Christian Purslow

villan-scott

When he was at Liverpool a lot of people were saying harsh things about CP, like ”he only wants to play Football Manager IRL”. 

Meeting NSWE and coming to Villa was perfect for him, here he could have it all. Money to burn and no-one to hold him back.

Managers are one thing but the most telling for me is the fact he appointed two different sporting directors, who turned out to be mostly useless and invisible.

My guess is that’s because Purslow preferred it that way - if Villa had a powerful director of football, would CP have been invited to travel with Gerrard to Marseille or Rome to look at players? No, he would have been stuck at the office like the banker he is.

Suso and Lange were powerless and therefore perfect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

I think we’re already there or thereabouts as per him saying one in, one out from now on.

One CEO out, new one in. He’s an old fashioned businessman that tries to fix things with money. Nothing innovative or progressive about him at all.

He’s been treating our club like his own personal plaything, vanity project and everything. I don’t want this self aggrandising idiot appointing architects or contractors for the new North Stand. We can’t sack a stadium like a manager. He’ll probably call it The Stevie G Stand. His mate is gone he needs to get out of our club too, NOW!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

When he was at Liverpool a lot of people were saying harsh things about CP, like ”he only wants to play Football Manager IRL”. 

Meeting NSWE and coming to Villa was perfect for him, here he could have it all. Money to burn and no-one to hold him back.

Managers are one thing but the most telling for me is the fact he appointed two different sporting directors, who turned out to be mostly useless and invisible.

My guess is that’s because Purslow preferred it that way - if Villa had a powerful director of football, would CP have been invited to travel with Gerrard to Marseille or Rome to look at players? No, he would have been stuck at the office like the banker he is.

Suso and Lange were powerless and therefore perfect.

100% this. Another vulture at Villa Park that sniffed out the money. A smoother version of  Fat Keith but much more dangerous. Hopefully NSWE have got his measure. 

Billionaires like NSWE aren't stupid, we are only seeing the recruitment side being a bit of a shambles, we don't really see what else he does. I'm sure he has been called into the board room for a chat and a told things need to improve. What I have witnessed with the NSWE is they don't **** about if things aren't going in the right direction, an if Purslow don't improve the situation I'm sure he'll be gone too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

One CEO out, new one in. He’s an old fashioned businessman that tries to fix things with money. Nothing innovative or progressive about him at all.

I tend to agree with this. He served his purpose of getting us on a solid footing, but the footballing strategy is woeful. There is no consistency in terms of manager or player recruitment. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Made In Aston said:

I tend to agree with this. He served his purpose of getting us on a solid footing, but the footballing strategy is woeful. There is no consistency in terms of manager or player recruitment. 

I'm not sure where the issue with player recruitment is coming from, apart from Benderek, Dendonker, which were only cheapies anyway, the rest we were raving about. Admitted it looks like a few have not worked out, but this was under Gerrard, a new manager should do far better with what we have got, shit me he might even make a few even better, something Gerrard has clearly struggled with.

17 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’d like someone like Steve Parrish here. Purslow has failed. 

Find out who's been in charge of Palace's signings well and bring them along.

They've done nothing magical, just bought players everyone on here said we should buy :lol:

Eze, Olise, Andersen, Eduoard. Under £80m. Or Bailey, Ings and Digne for similar.

It's very easy to buy good players. Very easy to not buy shit players. Don't begin to think football is complicated.

31 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I'm not sure where the issue with player recruitment is coming from, apart from Benderek, Dendonker, which were only cheapies anyway, the rest we were raving about. Admitted it looks like a few have not worked out, but this was under Gerrard, a new manager should do far better with what we have got, shit me he might even make a few even better, something Gerrard has clearly struggled with.

Individually, the players brought in are OK. Unfortunately they weren't purchased with a specific system or style of play in mind. The 'Grealish 3' Coutinho, Sanson and Dendonker (as you mentioned) certainly fall within this category. The end result is a random collection of players who aren't able to perform as a cohesive unit. That's on Purslow and Lange as the are responsible for the recruitment strategy. 

Edited by Made In Aston

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I just shake my head at some of our recruitment choices. 

Think of the money we've wasted, especially with the Gerrard vanity project. 

We mock Everton being badly run for about 5 years but we are probably behind them as poorly run.

Hiring his mate, ripping up the transfer policy to sign Ings, Digne, Coutinho and undermining the director of football is farcical. Lange apparently wanted Sarr and assume he didnt want Traore to go as its a huge gap in the squad so I am giving him some benefit of the doubt that he sees the same mess as us

• Like 2

Don't agree with any of this sorry. He's made a mistake, trusting his emotions over hardcore business, signing Gerrard. He would have had a kick in the butt and the owners will now expect better including signing a top manager who's gonna take us forward. Although I do think this might be Purslows last throw of the dice, it's not the doom and gloom some are making it out to be, all clubs go through this process of the odd poor managerial decision, Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal etc they have all been there until they stumble on the 'special one'.

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Don't agree with any of this sorry. He's made a mistake, trusting his emotions over hardcore business, signing Gerrard. He would have had a kick in the butt and the owners will now expect better including signing a top manager who's gonna take us forward. Although I do think this might be Purslows last throw of the dice, it's not the doom and gloom some are making it out to be, all clubs go through this process of the odd poor managerial decision, Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal etc they have all been there until they stumble on the 'special one'.

Appointing managers isn’t all he does. The main owners have trusted him to run the club which includes strategy, recruitment, everything.

If Purslow is as incompetent/useless as a fair few seem to be suggesting then I'm confident he'd be nowhere near our club already. The club is owned by two hugely successful multi billionaires. They don't strike me as the kind of people who would put one of their most high profile assets into the hands of someone not up to the job.

The above is not to say that he hasn't made mistakes because he clearly has but you speak with the supporter of any club, outside of maybe Man City and honeymoon period Newcastle, and they will tell you those responsible for the day to day running of their club could have done X,Y,Z better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

They also have CL/Europe revenue to back up any mistake. 

We’re in danger of being relegated. 

You don’t get to make mistakes with £300m at this level. Should be removed. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â