Christian Purslow

villan-scott

An interview with Rigby is never easy. But that was ' easier" .  In the political sphere she knows just as much as the person she is interviewing . Not in the football sphere. 

But Purslow was really decent wasnt he.  Came across well. And is fascinating to listen to when he isnt gushing over Steven. 

A proper CEO and one of very few that would have agreed to be interviewed by her. 

If anyone thinks that he isnt good enough for Villa then they should give their head a wobble

• Like 4

A very interesting interview with Beth Rigby indeed.

I couldn't help but notice he looked a little uncomfortable at times when it came down to some serious questioning though.

I agree on a few of the points he was making regards to how the likes of Chelsea (formerly) and Man City (lately) have spent stupid amounts of money to get the success they have, and now Newcastle also are the next lot who are trying to get in on the act attempting to do the same *cough* sport washing.

I think he knows his way round that side of the game well and I cannot argue with that.

On an Aston Villa perspective however, I'm not sure our recent rise and success that we have witnessed over the last few seasons as a club come solely down to him as some might think. Nor I do buy into that he is behind everything progressive that has and is happening to Villa.

During the Ellis Years, we changed the club badge, built the new Holte End, built the new Trinity Road stand.

The Lerner years, we looked into improvements at Villa Park and were planning to upgrade the North Stand, They changed the club badge whilst also revamping the Holte Hotel.

I know that some on here love Purslow and he comes across as a likeable guy I agree, others people a little more sceptical.

I fail to see how it is down to Purslow that Villa fans state were a big club? We've always been a big club long before Christian walked through the door.

Any decent CEO worth their salt could have done what we have witnessed of late, Okay, he might be decent CEO for a club on the rise like we have came from, he talks Villa up whenever he gets a chance of a soundbite and so he should, but let's not kid ourselves though, there are much better footballing CEO's out there too working at a much higher level and at much bigger clubs - but none of them would mean anything though without the owners that we have now to make it all happen - regardless who the CEO is.

Just my two cents on things.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

An interview with Rigby is never easy. But that was ' easier" .  In the political sphere she knows just as much as the person she is interviewing . Not in the football sphere. 

Yes she said as much towards the end didn’t she, that she learnt a lot. So basically she wasn’t in a position to challenge anything he said, not that it necessarily needed it.

She asked him the fair question re whether he would be so objectionable to the super league had he been at one of the clubs proposing it and he actually sounded pretty convincing when he said he still would have been against it. Then moved on quick.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

She asked him the fair question re whether he would be so objectionable to the super league had he been at one of the clubs proposing it and he actually sounded pretty convincing when he said he still would have been against it. Then moved on quick.

He could hardly say anything else really. 

13 hours ago, tomav84 said:

so do we like him again? can't keep up!

I'm afraid he's too posh so some will do nothing but hate him regardless of anything he does now.

7 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Despicable character pricing out loyal supporters, OAPs, students and young families from Villa Park on the sly.

Investigate that you tool.

Yeah, he should instead get himself sacked for not meeting the budgets set by our smelling of roses owners.

15 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Sure there's more examples... How can you say he's not progressive? We're making huge strides off the pitch

And that is down entirely to the appointment of an elite manager. His appointment has taken us forward more in a few months than we’ve seen in years. 

Under NSWE we’ve appointed 3 managers. The first was Dean and I’d put that down to Purslow. That was a very good decision, the new owners were just through the door and settling themselves  in. As good an appointment as that was, it was a pretty obvious one for where we were then. It was hardly at the level of Southampton finding Pochettino. 

Next comes Stevie G. The intention there I believe was to raise the profile of the club and in that respect it worked. The problem was fairly obvious, he wasn’t a very good manager. We didn’t carry out the correct due diligence for such an important decision. That one, while largely stated to be a collective board decision, is surely down to Purslow. Certainly he was the driver and his continued support probably kept him in his job longer than was necessary. I think after early investment on last summers window NSWE decided that they needed to keep their powder dry and not let too much money be wasted on an, let’s be kind, inexperienced manager. 

Then came Unai and the world changed. That one is certainty down to Nas.

Ok we can call it one bad decision compounded by keeping him too long. However an equally expensive decision was to make the Coutinho signing permanent. The loan signing, I thought, was brilliant. A brilliant player who’d lost his way, on loan before we committed anything long term. However by the summer it was pretty clear than he hadn’t recaptured the “magic”. But SG pushed for it and Purslow interrupted the end of season awards to triumphantly announce the permanent signing. 

