Israel, Palestine and Iran (and Lebanon)

Swerbs

26 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Will the war with Hamas ever be done with? 

Considering Israel has radicalised about half a million kids, unlikely. There will be horrible and frequent reprisals for a very long time. Anyone with any connection to the country should be screaming for it to stop. 

It won't make any difference. The good of Palestine doesn't align with any of the powers that be's aims, therefore any attempts to appeal to humanity or morality are forlorn.

On 19/07/2024 at 18:26, Jareth said:

Israel is this generation's south africa, on steroids. Absolutely indefensible on every level.

There's very little similarity.

South Africa didn't have trouble because of endless wars back and forth between neighbors and religions, it had issues due to a racist apartheid government. In the scope of Israel it's a country in an area where everyone is permanently at war with everyone, and it's the only non-Arab and Muslim country left in an area of the world that has been ethnically cleansed of pretty much every ethnic and religious minority there was. Lebanon used to be a secular, mainly Coptic Christian nation famed for its universities and beautiful culture and cities. Then the pan-Arabian militias showed up.

Israel is quite obviously wrong on many levels - but I don't really see the similarities to South Africa. There wasn't an element of pretty much all of South Africa's neighbors invading and occupying parts of it and then crying foul when the racist government responded. No matter how you look at Israel it has two parties who carry fault and refuse to admit or negotiate on anything because the powers that be on both sides profit from the wars and claiming victimhood while the people of each country carry the brunt of the violence from the other side.

While Israel clearly has some racist policies in place many of the Arabs who have citizenship live much better lives than what they'd do in neighbouring Arab nations, higher wages, better health care, they can join the armed forces, become judges and be politically active. 

As much as the hyperbole and posturing with big words like genocide, apartheid and ethnic cleansing makes the supporters of each side feel good about themselves, it helps the mediation and coming to terms with the reality even harder. Someone needs to get the leadership of both sides to stop being petulant children, give concessions where need be, and to stop furthering the spiral of violence at any cost. No party is innocent here, even though both camps like to think they are.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sne said:

This is 100% for the internal audience. Erdogan has a bone to pick with Assad and Hezbollah, so I much rather see him going deeper into Syria.

Hezbollah is giving Israel great justifications by lobbing stuff at kids. I'm guessing it'll flare up in Lebanon any day now.

2 hours ago, magnkarl said:

Hezbollah is giving Israel great justifications by lobbing stuff at kids.

Wait, lobbing stuff at kids is an acceptable justification now?

Erm...

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Wait, lobbing stuff at kids is an acceptable justification now?

Erm...

As much as it is for Palestinians I guess. Which is why it is quite frightening to see the silence of people plastering stuff about Palestinian kids day in and out totally refusing that kids dying on any side is a really really bad thing because Israel somehow deserves it. Echo chambers and all that.

This argument goes both ways. Where are the outcries of dead kids when the other side does it? Give it some days and the usual suspects will be back posting twitter stuff about kids again, just not the ones from the side they don't like. It's so pesky when the narrative fails one's moral compass.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, magnkarl said:

Haniyeh killed in Iran.

Good news. 

Pretty impressive by Mossad to be able to assassinate him in Iran to be fair. 

6 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Seems it was a missile straight into his window.

6 minutes ago, villa89 said:

They are the best in the world at it. 

Israel probably doesn't want to sour their relations with Qatar by taking him out there so they wait until he is in Iran. Potentially killing a bunch of Qatari looks bad, killing Iranians, Syrians or Lebanese is no biggie.

It's just weird to me that Israel and Qatar operate like this, with Qatar's funding for several of the groups that attack Israel, and Israel's very stated issue with that. Realpolitik I guess.

11 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

It's just weird to me that Israel and Qatar operate like this, with Qatar's funding for several of the groups that attack Israel, and Israel's very stated issue with that. Realpolitik I guess.

Qatar have good relations with important Israeli allies and sells a lot of Oil and Gas to Europe. Israel can't piss them off. Nobody likes Iran apart from Russia.  

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â