John McGinn

PompeyVillan

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Questioning the meatball man only to look absolutely stupid within a few weeks.

"First time huh?"

Mate, nobody at all is going to be upset here if the club captain plays outstanding and leads us to wins.

Nobody also is going to "pour one out" for him if Villa win the league and he plays not a minute more.

It's not that dramatic.

Just now, 479Villan said:

Mate, nobody at all is going to be upset here if the club captain plays outstanding and leads us to wins.

Nobody also is going to "pour one out" for him if Villa win the league and he plays not a minute more.

It's not that dramatic.

You're the one being dramatic mate lol

Just now, rodders0223 said:

You're the one being dramatic mate lol

I know, I'm out here calling people "absolutely stupid" for having an opinion that he might shouldn't play 90 minutes every match.

Oh, wait.

"lol" indeed

32 minutes ago, tezzaleed said:

he's been our best player on the pitch so many times I'm amazed more than a handful of fans would question whether he's good enough to win trophies.  I accept some rate Ramsey as good as and potentially better than mcginn, so that could be a conversation, but is mcginn good enough to win trophies is not a conversation many would engage with.

Yep, he is crucial for us - so often. Big performances in our best games and results last season. And… he is our captain after all.

They are completely different players tbf… neither of them can do what the other does to the same sort of level. John is our heartbeat or energy source and can play in multiple positions. Helped by Onana now…

Unai will use the right players for the right moment, in the right games. Why we have a squad, we need alternatives.

1 minute ago, 479Villan said:

I know, I'm out here calling people "absolutely stupid" for having an opinion that he might shouldn't play 90 minutes every match.

Oh, wait.

"lol" indeed

I've called McGinn shit every season for 5 years. I'm the moron. "First time huh"

I'll not be doing it again 

Edited by rodders0223

Just now, rodders0223 said:

I've called McGinn shit every season for 5 years. I'm the moron.

How about we shake on it and both be morons? That's more fun.

Whether it’s rest or rotation… managing McGinn’s fitness and energy levels will be massive for us. Quite like the thought of him coming off the bench in second halves and being a nightmare for the opposition… no one presses as well as he does. But he will start for the most part and be as integral as he as been since Unai arrived… and we can take him off and preserve that stamina too…

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

We’re all morons here…

Yeah, but we're all svelte, handsome, and our club has 3 points on week 1. So, I mean, God gives and God takes away.

5 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

He always takes 2-3 games to get up to speed.  How do some fans not know this after 5 or 6 years.  Will be one of first on team sheet 

Isn't the general point more that if McGinn isn't on the team sheet for whatever reason (injury, form, suspension, general rest, etc) then we're getting close to the situation that our named team isn't immediately worse - if it's even worse at all.  McGinn and Ramsey offer different things and sometimes one might be a better fit than the other.  That's really not a bad thing.  Options and strength in depth are great.  And if SJM is "dropped" then you know full well that he'll be his usual self around the training ground, he'll be urging the boys on and he'll be working even harder to try and force his way back in.  Again none of that is bad.  At the moment I'd be starting him with Onana and Tielemans when possible - but it's great news that if he comes off after 60/65/70 minutes then we've got some really good players to maybe bring on and offer something a bit different.

11 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Whether it’s rest or rotation… managing McGinn’s fitness and energy levels will be massive for us. Quite like the thought of him coming off the bench in second halves and being a nightmare for the opposition… no one presses as well as he does. But he will start for the most part and be as integral as he as been since Unai arrived… and we can take him off and preserve that stamina too…

SJM will be a better player not having to play every minute of every game and we'll be a better team as a result (because we'll have the best of him more often).

• Like 1

Just now, allani said:

SJM will be a better player not having to play every minute of every game and we'll be a better team as a result (because we'll have the best of him more often).

Thanks for summing up what I said more concisely 😂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, allani said:

Isn't the general point more that if McGinn isn't on the team sheet for whatever reason (injury, form, suspension, general rest, etc) then we're getting close to the situation that our named team isn't immediately worse - if it's even worse at all.  McGinn and Ramsey offer different things and sometimes one might be a better fit than the other.  That's really not a bad thing.  Options and strength in depth are great.  And if SJM is "dropped" then you know full well that he'll be his usual self around the training ground, he'll be urging the boys on and he'll be working even harder to try and force his way back in.  Again none of that is bad.  At the moment I'd be starting him with Onana and Tielemans when possible - but it's great news that if he comes off after 60/65/70 minutes then we've got some really good players to maybe bring on and offer something a bit different.

Yes i believe that’s correct.  Being in CL, most of or players will probably be playing 110-120 mins a week.  Either that be 60/60mins or 90/30mins.  Its great we have players to be able to do this and not weaken the team.  Its what got us 3pts today. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Crazy how every player is expected to be a 10/10 in every game these days and slated if they aren’t…

If we aspire to close the gap on Arsenal and Man City reality is our players need to be 8/10 most games

That's why those clubs are as consistent as they are because their players very rarely drop below a certain level

34 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

If we aspire to close the gap on Arsenal and Man City reality is our players need to be 8/10 most games

That's why those clubs are as consistent as they are because their players very rarely drop below a certain level

Showed up in those games against them, big time, last season.

Under appreciate him at your peril.

A stronger squad will help keep fitness and form levels up rather than having to burn out or flog any player…

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â