Israel, Palestine and Iran

Swerbs

12 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

It's time for the real UN to step in and do what the UN is supposed to, not just perennially keep on keeping on.

It's great to hear calls for the UN to step in - you might say they've been involved for sometime. I propose Israel starts by listening to the UN's court.

17 minutes ago, Jareth said:

It's great to hear calls for the UN to step in - you might say they've been involved for sometime. I propose Israel starts by listening to the UN's court.

Agree 100%.

I also think it's time for the UN to dismantle UNRWA. How much more do we need to see before it's enough? The process around the Colonna report should be enough to get the whole leadership of UNRWA dismissed. How can you even do a report before you've checked the evidence about the employees who are now fired?

We're in need of doing something new. UN peacekeepers from neutral nations (not China, Iran, ME, USA, 'the West', Russia) would be a start. Hamas/PIJ and Likud and its right wing loony friends needs to be sent somewhere.

This also 100% dismisses the trope of 'Israel didn't provide any evidence about UNRWA' line that UNRWA and its supporters spread, it's due to Israel's evidence that the UN are now having to backtrack on UNRWA.

Edited by magnkarl

5 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Agree 100%.

I also think it's time for the UN to dismantle UNRWA. How much more do we need to see before it's enough? The process around the Colonna report should be enough to get the whole leadership of UNRWA dismissed. How can you even do a report before you've checked the evidence about the employees who are now fired?

We're in need of doing something new. UN peacekeepers from neutral nations (not China, Iran, ME, USA, 'the West', Russia) would be a start. Hamas/PIJ and Likud and its right wing loony friends needs to be sent somewhere.

This also 100% dismisses the trope of 'Israel didn't provide any evidence about UNRWA' line that UNRWA and its supporters spread, it's due to Israel's evidence that the UN are now having to backtrack on UNRWA.

Agree too on neutral peacekeepers - has  to be the only way forwards, once the imminent wider war is over. If there's anything left.

Spicy.

Smotrich: It may be ‘justified’ to starve 2 million Gazans, but world won’t let us

“We bring in aid because there is no choice,” Smotrich said at a conference in Yad Binyamin hosted by the right-wing Israel Hayom outlet. “We can’t, in the current global reality, manage a war. Nobody will let us cause 2 million civilians to die of hunger, even though it might be justified and moral, until our hostages are returned.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/smotrich-it-may-be-justified-to-starve-2-million-gazans-but-world-wont-let-us/

They're untouchable until the US pulls unquestioning support. The only concern they may have is whether the US is prepared to let the individuals take the fall when the dust settles.

• Like 1

Russia supplying Iran with weapons.

Time for Israel to find its moral compass and direct their anger where its due, Iran, Russia and their proxies. 

Give Ukraine the earlier Merkavas sitting around and share technology. It feels very much like we're in a build up to a larger war. Anything that ties Russia down is a good thing, means less stuff in Ukraine.

Edited by magnkarl

Think tonight could see Iran launch another strike directly against Israel. NOTAMS have gone out for civilians to avoid Lebanese and Iranian airspace.

We’ll see. 

91D36002-9316-4107-9757-1C2AC1EFC105.jpeg

50FFF62B-ACBE-47D4-992D-297DB32C98FD.jpeg

On 06/08/2024 at 13:34, magnkarl said:

Russia supplying Iran with weapons.

Time for Israel to find its moral compass and direct their anger where its due, Iran, Russia and their proxies. 

Give Ukraine the earlier Merkavas sitting around and share technology. It feels very much like we're in a build up to a larger war. Anything that ties Russia down is a good thing, means less stuff in Ukraine.

Yes I agree I think we are looking at something much larger. Very sad.

The US, Germany, France and UK have all moved assets to the Med, likely to take out incoming missiles and drones.

The US might take their gloves off an go after Hezbollah launch sites.

The root of the issue is Iran and Russia. I wish we'd help Ukraine like we are helping Israel, because at this point they're getting away with doing horrible things and spreading violence abroad. 

If we can protect Israeli airspace we can do the same in Ukraine.

Oops.

UN Launches Probe Into Anti-Israel Rapporteur for Allegedly Accepting Trip Funded by Pro-Hamas Organizations

Albanese outright denied that her trip was funded by Palestinian lobbying organizations, insisting that the UN footed the bill.

Australian Friends of Palestine Association (AFOPA), an organization that lobbies Australian politicians on behalf of the pro-Palestinian cause, claimed on its website that it “sponsored Ms. Albanese’s visit to Australia” to speak at its annual Edward Said Memorial Lecture in Adelaide. During the lecture, Albanese thanked AFOPA for “organizing such a busy visit,” in which she met with numerous Australian politicians and foreign ministry officials. 

Hard to take anything the lady says seriously.

A British Foreign Office official who worked on counter terrorism has resigned in protest at arms sales to Israel, saying the UK government “may be complicit in war crimes”.

Mr Smith said he had previously worked in Middle East arms export licensing assessment for the government and “each day” colleagues were witnessing “clear and unquestionable examples” of war crimes and breaches of international humanitarian law by Israel in Gaza.

“Senior members of the Israeli government and military have expressed open genocidal intent, Israeli soldiers take videos deliberately burning, destroying and looting civilian property,” he wrote.

This a story wedged in relatively low down the BBC homepage - it should be a headline

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cyvpm1049d9o

I mean, our country is complicit in genocide. Whatever the reason for this pause on a decision while a review is carried out, it stinks to high heaven. All morality is lost if this is not dealt with properly and soon. 

44 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I mean, our country is complicit in genocide. Whatever the reason for this pause on a decision while a review is carried out, it stinks to high heaven. All morality is lost if this is not dealt with properly and soon. 

We've been complicit in war crimes for a very long time.

Yemen (in particular), Dresden, Hamburg, Afghanistan, Mosul.

The difference between us and the likes of Russia, China, Iran, Hezbollah, Hamas and probably Israel is that we investigate and prosecute - and off the back of that try to not do it again. War crimes show how blindingly ineffective the UN is, even small nations like Azerbaijan and Armenia deployed banned munitions very recently and get away with it scot free. 

6 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

We've been complicit in war crimes for a very long time.

Yemen (in particular), Dresden, Hamburg, Afghanistan, Mosul.

The difference between us and the likes of Russia, China, Iran, Hezbollah, Hamas and probably Israel is that we investigate and prosecute - and off the back of that try to not do it again. War crimes show how blindingly ineffective the UN is, even small nations like Azerbaijan and Armenia deployed banned munitions very recently and get away with it scot free. 

We are failing to investigate and prosecute as it stands, unless Lammy's review of the legal opinion should somehow bear fruit soon. The evidence has never been as immediate or as compelling yet we remain mute on this very urgent situation. It is more urgent when we are supplying the weapons that are killing women and children and innocent men. I do not understand the hold up.  

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â