Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

I'd say the game has changed as well, it has changed from how we play that's why we don't win anymore 😂

Seriously though this championship is tough and the likes of our players do not belong here. The Officiating is the worse ive seen for a long time and players know how to abuse it, again our players do not and so they do not belong with rhis league.

Our players need to toughen up, they are officially the pu$$y Patrol until they do man up to the rest of the teams, I'm calling our players out.

Even if they had a red card a piece they mite feel some sense of vengeance against what seems to be lousy officiating and bad players worming there way around the rules.

I  really want to see our little defenders behave like little ankle biting jack russels not some sausage dogs prodding along waiting for the ball to go past.

Dave, like most things, its rarely one, but several.

I think you are quoting the main one...we don't want cards, but discreet street wise physical contact, where the initiative is imposed, letting the opposition know you are there, letting them know, there is no free ride and they have to work for scraps.

We come out like the "Harlem Globe Trotters" straight in to exhibition football....No mean streak.  we need to have it enshrined, hung up in the dressing room." we have to win the right to play football"

Its too obvious for words.

These guys at villatalk hit the nail on the head with the youth.

They talk about all sorts but there is alot about how we at villa need to be more friendly at playing youth. They say alot of clubs there is a pathway which we really need. That if our senior players mess up then the youth comes in and fans are less mad at the youth if they mess up but it's also a way in for them.

I agree with what these two lads say that we have to give our youth more of a chance as sitting in the U23s they are basically rotting and they are. They use Jack Grealish as an example, that he wasn't the lad he is now till he went out on loan. Jack Grealish (as the two from the villa view) say: we should always refer back to jack and see that it's an important to part of a youths life in football (which I agree) that it should be mandatory for a youth to go out on first team experience with another club, they come back much better players than before they left.

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

Dave, like most things, its rarely one, but several.

I think you are quoting the main one...we don't want cards, but discreet street wise physical contact, where the initiative is imposed, letting the opposition know you are there, letting them know, there is no free ride and they have to work for scraps.

We come out like the "Harlem Globe Trotters" straight in to exhibition football....No mean streak.  we need to have it enshrined, hung up in the dressing room." we have to win the right to play football"

Its too obvious for words.

Obviously yes we don't want cards, but damn I just want our players along Smith you to impose there presence. If players fear our players because they are about and because the opposition's thinks were going to play them at there own game, then we will have much easier games than what were getting by playing the nice guys.

Surely our defensive hobbits look at our games and see they invite peril on to them selves. Its that bad that You can every game imagine the opposing team as a pack of goblins on wargs and I fear for our team of hobbits at times. There have been many instances where we could of used the blind spots where the linesman wasn't looking and the referee was blind to it, that we could of got away with much like opposing teams have.

I think we have been ragged all over and you only have to look at how much Grealish has been fouled to see how teams are not scared of us. We are being bullied in the championship and all because we are trying to do things the rite way, I wouldn't mind but it isn't getting us no where to play nice in this league.

I keep referring to our defenders because I as well as many of you just see them back off so much instead of closing down that as soon as that starts we see a goal coming. Our strikers well they are another story, we need one to stand up and be a hero.Tammy is a player that our offensive players should use as a template for bettering themselves, I do not understand any of our strikers who don't seem to want to prove that they are better than Tammy. Our midfielders lose that ball regular, can't make accurate fast passes, we should be relying on our midfielders to keep that ball, they need to step up and become a bully boy themselves.

Yes toughen up or make way for others who will be tougher is one message I would send to our players.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Obviously yes we don't want cards, but damn I just want our players along Smith you to impose there presence. If players fear our players because they are about and because the opposition's thinks were going to play them at there own game, then we will have much easier games than what were getting by playing the nice guys.

Surely our defensive hobbits look at our games and see they invite peril on to them selves. Its that bad that You can every game imagine the opposing team as a pack of goblins on wargs and I fear for our team of hobbits at times. There have been many instances where we could of used the blind spots where the linesman wasn't looking and the referee was blind to it, that we could of got away with much like opposing teams have.

I think we have been ragged all over and you only have to look at how much Grealish has been fouled to see how teams are not scared of us. We are being bullied in the championship and all because we are trying to do things the rite way, I wouldn't mind but it isn't getting us no where to play nice in this league.

I keep referring to our defenders because I as well as many of you just see them back off so much instead of closing down that as soon as that starts we see a goal coming. Our strikers well they are another story, we need one to stand up and be a hero.Tammy is a player that our offensive players should use as a template for bettering themselves, I do not understand any of our strikers who don't seem to want to prove that they are better than Tammy. Our midfielders lose that ball regular, can't make accurate fast passes, we should be relying on our midfielders to keep that ball, they need to step up and become a bully boy themselves.

Yes toughen up or make way for others who will be tougher is one message I would send to our players.

bang on for me Dave.

but we both know its not JUST that either, quite a number of our lot , can't control the ball, can't pass with any accuracy, and can't make slick decisions.

