John McGinn

PompeyVillan

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Are Man City, Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea, Man U, Newcastle recently even traditional " Champions League teams? "

Is this just a generic and Ill thought out slight of him when he has a bad game or something?

As I'm pretty sure he's played and excelled against that level of team before 

McGinn is the least of our worries ffs

Yeah but forget those teams, what's he going to do when he comes up against the likes of Sparta Prague, Sturm Graz, Bodo/Glimtz Celtic etc etc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Are Man City, Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea, Man U, Newcastle recently even traditional " Champions League teams? "

Is this just a generic and Ill thought out slight of him when he has a bad game or something?

As I'm pretty sure he's played and excelled against that level of team before 

McGinn is the least of our worries ffs

I've seen the likes of Kamara and Luiz literally hand teams goals and play like pub players at times but get a pass and worshipped like they are prime Yaya Toure and Makalele

HOWEVER John isn't exotic so gets none despite all he's done for and with us.

Don’t think it’s got anything at all to do with him being exotic or not… he is often appreciated by so many of us and has his own, famous, song! He’s generally one of our most loved players, by the majority of the fanbase and the more level headed among us.

Don’t agree on Luiz and Kamara getting passes (no player does when it comes to us lot!). They’ve had more than their fair share of criticism and complaints, especially Dougie over the years. I think you’ve been exaggerating on the “overrating of him” too mate, sorry.

As I mentioned in the Pau thread… I’m really quite taken aback at the general wave of negativity, pessimism, disgruntlement and even petty behaviour I’ve seen online… and I’m not just referring to this place (which is usually, but not always, tamer.

Constant calls for signings too (have some bloody patience! 😆) or bedwetting of what rival or other PL teams are doing and people @ing Monchi and Heck 😂😂😂 FFS grow up and develop a brain! 😂

Pretty sure we discussed it sometime during the latter part of last season, a few of us raised concerns that maybe Unai has done so well that he has raised expectation levels and demands to such a degree that it’s going to bring out some entitlement, arrogance and general ugliness in our fanbase… I think we’re seeing it… 😬

Constant complaints and moaning without any appreciation or perspective… getting on the backs of players who have contributed to our progress and success enormously. Huge contributors to our cause but now being doubted or slated…

It’s only bloody preseason!!! 😂

Players like John and Pau who were integral and instrumental are ALREADY being shat on! 😂

Why do we expect or demand constant, faultless and perfect displays from our players? Especially in friendlies! 😂

Do we not all agree that we kind of over achieved (I only mean in regard to expectations of us, what we did we fully deserved!)?

I can understand having and sharing some concerns or calmly/mildly debating where we might have minor flaws or deficiencies… that’s fine and it’s good to have a think about what we might do and how we might change things up. I don’t see why we shouldn’t anyone at the club though or expect bad things to happen!

I’ve seen so much bitching and some proper aggressive rants… it’s bloody mental! 😂

So… I’m gonna have a rant of my own 😆

The window’s still open and not everything hinges or rides on that first game of the season (which we will do our best to get 3 points from)… we play 2 league games before it closes! And we have many good players who I believe will be ready… Unai will see to it, when has he let us down? He’s our bloody messiah! 😂

I remember how often me and you actually brought up how much of a drop off there was when John was missing or not able to perform at his best (whether that was occasionally down to knocks, niggles, fatigue, burnout etc.). His performance against City was colossal, he was unplayable and they just couldn’t get the ball off him. When he performs, the whole team performs. Our heartbeat and driving force, so often. And he’s fully and properly grown into that captaincy role, it’s been wonderful to see. Unai has elevated him in so many ways…

No one can say that he didn’t show up in our biggest results and performances.

I just find this all very weird… kind of surreal…

We’ve just had our best PL season in yonks, arguably ever (considering we play a style of football that has been unparalleled, and so entertaining or easy on the eye, for a Villa side imo and seemed like a dream more than a possibility). Enjoyed so many impressive performances from players and our manager…. they’ve made us/me SO PROUD. Most of what we’d known and experienced beforehand and for many years was utterly miserable and incredibly dour. 

Unai has worked wonders… and so have his players.

We got CHAMPIONS LEAGUE!

Yet some people are still crying for no good, bloody reason! 😂

I really don’t get it. So much worrying and fretting…

Manager and players deserve so much respect, faith, admiration and appreciation… imo anyway. And the owners too, of course.

