Christian Purslow

villan-scott

1 hour ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Stunned we havent heard from him yet

He is probably still crying that his bestie was sacked. Can't fault him for the business side of things, but he should stay out of footballing decisions, his heart ruled his head on the Gerrard appointment. 

21 minutes ago, calcifer said:

He is probably still crying that his bestie was sacked. Can't fault him for the business side of things, but he should stay out of footballing decisions, his heart ruled his head on the Gerrard appointment. 

Did it? How do you know this? 

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Did it? How do you know this? 

Purslow has been pretty close with Gerrard. from his Liverpool days, he adored the bloke. He was definitely not thinking with his head when he gave him the job, we all could see it would be a disaster. But Purslow wanted an opportunity to work with Gerrard again. 

Cant fault his for what he does, but needs to be told to keep his nose out of footballing matters, leave it to the pros (the owners pulled this one out the hat!) Purslow would have probably got Roy out of retirement..

6 minutes ago, calcifer said:

Purslow has been pretty close with Gerrard. from his Liverpool days, he adored the bloke. He was definitely not thinking with his head when he gave him the job, we all could see it would be a disaster. But Purslow wanted an opportunity to work with Gerrard again. 

Cant fault his for what he does, but needs to be told to keep his nose out of footballing matters, leave it to the pros (the owners pulled this one out the hat!) Purslow would have probably got Roy out of retirement..

I feel like a stuck record but nobody knows this. 

It's all just conjecture. 

But I'm tired of arguing the point now so I'll just leave it here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Yep. You’re fighting a losing battle because no one will listen to you. The idea is already glued into peoples minds.

1 hour ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Yep. You’re fighting a losing battle because no one will listen to you. The idea is already glued into peoples minds.

It's my belief that SG was headhunted for the villa job on this basis:

1) Relationship and admiration for SG whilst at liverpool

2) reputation as a player

3) a name

4) managerial ability

I'm also of the belief that CP helped give SG an audition for the liverpool job.

Conjecture and no hard evidence, just what i think

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Don't, because you are spot on. Problem is it's much easier for people to latch on to the speculative bollox that feeds their emotions rather than trying to stick to logic and what we actually know. You're fighting the good fight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, daft said:

Don't, because you are spot on. Problem is it's much easier for people to latch on to the speculative bollox that feeds their emotions rather than trying to stick to logic and what we actually know. You're fighting the good fight.

Whats speculative? This is not some urban legend, it's well known Purslow adored him at Liverpool. Also well known he dabbled in signings

Neil Lennon won a few sectarian titles and only team that wanted him in England was broke Bolton. Nothing on Gerrard entire CV said he was the only candidate we could get except his Purslow connections

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Whats speculative? This is not some urban legend, it's well known Purslow adored him at Liverpool. Also well known he dabbled in signings

Neil Lennon won a few sectarian titles and only team that wanted him in England was broke Bolton. Nothing on Gerrard entire CV said he was the only candidate we could get except his Purslow connections

Well known how? 

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Just now, sidcow said:

Well known how? 

Actually don't bother. I'll tell you. 

It's because Liverpool fans said so on the Internet. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

We'll all see in a year or two where Purslow is. Still at Villa, at home admiring his panini stickers or locked up somewhere.

You know there is only 1 Panini Sticker he will be staring at, rubbing it in his special place. Whimpering softly. 

According to some 

42 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Actually don't bother. I'll tell you. 

It's because Liverpool fans said so on the Internet. 

Here's how Purslow saw it at the time of the appointment

[When they were at Liverpool together] “...That was 10-12 years ago. The personal qualities I saw in him then, no doubt about it, even 12 years later those are central to the person he is,” Purslow said. “Drive, determination, hunger, ultra-professional.

“He just wants to be the best he can possibly be and he gives off that message to everyone around him, which raises standards.

“Yes, it’s helpful to have seen the younger man, football captain version, but that doesn’t get you a job as manager of Aston Villa.

“It’s helpful at the margin, but it doesn’t even get you an interview.”

Gerrard’s decision to leave his role as Liverpool’s Under-18s coach for the Ibrox hot-seat had also impressed Villa owners Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens.

“That shows the person we all know, backing himself, absolutely fearless – that’s one of our core values – and the fact he subsequently delivered a title and regular success in Europe,” Purslow added.

“They are the gravy, but the personal qualities to take that job on really attracted Nassef and Wes, myself and (sporting director) Johan Lange.

“As Johan said earlier, Steven’s performances at interview were outstanding. He was the unanimous choice following that interview process.”

But here's what Liverpool Reporters say

...Christian Purslow, the chief executive, has been in thrall to the outgoing Rangers manager for more than a decade.

Purslow’s first involvement in football came when he was made managing director at Liverpool 12 years ago when the club was owned by George Gillett and Tom Hicks. Gerrard was captain and a Kop icon. Anfield was in turmoil and the former private equity trader made it his mission to become close to the brilliant midfielder.

It quickly became a joke among the players how quickly Purslow would engage Gerrard in conversation after entering the dressing room. He was a boyhood fan and seemed star-struck. Purslow relished being in the company of club legends and made particular efforts to cosy up to Kenny Dalglish and Gerrard.

Many of the squad were amused by his antics. In the tunnel before the 2-0 defeat away to Fiorentina in the Champions League group stage, a member of the team said that Purslow patted the man from Huyton on the backside and said, “Go’ed Stevie, la.” The excursion into mock Scouse by the Cambridge and Harvard-educated southerner was the cause of much hilarity...

So take your pick.

• Thanks 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â