Its a whole host of things....but the one you mention should be a pre-requisite in this league.

4 hours ago, Dave-R said:

These guys at villatalk hit the nail on the head with the youth.

They talk about all sorts but there is alot about how we at villa need to be more friendly at playing youth. They say alot of clubs there is a pathway which we really need. That if our senior players mess up then the youth comes in and fans are less mad at the youth if they mess up but it's also a way in for them.

I agree with what these two lads say that we have to give our youth more of a chance as sitting in the U23s they are basically rotting and they are. They use Jack Grealish as an example, that he wasn't the lad he is now till he went out on loan. Jack Grealish (as the two from the villa view) say: we should always refer back to jack and see that it's an important to part of a youths life in football (which I agree) that it should be mandatory for a youth to go out on first team experience with another club, they come back much better players than before they left.

Even Jack had his doubters, when he came back....He only really clicked after his kidney injury and he was left out.

Steve Bruce got him working one on one and building his strength to cope with heavy handed opponents.....and rest is history.

He came back a much stronger, more prepared player and resisted the going to ground which his undisputed talent brought him....its about fighting back.

They do have to be given a run and we need to find a way to do it....being in a perpetual promotion chase, is not helping...it puts too much pressure on the manager to take risks.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TRO said:

Even Jack had his doubters, when he came back....He only really clicked after his kidney injury and he was left out.

Steve Bruce got him working one on one and building his strength to cope with heavy handed opponents.....and rest is history.

He came back a much stronger, more prepared player and resisted the going to ground which his undisputed talent brought him....its about fighting back.

They do have to be given a run and we need to find a way to do it....being in a perpetual promotion chase, is not helping...it puts too much pressure on the manager to take risks

His best game for us was Liverpool in the semi final . All our young players should be either loaned out or in the first team squad .Look at Chelsea and how they farm players to earn money and develop the team .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hippo said:

Is there any indication he won't be given time ? 

Read what I had quoted. Another poster fearing that fans are already getting on Dean Smith’s back.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

They do have to be given a run and we need to find a way to do it....being in a perpetual promotion chase, is not helping...it puts too much pressure on the manager to take risks.

Yes you really are rite, being in a chase for promotion is putting alot of unnecessary headache on our manager.  We really all would be best lowering our expectations, chilling and playing a slow, sensible and patient game, it will come in the end.

In some way I hope we do not go up, I don't think we have learnt to play as a team, we have to have each player knowing what they are doing instead of looking like a bunch of sheep. One thing our players are doing is just giving that ball away, it's happening because they are feeling the pressure, pressure off our coach, pressure of us fans and most of all pressure off that fact they pretty much know come summertime there is no more Aston villa. for them I think they have realised this is it for them, after VILLA  no one as big as us is going to want them again, I can't see it anyway which means alot of them will fall down a league or worse.

If anything the pressure is the most it's ever been since relegation, it could be more the way it's mounted up. Careers are on the line it's that real and it's make or break for a squad that have been together for such a long time.

I think our players mite find instead of going fast at first build up slow but maintain possession. Cause the headaches to the enemy not let them do it to us. It was always a concern that our old squad of bruce players would never be as fast and fluent as what Smith required, running flat out at what they was doing when they were winning has eventually got to them, it was a massive change to what bruce had them doing. The question is how do they pick back up, unfortunately if it is fatigue then the only answer is to be swapped for a while and then let them recuperate. I would much rather us change to our youth and lose a few all while our seniors regained energy to have them go on a 6 to possibly 10 win streak. There is also the chance that letting our youth be used as chance for seniors to regain much needed energy that even our youth shine faster and even win some, we just won't know till we try.

I myself have relaxed my views on this season I have in my mind said to myself, if Smith wanted to and was prepared to, is used the rest of this season to get our youth up to speed with Smith style. We then next season if we can be ready for next season start will have seniors and youth for a war on the championship and we shouldnt end up being ran this flat on energy from what is a crazy energy siphoning league, we need a big team and a team that can win games.

I think If we play the rest of this season rite and not rush and pressurise Smith, then next season having first teamers and Youth at the ready, we could be very much in contention for the championship title..

12 hours ago, Zatman said:

Maybe but remember people wanted Collins, Dunne, Warnock etc gone. Got the wish and we had Baker, Clark and Bennett at back and beaten by giants like Bradford

Same people then demanded sign experienced players

Youth is cheaper, they are most likely to bring ther hunger into a game and want to prove to everyone that they deserve to be there.

A youth is less likely to be money hungry and walk into the ground thinking did I put the alarm on my 40 grand car lol..

Sure experience is great if you can get experience without greedy nature, but as sad as it sound is it's looking like our guys are full of the greedy nature. It doesn't look like they're hungry to win, does not look like we have players with that drive many other players in this championship have.

