Israel, Palestine and Iran (and Lebanon)

Swerbs

1 hour ago, delboy54 said:

Interesting, where did that data come from? How many were polled.?

Need to understand that continually launching indiscriminate missiles for years into Israel should also be regarded as "war crimes".

Or is it that if Israel does it, it's a warm crime, if the terrorists do it, it's not a war crime?

Allow me - https://yougov.co.uk/politics/articles/48907-war-crimes-in-gaza-most-britons-think-both-sides-are-likely-guilty

Those who sympathise most with Israel are split on how likely they are to have committed war crimes

Covers perceptions of the other side's crimes too, but is there any doubt Hamas the terrorist organisation do war crimes?. And it's from March, so I'm not sure one could imagine opinion has reversed much, given what's happened. 

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Allow me - https://yougov.co.uk/politics/articles/48907-war-crimes-in-gaza-most-britons-think-both-sides-are-likely-guilty

Covers perceptions of the other side's crimes too, but is there any doubt Hamas the terrorist organisation do war crimes?. And it's from March, so I'm not sure one could imagine opinion has reversed much, given what's happened. 

We this whole thing you’re doing with the 67% of Britons thing is firstly nonsense because it’s one poll and secondly I don’t even get what point you’re trying to get across. Both sides have committed war crimes, in a war where both sides want to wipe each other out. Is anyone shocked?  The one thing you do keep omitting from that poll is that more Britons think Hamas has committed war crimes. You could even say that more Britons think Hamas is committing war crimes than Israel but at the end of the day, so what? Both sides are, it’s obvious. What point do you think you’re making? Because you aren’t making it well and it’s all based on one poll, the type of poll that is never that accurate anyway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bickster said:

We this whole thing you’re doing with the 67% of Britons thing is firstly nonsense because it’s one poll and secondly I don’t even get what point you’re trying to get across. Both sides have committed war crimes, in a war where both sides want to wipe each other out. Is anyone shocked?  The one thing you do keep omitting from that poll is that more Britons think Hamas has committed war crimes. You could even say that more Britons think Hamas is committing war crimes than Israel but at the end of the day, so what? Both sides are, it’s obvious. What point do you think you’re making? Because you aren’t making it well and it’s all based on one poll, the type of poll that is never that accurate anyway.

I was making the point to @magnkarl that a lot of folks in the UK recognise what is happening in Israel (and this is daily because it happens every day since Oct 7th) - without being pro Palestinian protestors (this is me), or by association at all forgiving of Hamas' actions (also me). And then someone else asked to see the poll, so I duly obliged (despite having posted it earlier in the thread anyway to cite my use of the figure). 

In short, we were both saying we aint pro one side or the other! Whilst subtly accusing each other regardless. 

Edited by Jareth

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

I was making the point to @magnkarl that a lot of folks in the UK recognise what is happening in Israel (and this is daily because it happens every day since Oct 7th) - without being pro Palestinian protestors (this is me), or by association at all forgiving of Hamas' actions (also me). And then someone else asked to see the poll, so I duly obliged (despite having posted it earlier in the thread anyway to cite my use of the figure). 

In short, we were both saying we aint pro one side or the other! Whilst subtly accusing each other regardless. 

Yeah but no-one cares what the UK population as a whole think, without putting too finer point on it, we're irrelevant and the other poster wasn't being UK specific that I can tell.

I also doubt that any more than 30% of the UK population know or care what goes on in Gaza / Israel / Lebanon / Iran / Yemen

That's why its a really odd point you're attempting to make

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yeah but no-one cares what the UK population as a whole think, without putting too finer point on it, we're irrelevant and the other poster wasn't being UK specific that I can tell.

I also doubt that any more than 30% of the UK population know or care what goes on in Gaza / Israel / Lebanon / Iran / Yemen

That's why its a really odd point you're attempting to make

With respect, there are other polls, and they show an awareness of the issue far in excess of the 30% you have personally come up with off the top of your head, and also you've called the survey bollocks in the first place. You're dismissive of it - fine, doesn't mean you're right. And as for the point I'm making being odd - how is it odd to point out that most Britons (as per the survey) who think Israel are doing war crimes, also happen to see both sides? Why is that odd? 

8 minutes ago, Jareth said:

With respect, there are other polls, and they show an awareness of the issue far in excess of the 30% you have personally come up with off the top of your head, and also you've called the survey bollocks in the first place. You're dismissive of it - fine, doesn't mean you're right. And as for the point I'm making being odd - how is it odd to point out that most Britons (as per the survey) who think Israel are doing war crimes, also happen to see both sides? Why is that odd? 

I'm dismissive of any single survey, especially one that doesn't seem to have any don't knows.

EDIT: Found the don't knows but even that raises more questions (Because they don't seem to be in the results)

Its odd to point out what Britons think because were absolutely irrelevant and a very small subset of the world.

It makes about as much sense as polling all the Welsh speakers in Patagonia on Israel.

On 10/10/2024 at 16:02, Chindie said:

Israelis attacking UN personal again. 

They are so unlucky with how often the UN gets in the way of their munitions.

And again. 

They are just words removed, really.

For Israel’s side, they claim to have  identified militants near the UN patrolled area and asked the UN soldiers to leave to allow a clear shot. The UN confirm they received requests to leave but refused.

The UN soldiers claim they cannot effectively operate peace keeping patrols because it is too dangerous and remain confined to their base. 

Also worth noting that the UN was supposed to stop Hezbollah from turning South Lebanon into a massive missile launch site and failed that about 5 minutes after they were brought in.

As I see it, it is a waste of UN resources to try to stop a war between Iranian proxies and Israel. None of them have shown that they want to actually achieve peace, so why are the UN persisting with this nonsense. They should move three tiles down to Sudan and stop the RSF from butchering millions of people rather than holding Hezbollah's hands as they do exactly what they agreed they shouldn't do.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â