John McGinn

PompeyVillan

9 hours ago, burchy said:

Based on Emery’s comments in the presser both Meatball and JJ aren’t going anywhere. 

He looks a damn sight fitter than I’ve ever seen him and his performances have been much improved. 

I think some decent competition for him (Guendouzi, Otavio, etc) in the Summer to make sure he doesn’t get complacent and we’ve sorted the right side of the midfield for the next couple of seasons. 

What did he say?

He has very good spirit every day; he’s smiling every day; he wants to train every day. As a professional, he’s amazing with his commitment and his example for other players.

“I like him. When I arrived here, I remember the first meeting we had in the dressing room and now he’s the same.

“I’m very happy with him and his performances have been at a high level. He’s played as a midfielder in the last two matches, as a number ten, and he played very well.

“It was very good for me to know he can play in different positions.”

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, catanzaro said:

He has very good spirit every day; he’s smiling every day; he wants to train every day. As a professional, he’s amazing with his commitment and his example for other players.

“I like him. When I arrived here, I remember the first meeting we had in the dressing room and now he’s the same.

“I’m very happy with him and his performances have been at a high level. He’s played as a midfielder in the last two matches, as a number ten, and he played very well.

“It was very good for me to know he can play in different positions.”

I for one am happy that this guy is our Captain. Yes he went through a bad patch but you can’t keep a good bloke down.  

Edited by WHY
  • Like 1

His attitude and personality have never been in question. Every manager has loved him. I think he’s clearly a good choice for being club captain but I still don’t agree with the way it happened - that was a complete sh*t show. 

I still think we need to go into the Summer with the intention that we can improve upon both him and Ramsey. It’s not coincidence that McGinn’s form has been a lot better when a) he’s playing in a position that suits his skillset more, and b) he has a real fight on his hands to get into the team. 

Competition is healthy. If we’re in a position next season where Ramsey and McGinn are starting on the bench, we’ll be challenging for Europe as we’ll have got the Summer window right. 

• Like 3

I’ve got mixed views on the below comments. On the one hand he probably was scapegoated during a poor period. However on the other hand, he has been undeniably bad at times, it’s not like he was dropped whilst playing as well he is now. I’m delighted he’s proving people wrong but he has definitely upped his game.

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

I’ve got mixed views on the below comments. On the one hand he probably was scapegoated during a poor period. However on the other hand, he has been undeniably bad at times, it’s not like he was dropped whilst playing as well he is now. I’m delighted he’s proving people wrong but he has definitely upped his game.

Everyone was shit under Gerrard. And even before then Smith had no idea how to move us forwards without Grealish. They all get a big pass for me and with McGinn, who I was indeed massively critical of, he's looked transformed since Emery came in—particularly in the last few months. I love him again, and this is good.

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

His attitude and personality have never been in question. Every manager has loved him. I think he’s clearly a good choice for being club captain but I still don’t agree with the way it happened - that was a complete sh*t show. 

I still think we need to go into the Summer with the intention that we can improve upon both him and Ramsey. It’s not coincidence that McGinn’s form has been a lot better when a) he’s playing in a position that suits his skillset more, and b) he has a real fight on his hands to get into the team. 

Competition is healthy. If we’re in a position next season where Ramsey and McGinn are starting on the bench, we’ll be challenging for Europe as we’ll have got the Summer window right. 

Agree wholeheartedly, Ramsey and McGin are solid Premier League players and for where we are currently arguably starters for us. 

If we want to push on them I think we need to attract players that will be better than the above two or at least providing them with a stern fight for the shirt. 

If we’re in that position we’ll be progressing.

2 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Yeah I agree with you, he was undeniably poor. Not sure how I feel about him not seeing that, although the full article is behind a paywall so can't see it in its full context.

Also, who's he referring to? That quote doesn't mention the fans, but 'people who had been at Villa a long, long time' what?

2 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

I wonder who he is talking about. I think he is the 2nd longest serving player at the club

Is Jed Steer having a pop at him or does he mean Gabby types in the media

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I wonder who he is talking about. I think he is the 2nd longest serving player at the club

I think he was talking about Danks and Cutler who dropped him immediately after Gerrard was sacked.

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think you're right, people in the media.

3 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I think he was talking about Danks and Cutler who dropped him immediately after Gerrard was sacked.

Danks had hardly been at Villa a long, long time had he? And if it was a dig at Danks, it would be a bit pathetic. But I really don't think it was.

Edited by Tom13

11 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Danks had hardly been at Villa a long, long time had he? And if it was a dig at Danks, it would be a bit pathetic. But I really don't think it was.

Danks joined just before Smith got sacked

• Thanks 1

Whichever way McGinn wants to spin it, the truth is he was dreadful for a long time before getting himself into Emery's plans. It's all well and good blaming others but sometimes you need to look at yourself and sort the problems out. He's was poor under Smith at the death and Gerrard throughout his tenure. He's been excellent the last month but lets not get carried away because prior to that he was on most peoples outgoing list. 

I'm glad he's got himself back in the picture but he needs to keep improving.

• Like 2

Â