If I'm wrong on any of that then I urge each and everyone of them to go and take it to each team in this league. If they did prove me and many others who are thinking it wrong, I would gladly take my hat off and say you proved us fans you could do it..

Edited by Dave-R

9 hours ago, TRO said:

I think we have a different interpretation of tactics.....not sure where you get that from?

It strikes me that those quotes are relating to application as opposed to tactics....but hey ho....we will just have to disagree. maybe we are on the same  book but the wrong page, maybe I interpret tactics slightly different to you.

Gareth Southgate's take on it :

To reinforce their position as the boss, managers often waffle on about formations and tactics.

This often results in total confusion. Players get preoccupied with carrying out instructions, rather than trusting their instincts and taking the initiative.

Of course, tactics have their place in the game, but as manager it's important you don't indulge yourself.

Bamboozling the players with textbook talk is a common mistake, says former Middlesbrough boss, Gareth Southgate.

Whether you're using words, body language or a tactics boards, you've got to get your point across clearly and concisely.

Well lets be specific then :

the Vic Buckingham quote talk about retaining possession, which is a tactic

the Johan Cruyff quote talks about high tempo and pressing, both of which are tactics

Rinus Michels talks about not being too nice, which i interpret as having a mean streak and being overly physical - also a tactic

the Pep quote on the face of it talks about working hard, which granted isnt a tactic.  But when you look at the context of the interview that line is taken from he is also referring to pressing hard to force your opponent into errors, which is a tactic.

the southgate quote is all well and good when you work with a squad of highly intelligent players, but its rare, in any squad, including man city and liverpool, that you can have 11 players on the pitch you can rely to play by instinct. 

Englands performances havent impressed me one bit, and i think theyve been incredibly fortunate to achieve what they have.

The defensive errors throughout the world cup highlight that he practices what he preaches letting a fullback play cb on instinct and those instincts letting the side down 

perhaps had he given the defence more instruction those errors would not have occurred?

Sufficed to say i dont classify Southgate as an example of a currently very successful manager.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

Well lets be specific then :

the Vic Buckingham quote talk about retaining possession, which is a tactic

the Johan Cruyff quote talks about high tempo and pressing, both of which are tactics

Rinus Michels talks about not being too nice, which i interpret as having a mean streak and being overly physical - also a tactic

the Pep quote on the face of it talks about working hard, which granted isnt a tactic.  But when you look at the context of the interview that line is taken from he is also referring to pressing hard to force your opponent into errors, which is a tactic.

the southgate quote is all well and good when you work with a squad of highly intelligent players, but its rare, in any squad, including man city and liverpool, that you can have 11 players on the pitch you can rely to play by instinct. 

Englands performances havent impressed me one bit, and i think theyve been incredibly fortunate to achieve what they have.

The defensive errors throughout the world cup highlight that he practices what he preaches letting a fullback play cb on instinct and those instincts letting the side down 

perhaps had he given the defence more instruction those errors would not have occurred?

Sufficed to say i dont classify Southgate as an example of a currently very successful manager.

I beg to differ on all those references....

so Gareth's opinion is worthless.....and he doesn't meet your standards, so he doesn't understand tactics....ok

Definition of tactics 

1athe science and art of disposing and maneuvering forces in combat

bthe art or skill of employing available means to accomplish an end

Like I say, we have different views on what is tactics...so subsequently we mean different things, fine.

• Pressing in itself is not "a science or art of disposing and Maneuvering players"......its an action, deploying the players to the action is the tactic. what they do when they get there is take action ( the pressing)
  • retaining possession is not a tactic....its an action/skill/technique that a player uses to retain the ball.
  • High tempo is not a tactic....its a means by which players speed up their work and actions....its the pace at which they play.
  • being physical or mean is again not a tactic....its an application.

I think you have a misconception of what tactics is....Tactics is what it says above the art of deploying resource to where its needed most at any given time.

maybe that is why so many managers don't over play  it, because there are other more pressing issues in their mind ( pardon the pun)

I am not saying its unimportant by the way....but we all need to know what we mean.

Edited by TRO

I like Smith and want him to do well because this is his biggest chance in the game so far and, of course, he's one of us. But, with the way the game is these days, it wouldn't surprise me to see someone like Brendan Rodgers in charge before next season starts. 

That's not me saying Deano isn't good enough or shouldn't be given time etc. Thats me saying that if we don't finish in the top half of the league and produce further results and performances like the Swansea and Wigan games, I could envisage the new owners/board parting company and going for someone more proven at a big club. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Killeen30 said:

Read what I had quoted. Another poster fearing that fans are already getting on Dean Smith’s back.

What I mean't was is there indication he won't be given time as  Aston Villa manager  ? (IE by those at the club cutting short his contract) 

Too me that we will be judged by how many games he wins - not what I or one two others post on here  - so to me Smith will get time until those at the top of the club decide the results are unacceptable.  I would be staggered if he was anywhere near being shown the exit door at the moment - ergo he will get time. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â