Dean Smith

Demitri_C

13 hours ago, TRO said:

The problem is those that come on, or likely to come on, are lightweight....Hourihane, Lansbury, Kodjia, Taylor.

Yep, you look to the bench and typically there is not a lot there. 

This squad is still a work in progress, hopefully January will give us more options on the bench in matches. 

52 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Yep, you look to the bench and typically there is not a lot there. 

This squad is still a work in progress, hopefully January will give us more options on the bench in matches. 

Still better than completely knackered players though.

On 06/12/2019 at 13:12, villalad21 said:

We are worryingly similar to Norwich.

What separates us is Jack. They don't have that kind of talent in their squad.

That's the one hope that keeps me slightly optimistic for survival. But if Jack were to get a long term injury we're in massive trouble.

What separates us is Jack.... and Pukki.

It was interesting watching MOTD.....Its clear to me our main issue is a lack of aggression in most of our games and it was clear some of the teams dipping a bit, found some yesterday.

Spurs, Man U, Everton  all found a better level yesterday.....With Big Dunc in there, no wonder.....Mourinho will also demand a level to raise Spurs.....Man City have lost there's for the moment, despite their possession stats there was no aggression to go with it.

I don't want to be unkind to Dean, but I hope he can find some with us.

If we don't we are heading for big trouble.

• Like 1

When he goes in to the market in Jan, I hope a lot of money is not spent.

We can find what we want in the Loan market.....The players we have need more time and we haven't got it.

We can then plan for the summer to spend.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

It was interesting watching MOTD.....Its clear to me our main issue is a lack of aggression in most of our games and it was clear some of the teams dipping a bit, found some yesterday.

Spurs, Man U, Everton  all found a better level yesterday.....With Big Dunc in there, no wonder.....Mourinho will also demand a level to raise Spurs.....Man City have lost there's for the moment, despite their possession stats there was no aggression to go with it.

I don't want to be unkind to Dean, but I hope he can find some with us.

If we don't we are heading for big trouble.

This the best side we've had in 10 years.

If you're watching established sides and wanting us to be that good you're going to have to wait.

We went to Man Utd two matches ago and outplayed them. Had a goal disallowed and missed chances that would have put us out of sight.

We'll probably lose today because Leicester have much better players.

34 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

This the best side we've had in 10 years.

If you're watching established sides and wanting us to be that good you're going to have to wait.

We went to Man Utd two matches ago and outplayed them. Had a goal disallowed and missed chances that would have put us out of sight.

We'll probably lose today because Leicester have much better players.

With respect, I think you are missing the point.

I am not expecting us to be as good as established sides, but " Good" means many things....yes it shows how far we dropped, we do have the best team in 10 years.

Man U never showed the same level of aggression against us as they did yesterday.....Talent without application is diluted, that is my point.

Everton Found a level of aggression yesterday, that Chelsea failed to match, ably aided by Big Dunc, he will fire anyone up.

Leicester do have much better players, but if we go after them and not stand off them, we have a chance.....Leicester, were incredible at Southampton, but lets be fair here, Southampton, stood off them and waved the white flag.

I thought Sheff Utd, would beat Newcastle, but fair play to bar codes.....They did a job and stifled the blades, not pretty, but effective.

If we play like we did against Chelsea, we will get stuffed today......I am just hoping we find a level of aggression that defies Leicester and makes it extremely difficult for anything they get.

The reason lesser teams beat better technically equipped teams....is because they scrap and fight for every ball....If they can't win the ball in the air, they make sure their opponent doesn't either.

If we had of taken that attitude of your last line to Holland.....We would have lost the Euro Final.....make no mistake, we beat a much better team technically.....problem for them was,they had no answer, with all their talent, to our " never say die " attitude, aggression and will to win.

We can win tomorrow......IF we apply ourselves correctly.

Edited by TRO

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am not expecting us to be as good as established sides, but " Good" means many things....yes it shows how far we dropped, we do have the best team in 10 years.

Man U never showed the same level of aggression against us as they did yesterday.....Talent without application is diluted, that is my point.

Everton Found a level of aggression yesterday, that Chelsea failed to match, ably aided by Big Dunc, he will fire anyone up.

Leicester do have much better players, but if we go after them and not stand off them, we have a chance.....Leicester, were incredible at Southampton, but lets be fair here, Southampton, stood off them and waved the white flag.

I thought Sheff Utd, would beat Newcastle, but fair play to bar codes.....They did a job and stifled the blades, not pretty, but effective.

If we play like we did against Chelsea, we will get stuffed today......I am just hoping we find a level of aggression that defies Leicester and makes it extremely difficult for anything they get.

The reason lesser teams beat better technically equipped teams....is because they scrap and fight for every ball....If they can't win the ball in the air, they make sure their opponent doesn't either.

If we had of taken that attitude of your last line to Holland.....We would have lost the Euro Final.....make no mistake, we beat a much better team technically.....problem for them was,they had no answer, with all their talent, to our " never say die " attitude, aggression and will to win.

Get your skates on son, game kicks off in just over 3 hours!

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

TRO you are our big Dunc. Get yourself down to the dressing room!

Our biggest problem under Smith is we are too passive as @TRO has already said we lack aggression and it was the same problem last season. We stand off far too much allowing teams to come at us, we don’t fight for the ball like other teams do. We almost look complacent at times.

Smith needs to sort this out, but as nothing has changed since he’s been here I can’t see it happening any time soon. This will ultimately be his and our undoing.

Edited by jim
  • Like 1

I agree we are too passive, can't decide if it's a player issue or a tactic issue, possibly a bit of both?

Numerous times I sit there and say "someone go to him!!!", even if they don't tackle them they force them to make a decision or pass, then with each decision and pass the chance of a turnover increases.

It's criminal how many times 2 or 3 players have stood around a player and just let him stand there for 5 or more seconds without even closing down, it's like they don't know who is responsible for going to the player so nobody does. (Watch the Willian highlight where he stood on the right corner of the 18 yard box)

Also versus Chelsea, I think it was pulisic pretty much ran from the half way line to neat our box and players ran alongside him or backed away with literally nobody going in to make him make a decision, criminal play tbh.

If anything, this stand offish, passive play is what will cost us long term, needs to be addressed asap, as we all know, there are such things as intelligent fouls, and we seem to lack that intelligence.

For me it's about tacking or forcing decisions, and decisions can lead to mistakes.

For example, a player runs at you from the half way line, a player goes to tackle, if the tackle is unsuccessful at least it forces the player to make a decision, dribble around or pass, a dribble round could be successful or stopped, or the pass could be successful or not, then it starts again, and the chance of an error increases with each phase.

If you do nothing and just let them run in a straight line at towards your box, the only risk is them falling over the ball pretty much.

However I also agree that pressing needs to be done in groups, it's too easy to bypass a single pressing player, so that's a different level, but all thus should be basic stuff for top level players and managers.

I think overall we have done well so far, BUT, we have been pretty poor at the "dark arts", and we need to wise up quick.

His game management is worrying. No discernible style of play. The team doesn't look well coached. I remember when we conceded 5 at home to Forest and Leeds came back and beat us at Villa Park, my initial thoughts at the time was " wow we are conceding bucket loads under this guy " I think the run we went on papered over things a bit. The new contract means nothing. I don't think these new owners would accept relegation easily.

• Like 1

Failure to win at Sheffield and questions will have to start to be raised. 

There's lots of work to do. At the end of the day I started the season thinking that 17th is the goal and we're on course for that. But I'm genuinely not confident we will stay up and that's because the spine of the team is weak from central defence to centre forward, it's just really weak.

Â