Christian Purslow

villan-scott

36 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

I genuinely believe it was Gerrard and Purslows ambition to both be back at Liverpool this season. There's no other rationale for short term signings such as Dendonker, Carlos, even Digne.

They knew FFP was coming, they knew these players on high wages would have no resale. They knew this summer is when FFP would bite really hard (Grealish money off the books), coincidentally the summer Klopp leaves Liverpool and they get a new sporting director in. 

No mention of the worst signing of all - Coutinho 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Spending all we did in 2022 was poor though. That was a relic of the Lerner era and would've cost us hugely if we hadn't made top 4 with who we've had to sell after achieving it.

Was so obvious at the time as well

Lucliky Sawiris stepped in when he did

53 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

Purslow made some mistakes but we are in a much healthier position now, than when he first arrived. Did some amazing work for us, minus one terrible gamble/mistake. Comparing us pre and post Purslow, I find it weird having grudges against him, 

That’s like saying Southgate is a good manager because he’s done better than most of his predecessors for England. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

That’s like saying Southgate is a good manager because he’s done better than most of his predecessors for England. 

But it's just not though is it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pas5898 said:

I genuinely believe it was Gerrard and Purslows ambition to both be back at Liverpool this season. There's no other rationale for short term signings such as Dendonker, Carlos, even Digne.

They knew FFP was coming, they knew these players on high wages would have no resale. They knew this summer is when FFP would bite really hard (Grealish money off the books), coincidentally the summer Klopp leaves Liverpool and they get a new sporting director in. 

They both just wanted to win a trophy so they could have their photo opportunity and ego boost and job prospects.

**** the club and it's future.

Pair of dirt bags. Saw right through him. Keith Wyness in better fitting suits.

• Thanks 1

On 30/08/2024 at 23:46, Zatman said:

Absolutely no thanks to Purslow, the man gets off scot free from nearly ruining us. We had to sell Diaby and Luiz because this idiot wanted his hero in charge who signed Coutinho, Dendoncker, Olsen, Digne and Carlos who are unsellable

Unai has saved this donkeys reputation

He didn't nearly ruin us at all.

After he left, we spent over £100m on new players.  If we were so close to the wall, we wouldn't have done this... OR the new lot are financially incompetent too?

Both the Diaby purchase and sale were after Purslow.  We didn't need to spend £50m or whatever on him, but we did.  Sure, though, Purslows' fault.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Again, people blaming Purslow for us having to sell Luiz happily ignoring any involvement he would have had in bringing him into the club for the relatively low amount in the first place AND signing a contract extension so he didn’t leave for nothing like he could have done.

It was probably someone else who did all that good stuff and Purslow was in another room, burning a pile of cash while singing “Ferry Cross the Mersey”.

yep. standard VT narrative. ignore the good, and focusing on the bad, grumbling "gerrard" under their breath

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

yep. standard VT narrative. ignore the good, and focusing on the bad, grumbling "gerrard" under their breath

Yep. 

As much as we are suffering for having to sell Luiz or for having the likes of Dendoncker on the books, we’re presumably still benefiting from having a world class keeper for less than 20m or Kamara for nothing.

You wouldn’t think it though.

42 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Whoah there is a hell of a lot of revisionism going on here. Can we just remember what an utter shitshow Villa was before Purslow came in with Wyness, Faulkener, Fox etc?  He came in and sorted a lot of stuff out and made us far more professional.  

