Israel, Palestine and Iran (and Lebanon)

Swerbs

Just now, pas5898 said:

If the military capabilities were swapped - Israel would have ceased to exist a long time ago.

But what's the relevancy at all?

It's like saying 'if ISIS and the US swapped military capabilities, the US would have ceased to exist a long time ago'

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It's like saying 'if ISIS and the US swapped military capabilities, the US would have ceased to exist a long time ago'

If Dagenham & Redbridge had the financial backing of Man City they would have won the CL a long time ago. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

Hamas are utterly determined to completely eradicate Israel, and if they had to means to do so they would. It's literally in their manifesto! 

Fortunately they don't.

There will never be a peace deal until Hamas are completely destroyed or they change their ideology.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Hamas are utterly determined to completely eradicate Israel, and if they had to means to do so they would. It's literally in their manifesto! 

Fortunately they don't.

There will never be a peace deal until Hamas are completely destroyed or they change their ideology.

Again, nothing to do with my point.

It's a completely irrelevant statement.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

There was an Israeli politician, Golda Meir, who said (back in the day) "If the Arabs put down their guns there would be no more fighting. If the Israelis put down theirs there would be no more Israel." Things have got worse since then and it’s no longer true in my view, but it’s still embedded in the Israel mindset and in their politicians, who regularly say the same thing. And it’s still embedded in the mindset of quite a lot of Israel’s friends in the west.  The relevance is that it is the context of a lot of the attitudes of one side of this horrible situation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Perhaps it's more of a hollow man on reflection. either way you've constructed a fallacious argument here. An extreme hypothetical scenario with an invented response to it from a vague group.

Where have people said this? especially the bit about it not mattering

Firstly, personally I'll reserve any comment or judgement on specific events until there's some verification.

Secondly, and I accept this is just my personal view, but the thing I find distasteful is playing one upmanship with people's trauma. I accept in a court of Law for sentencing purposes we have harsher sentences for 'worse' crimes but I find it hard to understand the metrics of what you call moral calculus. How does one equate (assuming it's all happened as reported for arguments sake) the grotesque actions of Hamas this week, on top of all the other grotesque actions of Hamas and all the other atrocities committed down the years by Palestinian terrorism with the grotesque behaviour of the Isreali Government and military and the daily systematic torture of millions of people over years and years? That's one hell of an algorithm.

There's a credible allegation that Hamas beheaded babies - it's been corroborated by some of the non-IDF volunteer organisations on the scene, and repeated by the President of the USA. Clearly it may well still prove to be untrue, but equally there's also a real possibility that it actually happened. The discussions taking place were about what the ramifications of that would be if it had occurred, not necessarily saying it has. However several people were claiming that beheading was no worse than bombing, or just blandly saying that killing is wrong no matter which side does it. I can quote them if you want but you can read them on pages 106-107.

The question I asked was "what would the reaction be if Israeli soldiers did this instead of Hamas?" and I really don't see how that's an extreme hypothetical scenario unless you just think Israel is far more morally pure than Hamas is. You'd be utterly outraged if Israeli troops went into Palestinian houses and beheaded babies when they move into Gaza, right? I would be. Because although I appreciate the ultimate outcome is the same, it's a more barbaric act than indirectly killing the same baby by switching off the power to Gaza or by them dropping a bomb on a Hamas team firing rockets into Israel from the building next door (although switching the power off to Gaza is itself a war crime).

As you say yourself, the principle of some deaths being worse than others is an established part of our law and ethics system. It's worse to brutally and deliberately kill someone than it is to lose control of your car and kill a pedestrian. It's similarly a big part of the laws of war - e.g. it's morally acceptable to shoot an enemy soldier, but not to shoot that same enemy soldier if they are unarmed and have surrendered. The same applies to the scenarios outlined above. Deliberately torturing and murdering civilians is worse than them ending up dead as part of a legitimate military engagement of enemy forces, and so on. I don't think you need to have a complete set of moral equations in front of you to accept that.

• Like 2

Hamas telling Gazans to stay at home in their houses, to not even move internally, is just evil on a whole new scale.

They need the people as their living shield, and they're likely hoping that Western pressure on Israel to not bomb indiscriminately will mean they're safe in their tunnels while the people die as a result of their actions.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I’m not sure 1 million people can relocate in 24 hours. Perhaps such unrealistic commands should be condemned. 

There needs to be massive international pressure on this. 

Is deliberately creating a humanitarian crisis a war crime? 

Even ignoring physically moving 1m fit and active people in 24 hours what about the infiirm and disabled? 

Birmingham is about 1m people.  My dad is bedbound.  Moving him from Hall Green to Sutton Coldfield is an impossibility. 

You're wife is in the final stages of labour. Get her on her feet for a 10 mile walk? 

It's preposterous. 

The warning is just for western eyes though isn't it. Benny doesn't give a toss, more dead gazan's =  less terrorists is his equation. because as so many people are seeking to make amply clear, all palestinians are terrorists so let's just finish off a few hundred thousand people now before they kill another few hundred of us down the line. All agreed? Lovely. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Even ignoring physically moving 1m fit and active people in 24 hours what about the infiirm and disabled? 

Birmingham is about 1m people.  My dad is bedbound.  Moving him from Hall Green to Sutton Coldfield is an impossibility. 

You're wife is in the final stages of labour. Get her on her feet for a 10 mile walk? 

It's preposterous. 

Well having googled, Gaza is a little bit bigger than Brum. But with twice as many people. They're not serious. And I think they are pretty much on genocidal territory now. But all's well cos Grant Shapps has asked the navy to park a boat nearby. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's preposterous. 

It is preposterous, but it's actually not very common to warn the local population to move because you're planning to attack it.

We didn't do it when we bombed the living crap out of Baghad or Tripoli, in example. 

Both sides keep falling further into the abyss, and after Oct 7th, bar rocket attacks from Hamas, it's the ordinary civilians of Gaza who are paying for it.

3 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Where can 1 million people flee to?

Egypt don't want them

No one wants them, especially not their neighbours. They're too busy being outraged at what Israel is doing to actually help the people who are suffering.

Egypt could do what they did back when they had control over Gaza and move in to secure it, but it would mean that they'd get even more Palestinians who are treated as second class citizens in Egypt.

Lebanese and Egyptian outrage at this attack is hypocritical, to say the least.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â