John McGinn

PompeyVillan

I expect Mcginn to continue starting games during the first half of the season and also to play in all the big games but wouldn’t be surprised if this is the season he transitions from automatic starter to being on the bench more often. 

Been taken off after 60-65 mins in the first two games which is practically unheard so far. Not convinced pre-season is playing a part in this either tbh unlike Watkins. 

• Like 1

On 25/08/2024 at 08:31, eholm said:

I think we lost some control when he was subbed yesterday. He does do much OTB work that is often unseen. 

So true… we were much weaker for taking him and Onana off. Conceded after John was subbed.

He always battles for us and you need some of that to truly compete, we’ve relied on him so often.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

On 25/08/2024 at 17:31, eholm said:

I think we lost some control when he was subbed yesterday. He does do much OTB work that is often unseen. 

Indeed.

It is kind of mentioned here 

and then more closely here

• Like 1

I think he is much better suited to RW, there he can make his trademark move where he receives the ball, shields it with his mighty arse and then turns inside rushing forward. Overall he receives the ball more naturally with his left foot when he plays on the right. He is not as comfortable playing with his right foot.

• Like 1

Interesting comment he made after the game....."We're letting teams come on to us at times, which we won't want, going forward"

I think he is right.

The way he spoke about Duran was, for me, the perfect example of why he is our captain. Honest enough to own that maybe he was a little harsh when commenting on Duran's attitude last season,  but also, honest enough to now praise him for showing a more mature and committed attitude. That's all we, as supporters, want to hear because it's those traits that will accelerate his progress and hopefully result in him becoming the Villa legend we all want him to become. 

I'm sure, those with a more wise and mature mindset have encouraged him to believe that there's no reason why he cannot fulfil his ambitions in the colours of Claret and Blue. 

• Like 2

Wonder if it might be his last season at the club. A very good player and absolutely a legend for me. Might be wise to cash in though given his age and the fact it may mean we can keep somebody like Kamara, Rogers or Ramsey for another season?

Feel dirty even typing it. 

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Wonder if it might be his last season at the club. A very good player and absolutely a legend for me. Might be wise to cash in though given his age and the fact it may mean we can keep somebody like Kamara, Rogers or Ramsey for another season?

Feel dirty even typing it. 

I doubt it. I don’t think he would get us a fee significant enough to compensate for what we lose in his strengths on and off the pitch. I can’t see him playing for another English club. My guess is he does another couple of seasons here and then returns to Scotland.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I doubt it. I don’t think he would get us a fee significant enough to compensate for what we lose in his strengths on and off the pitch. I can’t see him playing for another English club. My guess is he does another couple of seasons here and then returns to Scotland.

Agreed, I think winning some trophies early in his career in Scotland, moving to Villa in the Championship, getting promoted, captaining us into the Champions League, scoring loads of goals for Scotland… the only thing left really for the full set for a boyhood Celtic fan is to go there and pick up a few SPL titles in his 30s.

• Like 3

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â