Randy Lerner when he took over from Doug did similar and was despised when left

He initailly did well and it went to complete shit in summer 2021 and he never recovered as we stumbled from bad decision to bad decision. Castore rubbish was on him too

38 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He initailly did well and it went to complete shit in summer 2021 and he never recovered as we stumbled from bad decision to bad decision. Castore rubbish was on him too

I think the Lerner situation is quite different. Lerner invested heavily in the first years without foresight or long-term planning, similar to what Purslow did with Gerrard and their signings. However, for the final five or six years, Lerner ended up selling our assets. Purslow had one poor year, while Lerner had multiple poor years that ultimately led to relegation (he even sold us to Xia, which nearly bankrupted us). Purslow's one poor year might have cost us a 10-point deduction or the need to sell Luiz, but it's hardly comparable. We are in the best state we have been in for yearsr and years, Purslow was a part of that progression

Edited by Chicken Field
  • Like 2

On 21/05/2024 at 12:35, Zatman said:

And Coutinho who we need to probably pay off and Castore made us and especially our womens team an embarrassment 

On 21/05/2024 at 16:30, Mark Albrighton said:

As for the shirts, apologies for bringing you in here @NurembergVillan, but I believe I have either read or seen you say that that failure wouldn’t really fall on the CEO. 

On 22/05/2024 at 12:05, NurembergVillan said:

Nobody at the club should be on the hook for that fiasco.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Castore rubbish was on him too

giphy.gif?cid=9b38fe9136h0bllidumyoozluk

4 hours ago, Chicken Field said:

I think the Lerner situation is quite different. Lerner invested heavily in the first years without foresight or long-term planning, similar to what Purslow did with Gerrard and their signings. However, for the final five or six years, Lerner ended up selling our assets. Purslow had one poor year, while Lerner had multiple poor years that ultimately led to relegation (he even sold us to Xia, which nearly bankrupted us). Purslow's one poor year might have cost us a 10-point deduction or the need to sell Luiz, but it's hardly comparable. We are in the best state we have been in for yearsr and years, Purslow was a part of that progression

Lerner is completly different to Purslow. He was the owner and rarely had anything day to day with the club, and post 2010 hardly ever visited the club. You should compare Purslow to Faulkener who was employed because he was friends with Lerner and seemed out of his depth from day one, and basically was in charge  of managed decline.

5 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Lerner is completly different to Purslow. He was the owner and rarely had anything day to day with the club, and post 2010 hardly ever visited the club. You should compare Purslow to Faulkener who was employed because he was friends with Lerner and seemed out of his depth from day one, and basically was in charge  of managed decline.

Was he out of his depth? Lerner cut the budget and still stayed up somehow. Not sure he ever actually made an appointment or wanted to sign a faded out star like Coutinho

Purslow hero was taking us down, the job Unai has done to clean up Purslow and his hero's mess is incredible. Its the type of story you see in a movie like Rocky

17 hours ago, Zatman said:

Holding Purslow personally responsible for sweaty shirts is a whole new level. 

You're reaching uncharted territory Zatman, take a compass. 

• Like 2

I really don’t think Purslow bought Gerrard in because they were at Liverpool together, at the time Gerrard was being sounded out for a few premier league jobs, essentially he was considered hot property at the time, flavour of the week. 

Purslow I believe signed Gerrard because he believed he could coach and also had a brand name that would elevate our appeal in signing players, see Kamara as a case in point. 

Other than Gerrard not being a good appointment Purslow did well in general. 

My only grumble was sacking Smith, but maybe that was the same call other clubs would’ve made too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

I really don’t think Purslow bought Gerrard in because they were at Liverpool together, at the time Gerrard was being sounded out for a few premier league jobs, essentially he was considered hot property at the time, flavour of the week. 

Purslow I believe signed Gerrard because he believed he could coach and also had a brand name that would elevate our appeal in signing players, see Kamara as a case in point. 

Other than Gerrard not being a good appointment Purslow did well in general. 

My only grumble was sacking Smith, but maybe that was the same call other clubs would’ve made too. 

If the remit was "best young English manager" then Gerrard actually makes sense 

The problem is there are no good English managers so it should never have been the remit (or should say "were" Gary oneil has proved ok but he had only just started at Bournemouth then)

I was gutted we sacked smith but the tide had turned 

The castore stuff was just chasing money, you can't hold that against him, we sold ourselves to the highest bidder, it's what football is

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â