Jlloyd Samuel

One For The Road

2 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

It's all downhill from there. :)

We're just going round in circles now :) 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

A very high percentage of top athletes are bankrupt five years after retirement. 

Was just reading about Bradley Wiggins yesterday. Had millions in the bank after winning Tour de France and Olympics in 2012 and just filtered away and now bankrupt. 

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Was just reading about Bradley Wiggins yesterday. Had millions in the bank after winning Tour de France and Olympics in 2012 and just filtered away and now bankrupt. 

You can't take it with you.  Personally think people care too much about possessions and money. Do these things make you happy? 

Just now, PaulC said:

You can't take it with you.  Personally think people care too much about possessions and money. Do these things make you happy? 

It still gives you stability. Wiggins apparently sofa surfing currently.

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It still gives you stability. Wiggins apparently sofa surfing currently.

Financial stability at a young age I don't think is a good thing. I'm sure Wiggins will bounce back. His name alone means he will never be homeless. According to shelter there are over 300k homeless people in UK. 

Anyway sorry for going off on a tangent. 

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Financial stability at a young age I don't think is a good thing. I'm sure Wiggins will bounce back. His name alone means he will never be homeless. According to shelter there are over 300k homeless people in UK. 

Anyway sorry for going off on a tangent. 

I'm homeless (due to domestic abuse), literally couch hopping. My ex has everything of mine, Inc my laptop and camera, so I've even struggled to earn money. It's awful.

2 minutes ago, Dodgyknees said:

I'm homeless (due to domestic abuse), literally couch hopping. My ex has everything of mine, Inc my laptop and camera, so I've even struggled to earn money. It's awful.

I'm.so sorry you are having to go through that. Been there myself and its horrible.  Things will get better for you though 

1 hour ago, Dodgyknees said:

Stay strong mate - you’ll get through it.

1 hour ago, GlobalVillan said:

Yeah because people can't have mental health issues, bad advisors, depression or any other human issues because of the size of their salary. 

Agreed mental health issues including depression are nothing to do with the things commonly thought to Make people feel happy including being a very rich professional sportsman who gets adoration from fans on top of more money than most people can comprehend ,it’s an illness that can hit anyone at anytime and is largely misunderstood. 

Edited by DaveAV1

2 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Yeah because people can't have mental health issues, bad advisors, depression or any other human issues because of the size of their salary. 

I didnt say that. What I will say is, you can afford the best in class help at least when your a millionaire, an they have people at the club to get it for them too. It's a huge priority in football now. When Samual was a player, it's wasn't taken too  seriously

In the end as a footballer, do you wanna be be a Deli Ali, or a Bellingham, it's a choice.

Edited by foreveryoung

2 hours ago, Dodgyknees said:

I'm sorry to hear that mate. Hope you can find a way to keep your chin up and get through this dark period. Life is full of twists and turns and there's always better times just around the corner. 

Wish you all the very best and feel free to PM me if you ever need someone to talk to.

Edited by GlobalVillan
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

When Samual was a player, it's wasn't taken too  seriously

We have an absolutely horrific history of looking after the welfare of our youth players especially which gets glossed over.  Thankfully that’s changed and they get the support and guidance they need… 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I didnt say that. What I will say is, you can afford the best in class help at least when your a millionaire, an they have people at the club to get it for them too. It's a huge priority in football now. When Samual was a player, it's wasn't taken too  seriously

In the end as a footballer, do you wanna be be a Deli Ali, or a Bellingham, it's a choice.

When Samuel was here we actually had Lorna McCelland as one of the first player liaison officers for a prem club. I know her main role was helping the foreign players like JPA settle in but I'm sure financial advice for players would've been part of her remit.

I think Jlloyd just wanted the bling lifestyle (MTV cribs etc) and thought it would last forever which is a trait of people struggling with addiction issues which I have experience of.

Also Merson. I remember Peter Schmeicel saying in his book that Merse used to give talks to the younger players here about the endless off the field mistakes he made and how to avoid them so again Jlloyd would've had that option.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

This is on again on ITVbe currently...just re-watching. His wife said the house was 17k mortgage and they had indoor swimming pool and bowling alley.

He was living like he was at Man. City not Bolton who were paying him 20k a week so they were living beyond their means a fair bit in those times and he was gambling heavily when injured/not playing so addiction element.

4k a week when moving to Iran so he could've done with the Saudi Arabia option in 2011.

Sometimes in life you just have to learn to downsize for a while until you get back on your feet.

Edited by VillaChris

On 16/06/2024 at 13:36, Dodgyknees said:

Im so sorry to hear this mate . Ive just seen it 😔

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â