John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Just now, DCJonah said:

I don't see where he starts in our strongest 11. 

I feel the same.

a huge feat the way he’s been able to kick on from being a top championship player to his current station.  Feel like he’s going to be our Henderson which is a feat.

Not for the first time recently, we looked better when he went off. But it was the same with Onana too.

We've got variety as well as choice and some games will call for McGinn whilst others won't. Today was one that didn't.

Ait-Nouri had the freedom of Villa Park in the first half because he knew there was no danger of anyone getting in behind him. Bringing on Bailey completely nullified that threat. McGinn's game isn't getting in behind full-backs anyway, but today's initial set-up offered too few attacking options.

There's still very much a place for McGinn in our squad, but we need him fully fit and playing against the right opposition.

Hoping an enforced break does him good and he can kick on for the rest of the season.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

We tend to only attack down one side unless we're really piling on.

First half was all left. Second half was all right until the final 20 when we went for broke.

I don't particularly like it, but you can't argue with the results.

Not sure about that. Last season we continually had an attacking threat down the right side with Bailey predominantly and Diaby. The other point being that McGinn offered very little support to Konsa defensively in the first half either when he was continually drifting into the middle. 

Another point I'd make would be that, no you can't argue with the results but..... against better teams we'll get more severely punished. We've played Wolves, Everton, Leicester and WHam who are hardly playing well at the moment, so we are getting away with mistakes somewhat.

Edited by avfc1982am

Think he should be judged when he's playing in one of his more normal positions, where he has been certainly isn't. There'll be times this season where Tielemans/Onana/Ramsey will look off the boil and will be changed and I completely trust McGinn in there to do a great job. I do think we will miss his dynamic hustle-bustle style in there and even today we stood off Wolves and that kind of energy was missed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

He's not a winger. Doing a job there with Bailey out but certainly don't see the best of him there .

And Jaden out. He's third choice over there, it's fine. When you're captain, you get put into positions nobody else will take. Like when we asked him to be a 6 last season. He went and tried, nobody else was going to do that job well but he went and did it, knowing he'd get shit.

Edited by 479Villan

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â