Israel, Palestine and Iran (and Lebanon)

Swerbs

2 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

You did suggest that Britain should have relocated the Jews somewhere else, mate. If you don't realise how that looks or sounds you should read a bit about the founding principles of pogroms.

The Brits are often held to blame for mistakes in the formation of Israel - if there’s one group you can ridicule in all this - it’s the British empire. 

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

The Brits are often held to blame for mistakes in the formation of Israel - if there’s one group you can ridicule in all this - it’s the British empire. 

So your answer to the mistake was to send the Jews to Australia? You know, another country in which Britain has perpetrated genocide on a fairly industrial scale, who's country is not Britain's to give away?

Even the most astute professor of ancient peoples will attribute Semittic people to the area you don't want them to be. Jews have been banished or removed from pretty much all nations they've sought to settle in, starting from ancient Egypt. Wading into the debate with relocating them to Australia is about as smart as this one here.

House of Commons - Antisemitism in the UK - Home Affairs Committee

21 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

So your answer to the mistake was to send the Jews to Australia? You know, another country in which Britain has perpetrated genocide on a fairly industrial scale, who's country is not Britain's to give away?

Even the most astute professor of ancient peoples will attribute Semittic people to the area you don't want them to be. Jews have been banished or removed from pretty much all nations they've sought to settle in, starting from ancient Egypt. Wading into the debate with relocating them to Australia is about as smart as this one here.

House of Commons - Antisemitism in the UK - Home Affairs Committee

Do you think with hindsight they might have done things differently? 

There's still 150 hostages held by Hamas, the bombing will likely kill them. If they're not already dead like that German girl. 13 Americans also killed by Hamas at the festival reported by NBC live right now, along with several Brits, French, Swedes and Hungarians.

Remember the response when ISIS did the same to UK citizens? We're not even close to the reactions we'll get if they're going to be of the same caliber.

Just now, Jareth said:

Do you think with hindsight they might have done things differently? 

What I think is that European nations should have been better at helping the Jews stay in the countries they were perfectly happy in before Germany started exterminating them. The whole solution reeks of 'keep the issue at an arm's length', just like sending them to Australia. While you can trace a lot of Jewish culture to Israel, it doesn't necessarily mean that everyone wanted to go there (my family included). A lot of people went because they were being treated pretty badly by countries like Britain, Soviet Union, France, Holland etc even after the war, so the promise of a Jewish safe haven where you had the right to defend yourself was alluring.

Generational trauma plays a lot into what is happening in Israel too, a lot of the parents of the people who are now in charge likely went to Israel to escape something and it very quickly becomes existential in their minds when they get attacked, be that by Western liberals who never experienced anything like it or by pretty much all their neighbours in wars over and over again.

24 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

What I think is that European nations should have been better at helping the Jews stay in the countries they were perfectly happy in before Germany started exterminating them. 

Generational trauma plays a lot into what is happening in Israel too, a lot of the parents of the people who are now in charge likely went to Israel to escape something and it very quickly becomes existential in their minds when they get attacked

I think these two points can be contradictory. 

It's difficult to help someone stay in a place that saw extermination. Many Jews were happy to buy into Zionism and the idea 'of their own place' after the disaster of the first half of the 20th century. And I can't blame them.

The problem is that the place which was chosen had other people in it already. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

This what we're dealing with from supporters of each side unfortunately...

It's completely bonkers. It's also completely bonkers how most of these people have likely never been to Israel or Palestine.

A lot of the people who support Palestine in London are second generation Lebanese or Egyptians. Why they're not harder on their Egypt or Lebanon when they're also pretty much treating Palestinians as second rate citizens is baffling. 

Both these groups are being whipped up by the far right in Israel and genocidal islamists in Hamas.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I think these two points can be contradictory. 

It's difficult to help someone stay in a place that saw extermination. Many Jews were happy to buy into Zionism and the idea 'of their own place' after the disaster of the first half of the 20th century. And I can't blame them.

The problem is that the place which was chosen had other people in it already. 

To some extent, yes. But to be fair racism against Jews held firm in many parts of Europe until the 80's. The amount of times I heard my dad get called 'Jid' when I was a kid is frankly off the charts. With some stronger post-WW2 discrimination laws we might've been able to keep a lot more Jews happy where they were.

39 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

This what we're dealing with from supporters of each side unfortunately...

All of these people are idiots and just exacerbating the situation, or at least wanting/trying to do so.

There has to be some calm now surely, I give it about 2-3 more days of this before  the international community begin to get really uncomfortable with their position of supporting Israel as it pens in and annihilates 2 million people in vengeful retribution.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

All of these people are idiots and just exacerbating the situation, or at least wanting/trying to do so.

There has to be some calm now surely, I give it about 2-3 more days of this before  the international community begin to get really uncomfortable with their position of supporting Israel as it pens in and annihilates 2 million people in vengeful retribution.

James Cleverly is over there today pledging our unwavering support of Israel.

It’ll be interesting to see how much revenge is officially too much revenge.

It’ll be interesting to see our attitude towards anyone arriving on a small boat saying they are fleeing Hamas controlled Gaza and Israeli bombing.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â