I assumed this was a season where we could kind of just relax and enjoy… but you’ll never get rid of or quieten the bed wetters, moaners and sour pusses! 😆

The fretting over somehow possibly missing out on 4th last season and potentially being beaten to it by worse or inferior teams was frankly embarrassing too…

We have a lot to actually be grateful for, to and to continue to experience and enjoy…

As we know, the good times don’t last so… maybe we should fully enjoy and be immersed while they’re here…

I’ve been really impressed by John tbh… he has become a fine captain and example for his teammates. Even Unai has called him “Super John McGinn” 😃

Erased and overcome all the doubts… what a player and what a bloke! 💪

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Don’t think it’s got anything at all to do with him being exotic or not… he is often appreciated by so many of us and has his own, famous, song! He’s generally one of our most loved players, by the majority of the fanbase and the more level headed among us.

Don’t agree on Luiz and Kamara getting passes (no player does when it comes to us lot!). They’ve had more than their fair share of criticism and complaints, especially Dougie over the years. I think you’ve been exaggerating on the “overrating of him” too mate, sorry.

As I mentioned in the Pau thread… I’m really quite taken aback at the general wave of negativity, pessimism, disgruntlement and even petty behaviour I’ve seen online… and I’m not just referring to this place (which is usually, but not always, tamer.

Constant calls for signings too (have some bloody patience! 😆) or bedwetting of what rival or other PL teams are doing and people @ing Monchi and Heck 😂😂😂 FFS grow up and develop a brain! 😂

Pretty sure we discussed it sometime during the latter part of last season, a few of us raised concerns that maybe Unai has done so well that he has raised expectation levels and demands to such a degree that it’s going to bring out some entitlement, arrogance and general ugliness in our fanbase… I think we’re seeing it… 😬

Constant complaints and moaning without any appreciation or perspective… getting on the backs of players who have contributed to our progress and success enormously. Huge contributors to our cause but now being doubted or slated…

Players like John and Pau who were integral and instrumental are ALREADY being shat on! 😂

Why do we expect or demand constant, faultless and perfect displays from our players? Especially in friendlies! 😂

Do we not all agree that we kind of over achieved (I only mean in regard to expectations of us, what we did we fully deserved!)?

I can understand having and sharing some concerns or calmly/mildly debating where we might have minor flaws or deficiencies… that’s fine and it’s good to have a think about what we might do and how we might change things up. I don’t see why we shouldn’t anyone at the club though or expect bad things to happen!

I’ve seen so much bitching and some proper aggressive rants… it’s bloody mental! 😂

The window’s still open and not everything hinges or rides on that first game of the season (which we will do our best to get 3 points from)… we play 2 league games before it closes! And we have many good players who I believe will be ready… Unai will see to it, when has he let us down? He’s our bloody messiah! 😂

I remember how often me and you actually brought up how much of a drop off there was when John was missing or not able to perform at his best (whether that was occasionally down to knocks, niggles, fatigue, burnout etc.). His performance against City was colossal, he was unplayable and they just couldn’t get the ball off him. When he performs, the whole team performs. Our heartbeat and driving force, so often. And he’s fully and properly grown into that captaincy role, it’s been wonderful to see. Unai has elevated him in so many ways…

We’ve just had our best PL season in yonks, arguably ever (considering we play a style of football that has been unparalleled, and so entertaining or easy on the eye, for a Villa side imo and seemed like a dream more than a possibility). Enjoyed so many impressive performances from players and our manager…. they’ve made us/me SO PROUD. Most of what we’d known and experienced beforehand and for many years was utterly miserable and incredibly dour. 

We got CHAMPIONS LEAGUE!

Manager and players deserve so much respect, faith, admiration and appreciation… imo anyway. And the owners too, of course.

I assumed this was a season where we could kind of just relax and enjoy… but you’ll never get rid of or quieten the bed wetters, moaners and sour pusses! 😆

The fretting over somehow possibly missing out on 4th last season and potentially being beaten to it by worse or inferior teams was frankly embarrassing too…

We have a lot to actually be grateful for, to and to continue to experience and enjoy…

As we know, the good times don’t last so… maybe we should fully enjoy and be immersed while they’re here…

I’ve been really impressed by John tbh… he has become a fine captain and example for his teammates. Even Unai has called him “Super John McGinn” 😃

Meh I've been quite miserable today myself mate.

