John McGinn

PompeyVillan

So when Bailey is back, where is he going to fit now? We won't likely be dropping any of Rogers, Tielemans or Onana/Barkley. Will we really not start Ramsey? Or is SJM destined for a future as an occasional starter/super sub/cup game regular?

5 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

So when Bailey is back, where is he going to fit now? We won't likely be dropping any of Rogers, Tielemans or Onana/Barkley. Will we really not start Ramsey? Or is SJM destined for a future as an occasional starter/super sub/cup game regular?

Considering the number of games in this campaign. McGinn play any of the midfielder and attacker positions bar striker so I imagine Unai will shuttle and rotate him as he sees fit. 

None of Rogers, Onana, JJ, Bailey, and possibly Tielemans has shown the fitness to start potentially 40-50 matches while McGinn has. 

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Frodo said:

I don't know where he will play but I don't see Emery dropping his captain.

Well, Emery is above all that sentimental shite, luckily. If SJM goes on a run of poor form, out the team he will go. Plenty of options champing at the bit on the bench.

I think he'll turn it round, though 

51 minutes ago, Powehi said:

Well, Emery is above all that sentimental shite, luckily. If SJM goes on a run of poor form, out the team he will go. Plenty of options champing at the bit on the bench.

I think he'll turn it round, though 

Emery has ask Mcginn to do a job for him & that goes along way in Emery's mind. Clearly not at his best because he is out of position. It will be interesting when Kamara is back as he is probably our best midfielder alongside Tielemans 

He played right mid most of last season if I recall and I thought he was brilliant there. With Barkley, Tielemans, Onana and Kamara, he isn’t getting much game time in the middle of the park. 

Always one of the first names on Emery’s teamsheet.

• Like 2

https://www-mirror-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/john-mcginn-unai-emery-villa-33684004.amp?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a9&usqp=mq331AQGsAEggAID#amp_tf=From %1%24s&aoh=17265749972250&csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mirror.co.uk%2Fsport%2Ffootball%2Fnews%2Fjohn-mcginn-unai-emery-villa-33684004

Some interesting quotes here. Wonder who he's talking about? Cutler and Danks perhaps? As they both dropped him for the games they were in charge for

The manager told me that he was advised that he would have to change the captain and move me on.

But he saw something I didn’t see myself. From there, he worked with me tirelessly. I never looked back. I’ll be grateful for him ignoring that external noise and internal noise to make his own judgement. It was a tough moment for me, personally. Looking back now, the week before Villa play in the Champions League, I think I’ve proved him right and others wrong. But those others aren’t at the club anymore, so that’s good.

Edited by tomav84

On 15/09/2024 at 14:45, AndyM3000 said:

I've always said he's the type of player you want when you don't have the ball but now we are dominating games he's not offering much for me. Not one of our better runners or passers.

I really think McGinn is one of the best passers in team. The amount of time he drives a ball through the lines or receives it and instantly moves it on with the perfect weight of pass, is clear to see. Think this is a very underrated part of his game. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JPJCB said:

Still love him but I think his position is most at threat in the midfield now. When Bailey comes back it might be McGinn that has to make way. It’s a squad game and all that though I guess 

I don't think bailey would start ahead of mcginniesta. 

Struggle to see how he will be a nailed on starter moving forwards, but that's one of the by-products of squad depth, he'll still get plenty of game time regardless.

That said, he was absolutely brilliant tonight. A proper SJM performance. Total legend.

• Like 1

I mentioned in the match thread, but I do think he offers that great alternative to Bailey on the right, lot more defensive work and niggly play rather than out and out flair. Who plays there can depend on who is playing RB and that's a good place to be in considering RB is the 'problem position' right now.

Hate to say it because the term is over used and condescending but at this stage in his career - he’s become the “glue guy.”

In a team suddenly bursting with attacking threat, you still need someone to do the unglamorous work and who the manager trusts implicitly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Powehi said:

I mentioned in the match thread, but I do think he offers that great alternative to Bailey on the right, lot more defensive work and niggly play rather than out and out flair. Who plays there can depend on who is playing RB and that's a good place to be in considering RB is the 'problem position' right now.

Will be games for McGinn and games for Bailey. We need to realise that we have a squad now and its not some foreign concept

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â