Christian Purslow

villan-scott

21 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Will Purslow be in a rush to sack Gerrard?

I don't think so..

Ultimately the decision to sack Gerrard will be out of Purslow's hands.  If SG doesn't start winning matches the pressure to sack him becomes too great. The fans will turn and Gerrard's position becomes untenable. Purslow will have no choice. 

Like many, I've always had a bit of an issue with Purslow. Simply put, I don't trust him and I think he puts too much faith in his own judgement and his own football knowledge.

He is a fantastic businessman and really good at the commercial side (as he showed at Chelsea). But I wish he would keep out of things like managerial decisions altogether - his track record is pretty dismal.

• Like 2

Sacking Gerrard in less than a year will look very bad on Purslow so I think he will stick it out with him for a while. 

Ultimately his ego is too big to let "his man" go this early. 

12 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Innuendo 😜

I can’t confirm it as fact obviously, but it’s what I would be doing and what I’d expect every CEO in every large business to be doing - having contingency plans for every major event. 

Even if I hired Poch, I’d still be getting reports in of all other managers globally with weekly updates going into the managers database with all sorts of factors including availability.

It’s just common sense. 

Common sense and premier league football don't really go together.

9 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Sacking Gerrard in less than a year will look very bad on Purslow so I think he will stick it out with him for a while. 

Purslow might do the hiring and firing, but the decision will likely come from NSWE.

They'll not be happy their investments are not getting results on the pitch, and Purslow will be under serious pressure.

16 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

If he doesn’t it will look much worse. Unless Gerrard change the whole thing and put some performances and results.

45 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Ultimately the decision to sack Gerrard will be out of Purslow's hands.  If SG doesn't start winning matches the pressure to sack him becomes too great. The fans will turn and Gerrard's position becomes untenable. Purslow will have no choice. 

The media used to say about Ellis that he would support any manager taking abuse as it took the eyes off him. Was when the pressure went against him he would sack the manager

37 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Purslow might do the hiring and firing, but the decision will likely come from NSWE.

They'll not be happy their investments are not getting results on the pitch, and Purslow will be under serious pressure.

Correct.

49 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

He himself answers to those above .

4 hours ago, Pinebro said:

There's a lot.of supposition here. Doesn't Purslow own part of the club too?

He's a ruthless business man, so is  ultimately likely to want to protect his, and his bosses' investments, over Gerard's career as a manager.

2 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

So you have to sack the CEO every time there’s an unsuccessful managerial appointment?

no but this has been a disastrous one which has always reeked of nepotism, ripped up what we have been building and is sending us back a few seasons in progress

I think is walking a very tight rope as well

Don't think Purslow is daft enough to be using the club to do his mates a solid. If Gerrard isn't performing, he'll be summarily sacked. Dean Smith got the boot after a similarly poor run, and he had the good will of 3 good years before that.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Don't think Purslow is daft enough to be using the club to do his mates a solid. If Gerrard isn't performing, he'll be summarily sacked. Dean Smith got the boot after a similarly poor run, and he had the good will of 3 good years before that.

I wonder if a lot of the venom on display here is explained by the desire for vengeance over that? Just musing..,

2 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I wonder if a lot of the venom on display here is explained by the desire for vengeance over that? Just musing..,

I would guess it has less to do with that and more to do with the poor performances being served up by Purslow's man, and how he went all in on the gamble of his appointment, going as far as to modify our transfer policy to suit him.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I don’t think that is enough to explain the level of vitriol. This site has become one massive vengeance orgy related to the sacking of the last manager.

Don't think you'll find too many people who don't agree Smith should have been sacked when he was. Of course you'll probably find 1 or 2 people, but the majority of people seem to be angry about the subsequent appointment and the poor performance thereafter. If things were going great, Smith would be old news. 

It's a unique scenario where Purslow very decisively went and got an inexperienced manager he knew well. I don't think we'd have ended up with Gerrard if it weren't for Purslow. Given that it has predictably played out so that Gerrard is struggling at PL level, it feels like we wasted 9 months. I can understand why Purslow is copping some flak. This is mostly on him.

• Like 1

Â