Maybe he does the football administration side well but he’s cost his bosses a whole heap of money and time with his football decisions. As others have said, there are better football CEOs out there. I don’t know who they are, but NSWE are no longer football novices and I’m pretty sure Unai has come across a few in his time. 

PS. I’ve just reread your original post and saw that you said off the pitch not on it! So that’s less down to Unai, so far anyway. My point still stands though, that the appointment of an elite manager is vital. 

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

Absolutely zero need for him to be making himself visible. And interesting he’s waited a while to put his head in the limelight again. 

The best football administrators are those that no one ever hears of and do their job very well in the shadows. He’d be well advised to keep his head down, leave the football side to Emery and to keep on growing the revenue.

Really?  I think our club's best administrator was William McGregor and he's also probably our most famous.  Certainly football and Aston Villa wouldn't be the same without him challenging the status quo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, allani said:

Really?  I think our club's best administrator was William McGregor and he's also probably our most famous.  Certainly football and Aston Villa wouldn't be the same without him challenging the status quo.

2nd most famous after the one who was knighted and then invented the bicycle kick in his spare time 😉

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

2nd most famous after the one who was knighted and then invented the bicycle kick in his spare time 😉

Yeah and actually that gives @DakotaVilla's point about preferring invisible administrators a lot of credence!!  The bubble of my argument has not been fully burst but it definitely feels like it might have a slow puncture!  😉😂

1 minute ago, allani said:

Yeah and actually that gives @DakotaVilla's point about preferring invisible administrators a lot of credence!!  The bubble of my argument has not been fully burst but it definitely feels like it might have a slow puncture!  😉😂

Although I am pretty sure that our current CEO will not be looking to rename the new North Stand the Christian Purslow Stand.

Edited by allani

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

And “hay Graham, look at that lad on the Trinidad beach, he looks a player, get him over for a trial’ 

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

A very interesting interview with Beth Rigby indeed.

I couldn't help but notice he looked a little uncomfortable at times when it came down to some serious questioning though.

I agree on a few of the points he was making regards to how the likes of Chelsea (formerly) and Man City (lately) have spent stupid amounts of money to get the success they have, and now Newcastle also are the next lot who are trying to get in on the act attempting to do the same *cough* sport washing.

I think he knows his way round that side of the game well and I cannot argue with that.

On an Aston Villa perspective however, I'm not sure our recent rise and success that we have witnessed over the last few seasons as a club come solely down to him as some might think. Nor I do buy into that he is behind everything progressive that has and is happening to Villa.

During the Ellis Years, we changed the club badge, built the new Holte End, built the new Trinity Road stand.

The Lerner years, we looked into improvements at Villa Park and were planning to upgrade the North Stand, They changed the club badge whilst also revamping the Holte Hotel.

I know that some on here love Purslow and he comes across as a likeable guy I agree, others people a little more sceptical.

I fail to see how it is down to Purslow that Villa fans state were a big club? We've always been a big club long before Christian walked through the door.

I've not seen any fans say Villa are a big club because of Christian Purslow. That's nonsensical. 

Not sure if this is covered by the sky interview. 

Steven Gerrard and the Liverpool torment behind his Aston Villa sacking after former Rangers boss left CEO no choice

The former midfielder is currently out of the dugout after getting sacked earlier this season.

BY BEN BANKS

21:35, 27 APR 2023

Steven Gerrard during a charity match between Liverpool Legends and Celtic Legends

Steven Gerrard during a charity match between Liverpool Legends and Celtic Legends(Image: SNS Group)

Steven Gerrard's sacking at Aston Villa was made harder for CEO Christian Purslow due to their connection at Liverpool.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/steven-gerrard-liverpool-torment-behind-29833374

1 hour ago, Don_Simon said:

I've not seen any fans say Villa are a big club because of Christian Purslow. That's nonsensical. 

Oh.

what I like about purslow is villa fans say we're a big club

Maybe read the thread properly.

It's what my nonsensical comment was based on.   ;)

Edited by AvfcRigo82

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Oh.

Maybe read the thread properly.

It's what my nonsical comment was based on.   ;)

The second of your quotes, "what I like about purslow is villa fans say we're a big club" doesn't make sense, so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be basing anything on. 

• Like 1

Â