John McGinn

PompeyVillan

8 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

It's not about being braver on the ball/attempting more passes, I mean if you have the ball you have to attempt a pass unless you're tackled.

It's about being brave enough to receive the ball and showing yourself/finding space to receive it. When a game is tight, McGinn lacks the confidence to do this.

I don't even think its confidence. In fact I would argue he suffers from arrogance too iften. My main gripe with him is attempting a Hollywood ball or shot where there are more effective and quicker options available. He will also take an age to decide to move the ball after a Ray Wilkins crab-like movement by which time we've lost impetus and our attackers are contained. Frustrating.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Again, you are assuming he will be. 

Gabby was club captain for most of the 2015/2016 season and played in 15 games, a number of which were as substitute. 

And again, you have no idea what he brings to that dressing room, none of us do. 

You also have no idea how he will adapt to the role because he's not played it yet. 

How about giving people a chance before utterly writing them off? 

If someone has a time machine and has gone into the future and seen that we are bottom, McGinn flops horribly, Stevie has been sacked by October, and it's all hopeless, etc etc, then I wish they would tell me what next week's lottery numbers are (I would start doing the lottery).  

And what a great season that was....not.

6 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I don't even think its confidence. In fact I would argue he suffers from arrogance too iften. My main gripe with him is attempting a Hollywood ball or shot where there are more effective and quicker options available. He will also take an age to decide to move the ball after a Ray Wilkins crab-like movement by which time we've lost impetus and our attackers are contained. Frustrating.

100%. He'll hit the odd lofted ball which will be a success, but IMO he ruins most patient buildups by trying them. And that's because as soon as it gets tight, which it will in the final third, he panics.

Edited by Tom13

10 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

That probably means he is nailed on to join us 😀. Have u not noticed that Villa's transfers tend to conducted outside of the media and are be a bit of a surprise when they happen, we only ever see credible links to players that we purchase about 2 or 3 days prior to announcing the player as ours.

We do keep things very quiet but I just don't get any sign that we are going to be any more active in this window, especially with McGinn taking the captaincy when in reality he should be worrying about his starting place next season.

Just now, VillaFaninLondon said:

We do keep things very quiet but I just don't get any sign that we are going to be any more active in this window, especially with McGinn taking the captaincy when in reality he should be worrying about his starting place next season.

I think we would have heard something from the club to suggest our transfer business was over if they didn't intend getting another player in. I believe we are open to another player but only if it is the right player and at the right price. We look to have finally got smart at transfers and get specific targets in for specific positions, the hit and hope approach is no longer. Gerrard is probably happy with the squad he has for the coming season but imo the club will move for the right player if the opportunity presents itself and I believe that Lange et al are looking for those opportunities

I think one of the big challenges for McGinn will be to try and ensure that the dressing room doesn’t split into cliques or factions, I love that the South American contingent all spend time together but equally, that could become an issue if it causes a divide of sorts.

Would be nice to see Countinho and Emi etc posting videos with some of the other players in the squad.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sne said:

Thing is I don't think the way we play is a good way to play or that it will be successful. I think we should move away from that style. Also don't think it's the best way to utilize the players we have.

Imo we wan't Coutinho or Buendia to have the ball as much as possible in good areas rather than having Ings or Watkins trying to trap a long ball. Personal preference of course.  McGinn is better at the latter and that's fine, but it doesn't suit the players we have IMO.

Gerrard knows, football, sees them at practice, great player... Yeah I know, all valid points. Just stating why I would have done differently.

FWIW, I agree - and the challenge is making that attacking middle of the park click. It’s a major issue that we have both Buendia and Coutinho and probably need to have them both playing.

I don’t think the majority of McGinn’s long balls are in to Watkins/Ings though. He seems to switch the ball a lot; out to Digne in particular. He’s pretty much the only player who seems to do this, which is generally a big benefit as it creates space but can also be a con if the opposition is organised as the balls tend to be lofted and slower rather than driven and quicker.

But yeah, I’d personally look to be dropping Coutinho or having he and McGinn as the rotation options in the more advanced central mid role with Buendia ahead of that role and 2 attackers hopefully being fed by Buendia and the wing backs.

