Christian Purslow

villan-scott

I would fully expect the club to close ranks around such fundamental matters, Purslow is pretty smart and discrete. As reported by Michael David from MOMS, Purslow poured cold water on any story by suggesting he was incredulous and sacking Gerrard had never even entered his mind. The unwanted conversation ended there. Of course he is constantly monitoring and will be disappointed by the performance to date, he is in charge of performance of the club and the league table is everything. But huge investments are made so its never going to be a knee jerk, fan led decision. I would put money on several candidates already being in dialogue. Gerrard is on a knife edge, Gerrard and Purslow both know this.

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

When Purslow was appointed the club was in a real mess. Not only we’re we about to go bankrupt, there were virtually no structures in place, businesses or football. The money side was quickly remedied obviously but we also needed someone to do the day to day running of the club. 

Purslow didn’t exactly have a hard act to follow but he’s a competent CEO and all the structures that a modern, progressive, well run and well financed PL club should have are now in place.

He’s now made a mistake in appointing Steven Gerrard. These things happen but his motives for doing it are less forgivable and are now widely seen as a vanity project. To compound this by ripping up our recruitment policy and more or less giving the keys to the castle to an inexperienced young manager just because he’s your mate, is starting to look somewhat negligent to say the least. 

If we also look at this in the context of the club announcing plans for huge stadium expansion, while the product being sold is extremely poor, things start to look a bit bigger than just one footballing decision mistake. Let’s just remind ourselves that we are a football club and getting a fundamental decision wrong like this is pretty central to most things. It would be like Aston Martin appointing a head designer from Lada and wondering why they can’t compete with Vauxhall, let alone Ferrari. 

Larry Limelight could be drinking in the last chance saloon. 

Yep, agree with all of this. 

I personally think Gerrard has ultimately been the wrong decision, I suspect Purslow recognises this as well. I think the 'mistake' will be sticking with him longer than we should. 

Were at a crucial point now where we'll find out about that. 

This week could be a big week.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Davkaus said:

What footballing decisions do we think Purslow has made, and do we know, or is it speculation?

It pisses me off no end. Just Internet rumours that are now fact. 

• Like 1

I’m sure managers are judged on key data points recorded both in matches and training. Lange will be able to see if the players are dropping off in training and matches etc. and then Purslow will have to act. I guess we are close to the point not quite there. - yet. 

Don’t think Purslow would give more than a couple of extra games to his supposed besty before acting, he didn’t get to his position as CEO by being weak and indecisive due to friendship… 

Edited by thabucks

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

Signing Ings, hiring Gerrard, changing the transfer policy to sign older expensive players

To be fair to Purslow, Dean Smith came out publicly two summers ago and stated that we needed experienced players added to the squad, players who have proven they could play at the level.  That quickly followed with the signings of Buendia and Ings.  So the changing of the transfer policy was more about the managers recognizing we'd be scrapping in the bottom half without better players added.  Not that it helped much!

I think the focus on young talent is still ongoing, albeit at the youth/U21 level rather than the first team.  

• Like 1

Purslow got the man he wanted in ,it’s been a disaster and also presided over the appointment of Lange and recruitment has been awful - needs to look at himself too for the situation we are in 

Edited by Eastie

36 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He's just a Tory politician. You can't trust a word he says.

**** him. 

A very good analogy.

I’m not sure he has a clue on the footballing side of things. 

Our transfer policy is abysmal. It doesn’t get spoken about enough. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

A very good analogy.

I’m not sure he has a clue on the footballing side of things. 

Our transfer policy is abysmal. It doesn’t get spoken about enough. 

I'm not sure it is. (Plus it's spoken about all the time)

Key areas to strengthen in the summer...CB and CDM. Kamara and Carlos come in. 

(Not to mention attempts for Bissouma and Bentancur which shows we know the quality that is needed)

Back up GK and LBs...Olsen and Augustinsson.

All of those were done right at the start of the window to allow as much time in pre-season as possible.

Previous year, Grealish goes and we get Buendia and Bailey in for creativity, Ings for an extra striker as we only had Davis and Samatta. They all made sense at the time.

The biggest problem circles back to the point that the players we have brought in aren't being used in a system that fits their qualities/cancels out weaknesses.

I've said this in a couple of posts...the only big mistake Purslow will make is if he sticks with Gerrard much longer. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, May-Z said:

I'm not sure it is. (Plus it's spoken about all the time)

Key areas to strengthen in the summer...CB and CDM. Kamara and Carlos come in. 

(Not to mention attempts for Bissouma and Bentancur which shows we know the quality that is needed)

Back up GK and LBs...Olsen and Augustinsson.

All of those were done right at the start of the window to allow as much time in pre-season as possible.

Previous year, Grealish goes and we get Buendia and Bailey in for creativity, Ings for an extra striker as we only had Davis and Samatta. They all made sense at the time.

The biggest problem circles back to the point that the players we have brought in aren't being used in a system that fits their qualities/cancels out weaknesses.

I've said this in a couple of posts...the only big mistake Purslow will make is if he sticks with Gerrard much longer. 

I couldn’t disagree more. We’re a complete mish mash of a squad and we don’t really have the personnel to play a formation that would see us compete. We have very little pace in our side and only one out and out winger. Not only that, we’ve given big wages to players that consistently warm the bench. 

We had an ideal opportunity to build and rebalance the summer we lost Grealish but signing Bailey, Buendia and Ings was anything but using common sense. Grealish played on the left so we signed two right sided attackers and a back up, past his best striker on 125k a week? It was an awful window. Why do you think we’re playing a striker as a left winger today? Is that acceptable having spent the money we have? El Ghazi is a better left sided attacker than Watkins. Sanson? Dendoncker? That’s £25m on two players that will barely feature. I also probably wouldn’t use examples of players signing for Spurs as a way to support our scouting department. 

Gerrard is a huge issue for this club, no doubt, but we’ve been scattergun ever since Grealish left. 

Our transfer policy is haphazard at best and shambolic at worst. Purslow needs to answer for that. He’s spent a LOT of money. 

• Like 2

It’s worth looking more at the job he did at Liverpool. In particular, giving the job to Dalglish and spending all that money on dross like Andy Carroll. 

I don’t think he has a very good record on the footballing side of things at all. 

Looking more and more like some intelligent, posh Liverpool fanboy. 

• Like 2

Â