John McGinn

PompeyVillan

I keep asking myself if McGinn is good enough as a starter if the end goal is trophies

Is he a trophy level player?

I still am not sure

Edited by Pinebro

He had a good season last time around until the last few months. I think he'll pick up but I do think he's very limited and with the players we have he could find his place under serious threat sooner rather than later.  

He may actually be still tired from willing us into UCL last season, then having to go to Euros and trying to will that team forward.

But he looked great in preseason, which tells you what that is worth.

I would love for us to be in a position that he doesn't have to burn all of his calories, then burn muscles to push us forward. The man deserves subbing off at 60 minutes at times.

8 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i think both McGinn and Bailey will have to fight for their place this season, for very different reasons.

Who's challenging Bailey for his position? I just don't see Leon losing his place at all tbh. Done some excellent work today and unlucky not to score considering he got kicked all over the place at times. 

Just now, avfc1982am said:

Who's challenging Bailey for his position? I just don't see Leon losing his place at all tbh. Done some excellent work today and unlucky not to score considering he got kicked all over the place at times. 

He's probably hinting towards Buendia but yeah that ain't happening anytime soon

4 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

i didnt say he would lose his place, but if he isnt on it and performing, my point is that we have numerous players who could step up and make a claim for the spot, so no easy rides for any of those forward players this season, for sure.

Just now, MaVilla said:

i didnt say he would lose his place, but if he isnt on it and performing, my point is that we have numerous players who could step up and make a claim for the spot, so no easy rides for any of those forward players this season, for sure.

I don't see it personally. The wide positions are played inverted to make space for the overlaps and we've lost the only real threat to Leon's place in Diaby. No doubt others can do a job there but a don't see anyone taking his position full time currently. Maybe if we bring in another left footed wide player. Who currently would you think could take that position from him? 

Anyway wrong thread tbh. 

Just now, Hank Scorpio said:

It's one game.

Yeah but would you say McGinn is better than Ramsey?

I think it's a close one. I honestly do

3 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

yes.  yes he is, clearly.  he's proved over several seasons he's a vital player in our first team.  he had a slightly quiter game today buy that's partly because he was played on the left not the right. He's still a class act.

5 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I don't see the relevance. McGinn has earned his place. Ramsey hasn't played for a year.

Just now, tezzaleed said:

yes.  yes he is, clearly.  he's proved over several seasons he's a vital player in our first team.  he had a slightly quiter game today buy that's partly because he was played on the left not the right. He's still a class act.

I think some people will agree with you and some will disagree with you

I think there is a conversation to be had.

As I've said if the end game is trophies I am still not sure McGinn is at a level to get us through that

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I don't see the relevance. McGinn has earned his place. Ramsey hasn't played for a year.

What does "earning your place" even mean? This is a game of athleticism, it's not a sales job where experience is supreme.

There is no shame in there being competition. It can, in fact, be beneficial for extending McGinn's career, knowing there are options out there and he doesn't have to go full 90 and start every damn game. He can, in fact, be a piece in the machine.

Edited by 479Villan
  • Like 2

Just now, Pinebro said:

I think some people will agree with you and some will disagree with you

I think there is a conversation to be had.

As I've said if the end game is trophies I am still not sure McGinn is at a level to get us through that

he's been our best player on the pitch so many times I'm amazed more than a handful of fans would question whether he's good enough to win trophies.  I accept some rate Ramsey as good as and potentially better than mcginn, so that could be a conversation, but is mcginn good enough to win trophies is not a conversation many would engage with.

2 minutes ago, 479Villan said:

What does "earning your place" even mean? This is a game of athleticism, it's not a sales job where experience is supreme.

There is no shame in there being competition. It can, in fact, be beneficial for extending McGinn's career, knowing there are options out there and he doesn't have to go full 90 and start every damn game. He can, in fact, be a piece in the machine.

If McGinn is to be replaced his levels will have to drop off and Ramsey show he is in better form to justify replacing McGinn

It's nothing to do with Ramsey being better than McGinn or not 

I'm simply saying it's McGinn's place to lose.

25 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

If McGinn is to be replaced his levels will have to drop off and Ramsey show he is in better form to justify replacing McGinn

It's nothing to do with Ramsey being better than McGinn or not 

I'm simply saying it's McGinn's place to lose.

I don't understand your first two sentences "Ramsey [will have to] show he is in better form to justify replacing McGinn" but "it's nothing to do with Ramsey being better than McGinn or not"?

Unless you're saying "Yes, Ramsey is better than McGinn [by whatever subjective measure you want to say about talent] but until that talent turns to form, it doesn't matter."?

If so, I'd agree, I don't care about talent, I care about performance. But I think performance is always the measure. If you aren't getting it done, a great club will have someone else there more than ready to steal your spot from you.

The past 15 years or so, we have absolutely had no bench or challenging for most spots. We had a best 11 and nobody there on the bench to influence the game. We have that right now. We have competition. That is good for the club and for us. But nobody has a guaranteed spot, or should. That creates complacency.

Edited by 479Villan

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â