The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

They should be able to dish out cards for the ridiculous simulation of injury that goes on as well.

Maddison is an absolute disgrace in that incident.

I am sympathetic to the view, but I think our current inconsistent applications of the rules would look like nothing compared to the ref trying to decide if a player felt enough contact to justify their reaction

While I understand fans moaning about the refs, clips like the above are why I think pretty much every player and manager in the league should keep their **** mouths shut. They spend all game looking for any opportunity to con the ref then scream and cry to the interviewers when the ref falls for it from the other team.

14 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I am sympathetic to the view, but I think our current inconsistent applications of the rules would look like nothing compared to the ref trying to decide if a player felt enough contact to justify their reaction

While I understand fans moaning about the refs, clips like the above are why I think pretty much every player and manager in the league should keep their **** mouths shut. They spend all game looking for any opportunity to con the ref then scream and cry to the interviewers when the ref falls for it from the other team.

Yeah that's why I think it needs to be retrospective and by a panel, it can be watched 100 times and still an opinion but at least that panel will have that time and the forum to discuss it and you can bring in old heads with experience but not the fitness to be a pitch ref anymore and it's away from the pressure of the stadium and the players 

Asking a pitch ref or VAR to do it in game imo is a big ask 

Also, me talking last week about VAR doing penalty reviews and being able to say yes or no but not being able to give a goal kick / corner decision following the review - has anyone ever been booked after a VAR review? Like a penalty review that's come back as that's a dive resulted in a yellow card?

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Michael Owen should push him a bit more too on the questioning. " If there was no studs whiy did they deem it a red?.  "How can 3-4 people come to the same, wrong conclusion?"

That would mean Michael Owen having individual thoughts

• Haha 2

Going back to last weekend's games, Howard Webb said that the pull by Van Dyke didn't impact Guehi's ability to get the ball so there was no need to overturn... Does that mean you can foul anyone in the box as long as it's far enough away from the ball? Surely any deliberate foul in the penalty area, whether the attacking player can get to the ball or not, should be a penalty? Especially when goals get ruled out for defenders who are nowhere near the ball getting blocked off (see us vs Man Utd a couple of years back). Also doesn't it just open up another grey area where different refs/VARs are going to have varying opinions of whether or not a player could reach a ball had they not been fouled? Just another nonsense loophole that can be adhered to (or not) depending on who's being refereed and who the decision might benefit/negatively impact.

Edited by oishiiniku_uk

38 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Going back to last weekend's games, Howard Webb said that the pull by Van Dyke didn't impact Guehi's ability to get the ball so there was no need to overturn... Does that mean you can foul anyone in the box as long as it's far enough away from the ball? Surely any deliberate foul in the penalty area, whether the attacking player can get to the ball or not, should be a penalty? Especially when goals get ruled out for defenders who are nowhere near the ball getting blocked off (see us vs Man Utd a couple of years back). Also doesn't it just open up another grey area where different refs/VARs are going to have varying opinions of whether or not a player could reach a ball had they not been fouled? Just another nonsense loophole that can be adhered to (or not) depending on who's being refereed and who the decision might benefit/negatively impact.

On the first bit, no, it doesn’t mean you can just foul in the box. What he’s saying is that the non-decision (assumed?) shouldn’t be overturned because Guehi can’t get the ball.

Of course, this is bollocks because Newcastle quite rightly got a penalty after Tarkowski hauled down Tonali(?) off the ball, with the ball not being near him and with the decision originally not given.

Webb and/or whichever referees speak on the telly don’t have any integrity. Their sole purpose is to protect referees - which is fine, but you can’t take their word as anything. It’s nonsense. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, bobzy said:

On the first bit, no, it doesn’t mean you can just foul in the box. What he’s saying is that the non-decision (assumed?) shouldn’t be overturned because Guehi can’t get the ball.

So...If the penalty had been given by the referee then VAR wouldn't overturn it, but because VAR has the advantage of hindsight they can just dismiss the foul because it didn't stop a goal-scoring opportunity? That seems ridiculous to me, and as you say, it was contradicted by Newcastle getting a penalty for something similar (albeit a much more dramatic foul). 'We're not going to get involved because the player wasn't going to get the ball (and also we don't want the negative publicity of being the ones who made Liverpool drop points)' - says it all, really...

29 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

So...If the penalty had been given by the referee then VAR wouldn't overturn it, but because VAR has the advantage of hindsight they can just dismiss the foul because it didn't stop a goal-scoring opportunity? That seems ridiculous to me, and as you say, it was contradicted by Newcastle getting a penalty for something similar (albeit a much more dramatic foul). 'We're not going to get involved because the player wasn't going to get the ball (and also we don't want the negative publicity of being the ones who made Liverpool drop points)' - says it all, really...

I don’t think it’s a Liverpool thing. People just want to run with that kind of narrative because “big club bias”…

…which obviously doesn’t exist because the Fernandes “red card” happened. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â