UFC/Pride/MMA

Gabby15

I thoroughly enjoyed Bruce Leroy's performance, awesome entrance song, awesome dancing, awesome made up striking and a decent finish too. Pettis Jr needs to move to 125 though, he looked tiny.

Agree that Thompson was unlucky with the decision. It was close in fairness but if he hasn't broken his hand he'd have probably earned a UD.

Pettis Jr needs to move to 125 though, he looked tiny.

Yep, When you think about how massive someone like Barao is, Pettis will be manhandled in every fight as soon as he reaches the upper echelons, and I think he will, but as you say, at 125. Potential galore in the kid.

It looks like a reasonable card in London. Main event aside, there's Uncle Creepy and Pickett as well as Gunnar against another new scary looking Russian Sambo guy.

Hopefully tonights event can make up for Villa losing. It's an incredible card.

• Like 1

Crappiest event in a long time. Farce judging in the Patrick - Makdessi and Kong - Catone fights. Herbs way early stop of Faber, even though Barao stunned him. And on top of that, ultra-boring fights.

Saving grace being Trujillo - Varner and Iaquinta - Lee. Shame Varner got knocked out, he looked great and the KO was really a hail mary by a very staggered Trujillo.

Edited by Tegis

Disappointing event, but despite Dana's criticism I thought Reem looked good. He needed to guarantee a win or he'd be out the door and he still dropped and battered Mir. Hopefully this is the start of a stage of his career where he takes his opponents seriously.

I'm a pyjama wrassler. I do a bit of nogi but its too much like hard work. I karated when I was a nipper, but TMAs & kata was just not my thing at all.

I love boxing / kick boxing but I **** hate getting hit in the head so I only train kick boxing properly (sparring) very rarely for a change of scenery. I hit a bag for a bit of stress relief but bag no hit back.

I judo as well, but that happens about as often as a Villa home win.

• Like 1

I started out in Karate for a few years then went onto Judo for a little bit...then stopped for a few years and started Wing Chun, then moved to Jeet Kune Do (JKD).

Since 1998 I've been practising Tai Chi Chuan (Taijiquan) and Qigong which I firmly believe is a higher martial art; i've studied in China, notably Beijing and Wudangshan and will be going back next year for a month or so of intensive training.

My friend is a Judo teacher so I used to practise a bit with him; there aren't many differences between systems when you get to a high level and i often think of them as like differentiating between two bottles of wine which fundamentally are the same thing but may have been prepared in slightly different ways.

I think this is why I prefer certain fighters to others, people like Lyoto Machida have a classical background but has adapted those skills to be useful in the sport of MMA. This as you may already know is pretty much the philosophy behind JKD which Bruce Lee pioneered to seperate martial artists who were blinded by classical systems and overly loyal to them. Lee spoke about using the best techniques from varying styles and also mastering the three ranges of combat i.e kicking, boxing and grappling range although Lee's maxim was never box a boxer, never kick with a kicker and never grapple with a grappler but try to impose your will over theirs!

J. 'Bones' Jones is very into JKD and he definitely is inspired by it. Tim Boetsch and Ben Saunders are other JKD fighters, there are more....

Apologies, i'm waffling on :rolleyes:

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

As this is an MA thread I wondered if those who post here train and therefore what do you practise, why do you practise and for how long have you practised?

I've practiced Muay Thai for eighteen years now.

All that time practicing you would have thought I'd have passed by now.

Edited by 8pints
  • Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â