John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Looked isolated tonight, he was also visibly frustrated.

Yes Germany are the better team but Scotland have a couple of good players but the rest are shockingly bad.

I'm curious to see where people think McGinn's best position is and where he best fits into our team next season. 

Bailey has been outstanding up at Grealish levels for us and seems to have made the right midfield position his now, which is where McGinn played a lot first half of last season. Left mid for me I would go for Ramsey if he is fit, and my first choice double pivot would be Luiz and Kamara or Tielemans and Kamara if Luiz gets sold.

So that only leaves the second striker type role and for me I would have him ahead of Diaby in that role but behind Rogers who I think would flourish in that role, and also behind Buendia who I think really suits that role for us.

But then at the same time I can't leave McGinn out, he is our captain and has just had a fantastic season and helps make us tick so I would have to squeeze him in somewhere! 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, alexvilla4 said:

I'm curious to see where people think McGinn's best position is and where he best fits into our team next season. 

Bailey has been outstanding up at Grealish levels for us and seems to have made the right midfield position his now, which is where McGinn played a lot first half of last season. Left mid for me I would go for Ramsey if he is fit, and my first choice double pivot would be Luiz and Kamara or Tielemans and Kamara if Luiz gets sold.

So that only leaves the second striker type role and for me I would have him ahead of Diaby in that role but behind Rogers who I think would flourish in that role, and also behind Buendia who I think really suits that role for us.

But then at the same time I can't leave McGinn out, he is our captain and has just had a fantastic season and helps make us tick so I would have to squeeze him in somewhere! 

I've been critical of McGinn in the past and really supportive of him at the same time.  On paper he shouldn't be in our starting XI as I think we have better players and his attributes don't easily fit into a "standard" position.  But McGinn is one of those players who has taken a limited set of abilities and physical attributes and made himself a much, much better player than he probably should be.  In a time where you see many super talented players struggle to live up to the expectations and deliver the type of career that they should have - McGinn is the exact opposite.  He's made a career that is already (I think) significantly above the ceiling he <should> have reached.  It's that determination and commitment to exceed / maximise his opportunities that really mark him out and make it difficult not to include him in the team (and also why I would hope we can get him to stay at the club after he stops playing - because I think he'd be great with the academy / younger first team players).  But I do like the fact that we're getting to the point where we can rotate him so that he doesn't need to play every minute of every game without it impacting significantly on the strength of the team on the pitch.

Mcginn has a lot of attributes but as a midfielder, getting on the ball and trying to dictate play is absolutely not one of them. It's actually really staggering how often he struggles to find space and be in positions deep to receive the ball.

Compound that with McTominnay who absolutely does not want to receive the ball and is one of the stiffest midfielders you'll ever see and it's a nightmare.

14 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Mcginn has a lot of attributes but as a midfielder, getting on the ball and trying to dictate play is absolutely not one of them. It's actually really staggering how often he struggles to find space and be in positions deep to receive the ball.

Compound that with McTominnay who absolutely does not want to receive the ball and is one of the stiffest midfielders you'll ever see and it's a nightmare.

But what would you say his main attribute is? Other than using his arse to spin...

Energy, tenacity and getting stuck in, combative, that "elbow" after about 2 minutes as he's jostling for the ball, do that for days

They made him (and the rest of the team) stand 5 yards off ze Germans and point a lot

It was a genuinely bizarre set up from Scotland that deservedly got spanked 

A lot of people on here seem to think that a team only needs 11 players....

This could have gone in any thread but this seemed fitting at the moment.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, useless said:

I feel his passing is underrated, some of his passes and the way he finds angles for those passes can be brillant, for that a alone I don't think he deserves the 'not very good technically' phrase and similar that' sometimes get employed to describe him, look through his goals and a lot of those will have required no small amount of technique too

His passing is brilliant especially over short and medium distances, but its literally he'll be nowhere for 10 minutes and then he will ping a lovely ball forward...but get on the ball your team is getting pumped, just get on it for 5 minutes and pass the ball sideways and back if you have to. It's his main flaw for me and just made me remember back years ago when we were quite bad ...and he'd vanish.

Imagine being subbed off for a team as bad as Scotland, but McGinn was awful, one of the worst players on the pitch and that's saying something as most of them were bad. Be unthinkable for them to drop him though as he's still one of the best players in a very poor team. 

Seems no matter how well we do in the league we rarely have any starters for the best national teams. Martinez at the last World Cup was one, then you had to probably go back to 2014 when Vlaar started for the Dutch who got to the semis. Watkins and Konsa won't start for England, even Tielemans doesn't sound like he will start for Belgium although that is bizarre because he is better than Mangala.. Wirtz and Musiala are both younger than JJ, hopefully our Academy will start turning out players like this in the future because they are both outstanding young players and at 21 starting for a team that for me are one of the favourites to win it. 

