John McGinn

PompeyVillan

3 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I don't like him on the right. I have to say it.

He's been playing there for like a season. Think he's been pretty great there overall, albeit a little less effective in recent games. Last year had some of his best games for the club in that spot.

People been saying he's not done much playing in the middle too, yet he's been consistently good under Emery...

Against the better sides he will start ahead of Bailey.  Need more defensive all go player against those.  Its a squad game, no such thing as starters now.  It will depend on opposition who plays and resting them for those games 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

He's been playing there for like a season. Think he's been pretty great there overall, albeit a little less effective in recent games. Last year had some of his best games for the club in that spot.

People been saying he's not done much playing in the middle too, yet he's been consistently good under Emery...

He hasn't been playing on the right for like a year. Bailey has, or Diaby. He's mostly been one of 2 attacking mids that has drifted right occasionally. Now he's playing more like a dedicated right mid as Rogers (centre) and Ramsey (left / centre) are the more progressive pair.
I haven't said he hasn't done much in the middle, it's where I prefer him.

For clarity, I'm saying I don't like him as right mid, not that I don't like him full stop.

On 18/09/2024 at 11:16, Mazrim said:

He hasn't been playing on the right for like a year. Bailey has, or Diaby. He's mostly been one of 2 attacking mids that has drifted right occasionally. Now he's playing more like a dedicated right mid as Rogers (centre) and Ramsey (left / centre) are the more progressive pair.
I haven't said he hasn't done much in the middle, it's where I prefer him.

For clarity, I'm saying I don't like him as right mid, not that I don't like him full stop.

I think I just disagree on his position. He's played as a our widest midfielder on the right a lot and I actually think it's his best position (albeit a little more licence to drift than in the last couple of games perhaps).

According to Transfermarkt he had played "RM" 21 times under Emery before this season.

Edited by gilbertoAVFC

I hate to say it, but I can see that by the end of the season, he might not be a first choice starter. He doesn't really have a position that's "his" and in most positions, we've got a better option. I think he'll still be an important squad player, but I think there are signs that we've started to outgrow him.

1 minute ago, Risso said:

I hate to say it, but I can see that by the end of the season, he might not be a first choice starter. He doesn't really have a position that's "his" and in most positions, we've got a better option. I think he'll still be an important squad player, but I think there are signs that we've started to outgrow him.

You may well be right, although I think he is self-aware enough to know this. Without sounding too stereotypical, he is the type of person who will again find another gear I think this season and use that question mark as fuel.

He has already greatly improved under Emery.

2 hours ago, Risso said:

Would do him and us the world of good to be able to rotate without seeing a drop in quality. He was dead on his feet last season as were many others but especially for John he relies on having the energy in his game. Maybe more than anything else.

So him not being an automatic pick is probably good for him and the club strange as that sounds. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â