So returning my overflowing cup of ingested negative Villa social media energy back to everyone.

I'll be fine tomorrow ..., ☺️ 

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I've seen the likes of Kamara and Luiz literally hand teams goals and play like pub players at times

Hyperbole at its finest

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

HOWEVER John isn't exotic so gets none despite all he's done for and with us.

Load of rubbish mate sorry...no-one's forgetting what he's done for us, but he has a ceiling.

35 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Hyperbole at its finest

Lol... We watch the same team.

Are you trying to tell me that you've never seen those two players have shocking games and literally give goals away?

Because I remember them vividly and there js video so it's not stuff I can just st make up for effect.

Only difference is they are most people's favourite players so get leeway due to credit in the bank. 

Which I'm not even necessarily saying is undeserved.

I'm not the type to just slag players off either, I just bring up some of these things because selectiive favouritism and slating winds me up.

Similarly to if Olsen was in goal tonight, everyone would have an easier job just blaming him for being the worst goalie in the world which would then allow us to spare others.

Even Pau has done some shite which Mings would get crucified for, as another example.

Cash gets slagged off even when he is decent because he ain't the shiny new toy and Cash bashing is standard.

Even Ollie gets it if he has a barren spell.

In fairness I don't even remember what the original rant was/Is about but I know I had a point I was trying to make which has now run away from me .

As mentioned above I've been miserable and didn't enjoy the game ot some of the reactions either.

I need to go to sleep lol

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Meh I've been quite miserable today myself mate.

So returning my overflowing cup of ingested negative Villa social media energy back to everyone.

I'll be fine tomorrow ..., ☺️ 

spacer.png

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Load of rubbish mate sorry...no-one's forgetting what he's done for us, but he has a ceiling.

He does have a ceiling 

But again the statement that he will get found out at CL level seemingly doesn't take in to account who actually plays in the CL and like JV said he plays 6 of these "CL level" clubs twice a year and normally does perfectly fine 

Not sure why he's been singled out for criticism following a pre season friendly, it's just negative for the sake of it a week before the season starts which is fairly typical villa 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jas10 said:

We got CHAMPIONS LEAGUE!

Your emoji game is in midseason form 👍👍

What a signing, best thing Brucey did for us (and he repaired a lot of damage to be completely fair to him, despite his limitations).

Absolute bargain and he has given us years of dedicated service, given his all for the club and it’s great to see him continue to rise to the occasion. Unai is a fan.

• Like 1

I didn't watch the full 90 but I did see a few vintage McGinn spins to help us break out. We didn't capitalise on them at all and most of them ended up in a foul which reset the play but you could see his quality.

Why are people readig anything into a pre-seaso friendly, it gives no indication of how he will do at Champions League level whatsoever, for good or bad. He's performed well against the best teams in the Premier League, that gives a better indication how he would do in the Champions League than a pre-season friendly. Jota looked a world beater when we beat RB Leipzig 3-1 in a friendly, he then had a poor season, and we only narrowly survived relegation

McGinn has grown into the Captain role, very fitting and I’m sure will remain a Club Captain while he remains here.

Thought on balance yesterday he was bright. I’m sure normal officiating would have influenced that game and his effectiveness too.

But I do think after we find our new #10 as this windows big issue, next summer the focus will be on McGinn’s successor. 

13 hours ago, grantholtgolazo said:

Could see early on he was getting bullied a bit and not getting calls, was going to be a long day. Another (better) ref and it could have been a much different outing.

This is why I said in the match thread I initially thought he was having a decent game. In the league he would have gotten them at least 2 yellows and maybe hurt their press because they would have had to be more cautious. But as many pointed out he was unable to keep possession etc.

12 minutes ago, LxYoungAVFC said:

This is why I said in the match thread I initially thought he was having a decent game. In the league he would have gotten them at least 2 yellows and maybe hurt their press because they would have had to be more cautious. But as many pointed out he was unable to keep possession etc.

Agree, the ref was awful yesterday and both John and Morgan probably got the worst of the decisions

4 hours ago, Jas10 said:

spacer.png

Yeah I've had a sleep.

This was extreme hours of the morning here and I was grumpy and tired 😫 

Back to normal programming haha 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â