For me, John shouldn't be playing in his own half. I love him and he brings so much to our team/club but I personally think he is a liability when he plays a deeper role.

Watch John closely. Watch how often he receives a ball from someone to his right and he - 9 times out of 10 - will let the ball roll across him so that he can get on his left foot. Opponents have sussed him out and Germany snuffed him out last night by preventing him getting onto his left foot. Keep him on his right and you pretty much nullify John. 

I prefer it when he plays further forward as gets stuck in and often wins the ball back high up the pitch. He has a good shot on him too and drives forward when on the ball. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

It’s actually incredible that he’s not Scotland captain, I genuinely can’t believe that.

There’s a Liverpool player in the team so automatically is the best option. Apparently. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Imagine being subbed off for a team as bad as Scotland, but McGinn was awful, one of the worst players on the pitch and that's saying something as most of them were bad. Be unthinkable for them to drop him though as he's still one of the best players in a very poor team. 

Seems no matter how well we do in the league we rarely have any starters for the best national teams. Martinez at the last World Cup was one, then you had to probably go back to 2014 when Vlaar started for the Dutch who got to the semis. Watkins and Konsa won't start for England, even Tielemans doesn't sound like he will start for Belgium although that is bizarre because he is better than Mangala.. Wirtz and Musiala are both younger than JJ, hopefully our Academy will start turning out players like this in the future because they are both outstanding young players and at 21 starting for a team that for me are one of the favourites to win it. 

What's the definition of "one of the worst", because I can probably name another 10 players in that Scotland team last night that was worst than him?

23 minutes ago, HongKongVillan said:

What's the definition of "one of the worst", because I can probably name another 10 players in that Scotland team last night that was worst than him?

They were all bad basically but only Che Adams and the number 11 (forget his name) stood out as being worse than McGinn for me. Would have thought he’d stand out as one of the better players too given at club level arguably only Robertson is better but no, he played like he was still hungover from our end of season celebrations.

Would have been nice to see a Villa player or 2 in that German starting 11.

15 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

It’s actually incredible that he’s not Scotland captain, I genuinely can’t believe that.

To be fair, Robertson is a bit older, has a few more caps, has been in the PL longer and has won major trophies. It’s not unreasonable that he’d be picked ahead of McGinn. Let’s remember as well that when McGinn was named Villa captain, it was widely condemned (in this thread for example) as a bad choice - that was less than two years ago. So the uptick in his ‘leadership’ is pretty recent from that perspective. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Leeroy said:

They were all bad basically but only Che Adams and the number 11 (forget his name) stood out as being worse than McGinn for me. Would have thought he’d stand out as one of the better players too given at club level arguably only Robertson is better but no, he played like he was still hungover from our end of season celebrations.

Would have been nice to see a Villa player or 2 in that German starting 11.

Every single Scotland player was very poor last night. McGinn did not stand out negatively but he also did not stand out positively in any way either. He didn't get on the ball, retain possession, put a press on/win the ball back, and for the third goal he's ambling some significant distance from Kimmich who he's notionally covering while Kimmich puts in the cross that leads to the penalty. 

Last night should be a wake-up call for Scotland, but also for McGinn. That's what games in the Champions League are going to be like as well. There are going to be players of the level of Kroos, Gundogan and Wirtz to deal with, and that kind of effort won't cut it. 

32 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Last night should be a wake-up call for Scotland, but also for McGinn. That's what games in the Champions League are going to be like as well. There are going to be players of the level of Kroos, Gundogan and Wirtz to deal with, and that kind of effort won't cut it. 

Agree with your assessment of the performance but not sure about this bit. I’m not saying we are going to be challenging for the CL title but McGinn is used to playing the best teams in the world and some of the best in the CL - he scored the winner against one of them this season. Sure we might come up against Real Madrid or whoever but he’s used to playing Man City, Liverpool and Arsenal - he doesn’t need a wake-up call for a competition that’ll also feature Lille, Celtic and Sturm Graz.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Every single Scotland player was very poor last night. McGinn did not stand out negatively but he also did not stand out positively in any way either. He didn't get on the ball, retain possession, put a press on/win the ball back, and for the third goal he's ambling some significant distance from Kimmich who he's notionally covering while Kimmich puts in the cross that leads to the penalty. 

International football and champions league football are not the same thing. The comparison is weak - McGinn for Scotland is not McGinn for Villa.

Â