It’s a challenge for sure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

I think we would have heard something from the club to suggest our transfer business was over if they didn't intend getting another player in. I believe we are open to another player but only if it is the right player and at the right price. We look to have finally got smart at transfers and get specific targets in for specific positions, the hit and hope approach is no longer. Gerrard is probably happy with the squad he has for the coming season but imo the club will move for the right player if the opportunity presents itself and I believe that Lange et al are looking for those opportunities

I agree with this, and I also think reducing the squad is a priority for us too, I'd imagine a few fringe players will need to leave before any other player comes in. We can't just stockpile footballers.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

I agree with this, and I also think reducing the squad is a priority for us too, I'd imagine a few fringe players will need to leave before any other player comes in. We can't just stockpile footballers.

If other clubs don't want to buy them then there is not a lot we could do on this. Even if we send a few out on loan no doubt we will have to pay a fair chunk of the wage.  I thought the pre Gerrard idea was to buy young players and sell them on for a profit. The only one was Grealish who was a youth product player.

2 hours ago, RichiBoi11 said:

Whilst these stats on his low passing are true, in isolation I don't think they reflect the whole picture. Yes he could be braver on the ball and attempt more passes, as could the other midfielders around him (Ramsey is the other player with criminally low numbers) but part of the issue is that for large portions of the season the midfield was completely bypassed as we would simply play the ball along our own back line, maybe in to Luiz in CDM, back to a centre back and then go long. In those scenarios the likes of McGinn won't be able to complete as many passes as they won't have as many opportunities to even get the ball.

The style has to fundamentally change and involve the midfield in more build up. Hopefully Kamara will help with this moving forwards.

Yes - this all over.  Luiz gets the ball from Mings, passes it back in to the defence and the ball goes long.  It happened far too frequently.

(But, hey, it boosted Luiz' passing stats and kept the ball away from Ramsey and McGinn to show they "hide away from the ball"...)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

If other clubs don't want to buy them then there is not a lot we could do on this. Even if we send a few out on loan no doubt we will have to pay a fair chunk of the wage.  I thought the pre Gerrard idea was to buy young players and sell them on for a profit. The only one was Grealish who was a youth product player.

Yeah considering the profile of players we were signing we don't have that many saleable assets on the fringes of the squad.

24 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Yes - this all over.  Luiz gets the ball from Mings, passes it back in to the defence and the ball goes long.  It happened far too frequently.

(But, hey, it boosted Luiz' passing stats and kept the ball away from Ramsey and McGinn to show they "hide away from the ball"...)

A bit harsh on Luiz, who grew up no doubt playing in systems where you keep the ball, not treat it like a hot potato.
If Mings hoofed it after receiving the ball its not Luiz's fault. I'd rather midfielders, especially those screening the back 4, used the open defender to take a pass instead of trying to just get it upfield under pressure. The likes of Carlos, Chambers and Kamara will massively help keep the ball and use it better in that type of scenario.

Overall, and in my opinion, Luiz is just a better passer of the ball than McGinn. Not only in decision making but execution.

1 minute ago, Mazrim said:

A bit harsh on Luiz, who grew up no doubt playing in systems where you keep the ball, not treat it like a hot potato.
If Mings hoofed it after receiving the ball its not Luiz's fault. I'd rather midfielders, especially those screening the back 4, used the open defender to take a pass instead of trying to just get it upfield under pressure. The likes of Carlos, Chambers and Kamara will massively help keep the ball and use it better in that type of scenario.

Overall, and in my opinion, Luiz is just a better passer of the ball than McGinn. Not only in decision making but execution.

I'm not blaming Luiz - and I think he is a better passer of the ball than McGinn.  That's just the reality of a lot of our play.

Where McGinn is "better" than Luiz is that he moves the ball relatively quickly and often receives it under pressure.  Luiz received it in more space but preferred to (or was instructed to) pass shorter and it often went back to the defenders.

No one will convince me that a manager has chosen to play two central midfielders who "hide away from the ball".  It's **** nonsense :D 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â