John McGinn

PompeyVillan

2 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

His best period of the match was in the last 10 mins, where he just played simple passes and got on the end of some through-balls. Should.have scored.

The Hollywood passes, or the tricky killer balls work infrequently and end up giving possession away. 

I think he would be better in a system where we play with high wingers stretching defenses - which creates more space that McGinn can run into like we saw there. I don't think he does well in tight spaces being pressed. 

This whole McGinn situation is actually sad to watch in a way.

All the credit in the bank and great memories he has with us are in danger of being washed over.

He simply seems to be getting worse.

Even if he comes back into the team at some point, it's clear he needs time out of the firing line at least.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

However, I'm not sure Kamara is the defensive midfielder we are hoping for. Tonight,  he made several fouls and was lucky not to be carded. I'd personally like to see us be brave enough to throw Tim Iroegbunam in alongside Kamara and play Dougie ahead of them. 

Slippy g should have started with that midfield and formation from the start. Kamara is getting overloaded every game and needs Tim next to him.

Mcginn needs a mysterious injury for a few weeks so this can happen as that's the only way I can see it being used. You would think we would use it against west ham but I bet we don't.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I have to agree with this. McGinn just needs to be taken out for a while now and maybe used as a sub with 20-30 minutes left to add his energy to a tiring midfield. 

However, I'm not sure Kamara is the defensive midfielder we are hoping for. Tonight,  he made several fouls and was lucky not to be carded. I'd personally like to see us be brave enough to throw Tim Iroegbunam in alongside Kamara and play Dougie ahead of them. 

Sign of a great DMC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Kind of funny that he took the captaincy off Mings, seemingly because he thought he couldn't handle the pressure, only to give it to McGinn who has utterly crumbled to dust and shows far less resilience and leadership than Mings ever did.

It's time for a long spell out of the team, I'm sad to say.

Tbh for me mcginn is putting in the exact same quality of performances as he has a on a regular basis the only difference is he is our captain now so people are looking at him more. It's the exact same with questioning mings or how people were saying mcginn was better than Grealish when we were first promoted. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I have to agree with this. McGinn just needs to be taken out for a while now and maybe used as a sub with 20-30 minutes left to add his energy to a tiring midfield. 

Tbf that's because we were throwing a lot forward so was behind his man when making the challenges. But they were the right challenges to make. And he did it in a way that avoided a card. If he just clipped the heels that's a booking but getting close and bodying them you stay out of the book. 

1 hour ago, a m ole said:

I want him to be an effective part of this squad, play when we need a goal and have to counter quickly, or against top opposition where we’re not gonna have the ball. I love him, I just want us to use him as part of a squad.

Pretty much how I feel.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Tbh for me mcginn is putting in the exact same quality of performances as he has a on a regular basis the only difference is he is our captain now so people are looking at him more. It's the exact same with questioning mings or how people were saying mcginn was better than Grealish when we were first promoted. 

That's not true at all though is it? McGinn has been questioned and criticised (usually fairly so IMO) a long time before he was made captain.

23 minutes ago, trillvillan said:

Surely he's gotta drop his ego and own up to this one. 

Bite the bullet - just give Mings back the captaincy. And then move on. 

He then can drop McGinn and I think the rest will do him a world of good actually. 

It honestly wouldn't even be that embarrassing if he straight up just went "I was trying to put my stamp on the team, but I made a mistake" of course he will never do that and even if he did I'm sure he'd have a half dozen excuses to throw the rest of our team under the bus. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

To be fair Smith had an absolute blind spot for his poor performances as well. I can't decide if it's just that managers like him because he keeps trying, or if there's really something that managers see that fans don't, but I've gone from thinking it's more likely to be the latter to more likely the former in recent months.

Emile Heskey syndrome.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

That's not true at all though is it? McGinn has been questioned and criticised (usually fairly so IMO) a long time before he was made captain.

I think by a portion of the fan base me included. He was criticises prior. 

I'm pretty sure I was the first poster on here to regularly criticise McGinn's performances -  as I was calling for him to rest before he injured himslef vs Southampton (and I suspect he got injured because he was frustrated with his performances).

However for the casual fan it's really highlighted how dire he's been. For me he's making the exact same decisions and mistakes as he has been. Except he hasn't cost us multiple goals by completely losing his man on the edge of the area leading to a free shot. Except for the disallowed goal Palace scored. 

Edited by MotoMkali
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, trillvillan said:

He then can drop McGinn and I think the rest will do him a world of good actually. 

Been thinking similar.

One of the Vice Captains is out for the season as well.

Or easiest might be to bench him and have Martinez as Defacto Captain.

Would have actually been the safest option from the beginning if it were to leave Ming's anyway.

29 minutes ago, trillvillan said:

This would have been easy if he hadn't made an even bigger rod for his own  back and least kept Ty as vice. 

Then McGinn drops out, Mings is captain, things are in order. 

Gerrard said that being captain doesn't guarantee a starting spot, but then Gerrard says a lot of things. 

We'll see. 

1 minute ago, Mazrim said:

This guy is an oaf. He couldn't trap a bag of **** cement. I'm sick of seeing him in a Villa shirt now. He makes Gavin McCann look like Sid Cowans.

To be fair if you punched Gavin in the face really really hard, he would look at little like Sid…

Glad a few others are now cottoning on to the fact that McGinn isn’t all that. I thought he looked as clunky as always today, he has a really awkward tackling style that invites refs to penalise him even if it is a clean tackle. Really strange. I have the sense that when he is eventually dropped we will begin to kick on.

Â