Israel, Palestine and Iran (and Lebanon)

Swerbs

On 11/06/2024 at 06:51, magnkarl said:

Note the term nonviolent:

BBC

A plea bargain goes a long way in admitting that you are guilty of at least part of what you are charged for.

Did you used to work for the Post Office....

16 minutes ago, peterw said:

Did you used to work for the Post Office....

I just don't particularly like the way both sets of supporters in this conflict outright lie about everything to spin their narrative. Enough people are dying, we don't need more division - and outright lying about people who are caught on camera assaulting police officers being 'non violent' is hardly helpful. It furthers this picture of the helpless non-violent brave Palestinian cause that does nothing wrong and is always oppressed. It often turns out the truth is not exactly that.

The Tamimi family is happy though, they've become rich off of a book portraying the girl 'just speaking up' (while biting and hitting police officers) as non-violent and innocent.

Edited by magnkarl

On 15/06/2024 at 09:19, omariqy said:

Sorry to ruin your day but that isn't what Gantz is saying. My Hebrew isn't great but here's what he says:

"The terms of the deal were eventually agreed between us and the negotations team, and was presented to Hamas as decided. Hamas did not accept".

Mehdi has his own biases, among other things from working for now ridiculed Al Jazeera for years. At this point his past colours him in about the same way as it does George Galloway for working with Press TV, how he can call himself a 'liberal' while working for one of the most fundamentalist #¤%-holes in the world who have been funding the Muslim Brotherhood for years is beyond me, but hey. Only liberal when it comes to complaining about how horrid it is to be in the West..

Edited by magnkarl

34 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

I just don't particularly like the way both sets of supporters in this conflict outright lie about everything 

nor me, this needs to stop …

34 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

The Tamimi family is happy though, they've become rich off of a book portraying the girl 'just speaking up' (while biting and hitting police officers) as non-violent and innocent.

Oh…but the book “I am a lioness” and the book “a girl who fought back” don’t portray her as just speaking up, they describe how she physically hit an armed IDF soldier 

Watching Mehdi Hasan be totally dismantled in the debate at the Munk Institute by Douglas Murray the other day just shows how dumb Mehdi is. Douglas Murray is absolutely no favourite of mine as I think he's a right wing loony, but if Mehdi can't string his arguments better together he really doesn't deserve the money Qatar are paying him to spread their disinformation.

I particularly enjoyed the part where Mehdi used his opening remarks to 'quote' Balfour in saying Jews were alien and hostile, and then a very wise lady retorted with the actual quote from Balfour 'mitigate the age-long miseries created for western civilization by the presence in its midst of a Body which it too long regarded as alien and even hostile, but which it was equally unable to expel or to absorb. Surely, for this if for no other reason, it should receive our support.' Mehdi was completely deflated after that. He's just creating his own little weird world.

Edited by magnkarl

Think we’re getting closer to the second front in Southern Lebanon. If anyone here has people in country, they should probably be looking to leave quite soon.

One of the main munition storage sites of Hezbollah is at Beirut airport and that will be destroyed on day one - taking the airport with it. 

59 minutes ago, Awol said:

Think we’re getting closer to the second front in Southern Lebanon. If anyone here has people in country, they should probably be looking to leave quite soon.

One of the main munition storage sites of Hezbollah is at Beirut airport and that will be destroyed on day one - taking the airport with it. 

Yes, it does look rather worrying, doesn't it?

It's a bit of strange one though. Can't imagine Israel sending ground troops into Lebanon without winding down the war in Gaza first, because they'll probably struggle with the manpower. But if they do wind down the war in Gaza then the rocket attacks from Lebanon are likely to stop too. Guess they'll just go steaming in anyway, though.

• Like 1

On 24/06/2024 at 11:49, omariqy said:

talk about human shield eh

Already being investigated, and the guy was apprehended for shooting at IDF. By all accounts that isn't a civilian.

Guardian

The Israeli military said its forces were fired at and exchanged fire, wounding a suspect and apprehending him. Soldiers then violated military protocol, the statement said. “The suspect was taken by the forces while tied on top of a vehicle,” it said.

The military said the “conduct of the forces in the video of the incident does not conform to” its values, and that the events would be investigated.

How are those internal investigations of PA, PIJ and Hamas going? 19th year of Mahmoud Abbas' four year term now, isn't it?

Edited by magnkarl

German and Dutch governments have put out requests this afternoon for their nationals to urgently leave Lebanon. They’ve gone early but others will likely follow. Getting people out well in advance of hostilities reduces the risk of Hezbollah grabbing foreign civilians as hostages. 

Edit: and now Canada, also. 

Edited by Awol

Expansion room

Israel has approved the largest seizure of land in the occupied West Bankin over three decades,… …authorities recently approved the appropriation of 12.7 square kilometers (nearly 5 square miles) of land in the Jordan Valley.

The land seizure, which was approved late last month but only publicized on Wednesday, comes after the seizure of 8 square kilometers (roughly 3 square miles) of land in the West Bank in March and 2.6 square kilometers (1 square mile) in February. 

That makes 2024 by far the peak year for Israeli land seizure in the West Bank

AP and BBC also now reporting this, obviously the reporting will ramp up if the people pushed out get violent.

Israel continues to degrade us with it's stench.

Tons has come out over the last few days about how they've treated Palestinians. Despicable.

Just watched a video of some kids playing football with people watching just get bombed. Despicable but nothing really out of the ordinary for Israel. 

This is the Lancet not Ministry of Health or Al Jazeera. Look forward to hearing how Qatar funds them and they are a proxy for the Iranian health authorities.

• Like 1

I read that article a couple of days ago, lots of detail on how many people are estimated to be simply unaccounted for, gone in the collapsed concrete buildings, probably never to be found. Simply killed, flattened dried out for 6 months, then eventually just part of the rubble when areas get cleared. I think in the bit I read, there was a conservative estimate based on data from previous conflicts estimating 10,000 would likely still be between the floors of collapsed bombed buildings.

It’s the sort of thing Kier Starmer has been very strong on in his recent tweets, about Ukraine.

I wonder what happened to the hostages being held by Hamas?   

Are they still alive and being held somewhere secure inside Gaza? 

Or are they now presumed dead?

Edited by ender4

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â