but how can we be reasonably sure its going to change.

Dean will always try to play a style of football that is attractive......until the opposition decide they don't want us to and then the dynamic changes, we don't have enough of the right personnel to reverse that and despite having windows to do that.....we have failed imo ....we still sign physically modest midfielders who get easily out muscled,in too many games, like Saturday.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, useless said:

We're nineth in the form guide for the last seven games, of those seven games we've won three of them and drew with away to Brighton, over the same period we've taken the same number of points as Leicester, Manchester United, and only one less than Spurs and Watford, and only three less than Man City and Southampton. Before beating Norwich in December we'd only won one game in eleven. Our form since after Christmas has improved massively, and despite losing to Bournemouth, over all we're now doing very well. Really hope that Smith at least keeps a cool head and doesn't start making drastic changes because of one bad result.

Well said.

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

This team has certainly not been all bad.....but most of the issues in our play have been with us all season unchecked or unsolved.

as one example amongst many......we have managed to give the ball away cheaply, for some time now.....where is the improvement?....we keep talking about it, the manager does, but where's the action?

our manager has nonchalantly declared samattas goal was the first headed goal all season.....I am genuinely dumb founded how he can be so comfortable declaring that....in view of how many goals we have scored.....talk about an issue to work on, staggering.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, TRO said:

This team has certainly not been all bad.....but most if the issues in our play have been with us all season unchecked or unsolved.

as one example amogst many......we have managed to give the ball away cheaply, for some time now.....where is the improvement?

our manager has nonchalantly declared samattas goal was the first headed goal all season.....I am genuinely dumb founded how he can be so comfortable declaring that....in view of how many goals we have scored.....talk about an issue to work on, staggering.

If the players aren’t good enough, they’re not good enough TRO. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TRO said:

we cannot afford to keep saying, we will get it right next game.....they have to be up for every game.

Injuries have been cruel.....but we have to get on with it and not feel sorry for ourselves.

I agree TRO, but all the other teams are going to be feeling this as well.

They all have better players than us as well which is an issue. We'd probably have about 5 points without Jack this season.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TRO said:

As an example......Liverpool after conquering Europe under Paisley....went through a dark period fir some time, but the fervent ambition and the partisan passion of their fanbase, drove the club on.....nothing is enough for them, thats where drive and determination lands you.....always striving for improvement.

I agree with this, they want everything that's out there right now, it's a mentality that is tough to drill into players, especially in a full team. Somehow we need to get that type of thinking into our lads heads.  Our lads need to see that if we win one week, then you simply carry on and try better that last win, you keep going to build yourself stronger. You never accept the laid back approach especially when at the top with the very best, the moment you take your foot of the gas, that's your ass at stake and every one who has that attitude replaces you and your fighting against those who want your spot at the top. You have to play like football like its the only thing that means anything in the world, that anything but a win is totally unacceptable, the word VICTORY should always be drilled like its religion and life.

If our players don't start thinking like hero's, champion, the best of the best then they will struggle to light this league on fire. such a short time left in terms of games left to play, yet you can clearly see there's so much work still to do. Disappointed that we didn't make a few more signings this window but we move on and have no choice to concentrate on what we have. Pretty confident we will just survive, however we have no choice to book our ideas up now and if we can secure enough victorys early on, then the last so many games will surely lift a heavy weight off our shoulders. If we go into the final games with relegation still a possibility then that kind of weight can kill a team off as much as it can aid them. Our players do not want that type of fight to have, hell i don't want it as it will be brutal, so best they go out there and start beating these teams now, or they may as well start packing there bags for the EFL right now. A reality check maybe needed if we have any more Bournmouth type games.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, The Hawk said:

Ahhh I see, so the most consistent winning streak in our history was “luck” but if things go awry he’s a shocking manager and not “unlucky”

It was down to a Jack masterclass.

Would not have happened without his return

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TRO said:

This team has certainly not been all bad.....but most of the issues in our play have been with us all season unchecked or unsolved.

as one example amongst many......we have managed to give the ball away cheaply, for some time now.....where is the improvement?....we keep talking about it, the manager does, but where's the action?

he did bring in drinkwater for that, our biggest problem is composure, nervous energy, the atmosphere often doesn't help and that worries me if we do get to the last couple of games still fighting

luiz and nakamba seem to be our worst offenders, both IMO have a good player in there they just need confidence and to find their feet, hourihane and Lansbury have games pass them by too often

the defence is a movement in front of them thing, if no one shows they lump it forward, the change to a 5 helps because the wide men offer an out ball

im not sure if lack of movement is purely a villa thing, we've had it for nearly a decade now

13 hours ago, TRO said:

You are digressing....."expecting" is not the word, but you have to remain ambitious.

A Team like them, don't get there by chance.....its the constant grind of the drive, that leads to the promised land.

we are a million miles away from them but everything is relative.....we can drive like them in our own little world, being appreciative for what we have so far, is fine....its being grateful or courteous.

but we can't take our foot off the gas.....we should know what we have to do to stay in this league and not pay lip service to it........we have to do it.

we have 13 games left, before we know where we are ,it will be 3.

I don't recall the dark period for Liverpool. Whilst Paisley was manager, the only time they finished lower than runners up was the year, 80/81,when we were crowned champions. You can't compare their so called dark period to ours. What we've been through was reminiscent of the Heath winter of 74,total blackout. 

16 hours ago, LondonVillian said:

We only have two fit strikers so we are not going to be playing 5-3-2 anytime soon.

We have only three fit centre backs so by that reasoning we won't be playing three centre backs either.

1 minute ago, AV82 said:

Interestingly the highlights from the Bournemouth game don't paint that bad a picture. Can we all calm down?

The first 45 mins painted a very unpleasant picture. We were swept aside and bullied.

• Like 2

Â